Author Topic: Where is your 'ancestral home'  (Read 6291 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is your 'ancestral home'
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 September 08 13:49 BST (UK) »
Theres two things here that bemuse/amuse me...

1. How you can go somewhere for the first time and feel really comfortable... and then find some of your ancestors were actually from there!

2. How sometimes families don't really move very far. I'm from the borders and have chased one live back to the reivers.

But as I started this thread... I feel that my ancestral 'home' is Lochfoot. My Dad used to spend a lot of time there as a boy and has many happy memories cycling there from Dumfries. I used to do a lot of running in Mabie forest which it and Hills wood border the 'family farm'.

I don't know about anyone else but its certainly made me feel a lot more at peace with myself and my surroundings.... just have to persuade my O/H that its a good idea to move back 'home'..... :D

Tx

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
My ancestral home feels like home but that's because it is.
Not very well travelled us country bumpkins. ;D

Offline wotty

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:49 BST (UK) »
My cousin and I put this down to something called ancestral memory. It's kind of imprinted in your subconscious. But surely if that was the case, you would have several places that gave you that feeling?

An odd thing happened to me in Rothbury. I did know that my great great grandfather was from there when I visited. I spent a few evenings trying to connect psychically with his spirit asking for some clues where to look next (well, you'll try anything if you have a brick wall like this one!). A couple of days later we decided to go for a pub lunch. There were a few to choose from but one appealed to me most. Fairly average pub lunch when we got inside. When I returned home I did some research about the pub and found that it had been owned in the 1860s by a person with the same name as my great great grandfather and someone with whom he had been living in 1841.

Clearly I wasn't specific enough when I was mentally asking Edward Pyle to make contact!
Meehan - Co Durham, Ireland, USA and Canada
Hopps -  Co Durham and N. Yks
Ward, Mortimer, Littleboy - Norfolk
Angus -  Co Durham
Pyle -  Co Durham and Northumberland
Rowntree -  N Yks and Co Durham
Ridley - Co Durham
Kelly -  Co Durham and Ireland

Offline 47813

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 02:49 BST (UK) »
This is a very good question

I guess on sheer number of people from one area, my ancestral home would be Rochdale, my birthplace.
However i was the very last of the last generation of certainly close family to be born in Rochdale, everyone has moved away now and even though having gone back with my tree and now feeling as if i'm related to half of Rochdale, i have to say as time goes by in my life i feel as if it is just that, the home of most of my ancestors.

Why?

1. because i left Rochdale when i was very small, too small to remember and so Preston where i've grown up feels like home. (Not that i've found anyone in my tree from Preston sadly - nearest was Blackpool)

2. Not all my branches come from Rochdale and that includes my lot, the Loughlin's

I would say like others have said, that your ancestral home is where you feel most comfortable and that for me is like i said - Preston
Though i still retain a fondness for Rochdale.

Jonathan
LOUGHLIN - Galway, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
HOWARTH - Rochdale
IVES - Rochdale. Originally Thurlstone, WR Yorkshire
BRIDGENS - Rochdale via Stourbridge
JACKSON - Prescot
PENKETH - Prescot
CONNOLLY - Kilmain, Ireland/Heywood, Lancs
WILD - Rochdale via Wolverhampton
SANDERSON - Rochdale
KNIGHT - Rochdale via Holme, Huntingdonshire
BARROW - Marton,Blackpool
DAGGER - Blackpool
BAILEY - Rochdale/Rushton, Staffordshire & Oldham
SERGINSON - London/Wolverhampton/Leeds/Manchester
BRIGGS - Doncaster

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 03:04 BST (UK) »
I've always had an affinity with the Welsh Borders, Herefordshire and mid-Wales. It was quite recently that I discovered that's where my roots are.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Ancestral memory is something that I'm sure is genuine ... and I'd go so far as to say it can go back millenia ... look at the native poeples in Australia; they have it. 

It sounds very far fetched, but when I lived in E. Africa, I felt a strong affinity with one area we visited many times; it was a feeling of 'I've been here before' ...

Some will say I'm being totally daft ... but I dont know ...    Early man came out of Africa ...

Right !  Maybe I need a strong cuppa coffee ...  ;D
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
I always thought my background was Lancashire, although I did know some of my mum's ancestors were from Lincolnshire, but having now done some research, I find that I am more Yorkshire than anything else, with Cheshire, Suffolk, Norfolk, Lincolnshire and Scotland thrown in.

Oddly though the place I feel most at home is around the Tarn and Lot in France.  The first time I went there I felt as if I knew the area and I didn't want to go home when the holiday was over - not the usual not wanting the holiday to end, but more that I was already at home and didn't want to go back to England.  As far as I know I don't have any French ancestors, although maybe that is the clue to my brickwall, who knows? ::)

I also love the sea - not the beach, can't stand the sand - but the rough rolling seas, I've since found out that some of my male ancestors were fishermen/trawlermen. 

Lizzie

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
Since i was a nipper I have always felt at home Up in the Mountains of North Wales!

Then (@17-18Yrs old) I started searching for My Ancestors, most of whom have lived within @1-2 Mile square (in Liverpool) since @1800 (some only moving 1 or 2 streets in a few Generations!

30+ years after starting my searchs I have recorded ancestors from:

Lancashire (pre-1800-to Present)

Cheshire (pre-1800)

Shropshire (pre-1860's)

Ireland (1808-C1855)

Prussea (pre-1850)

South Africa (C1920-Present)

New Zealand (C1945-Present)

Canada (C1910-?)

USA (C1945-Present)

& Caernarvonshire, North (Welsh) Wales

P.S.

On My First visit to Pwllheli, Caernarvonshire (@14-15Yrs old) we were looking for a good place for a Snack I lead the Family through a few streets to what turned out to be the best Cafe in the Town. ::) ;) ;D ;D

P.P.S.

I served My Time as an Apprentice Plater/Fabricator Welder, & now have found that even that is in My Genes (a few Ancestral Boilermakers & a couple of Blacksmiths). ;)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 10:42 BST (UK) »
Some will say I'm being totally daft ... but I dont know ...    Early man came out of Africa ...

Ummm....... I think you ought to Google continental drift  ;)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk