Author Topic: Moseley Hall Grammar School, Cheadle  (Read 15822 times)

Offline Ray Buckley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moseley Hall Grammar School, Cheadle
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 November 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
ve Blakelway, Pug, Mike Watson, Colin Cooper, Richard Crawford and I think I need a lie down now :-)

Offline Peter Mackness

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 January 18 20:11 GMT (UK) »
The teacher who liked to throw the blackboard duster was Mr Currie....he once threw it at me, I caught it and threw it back to him! Basher Forbes my x-country coach was a better marksman at duster throwing.
Creeper, the RI teacher was quite unique, he knew the bible off by heart, could recite any paragraph!
Mr Mathers I think was one name of drama teacher who we nicknamed drac, he would search out the smokers at break time!
It was Dickie Durrant the deputy to Mr Armishaw, to whom we arranged an undertakers  visit to his house on April 1st. I  sat in detention a few times with Dickie Durrant.
The Geography teacher Mr Grimshaw (Ted I think) ...sat in detention too and made you write out 100 times, "the fundamental principal of cartographic  technique, is to draw the outline in ink".
Syd Owens arrived in the 70's too, I used to clean his car and his neighbours for 2 shillings and sixpence.  Mr Siddel, my Latin teacher AKA Trogg, a very pleasant man,  passed away sadly with leukemia, he lived close to Mr Owens too on Etchels road.
Mr Lea, the French teacher was my arch enemy, told me I would be a failure to which I promptly replied, No sir, I will never be a teacher, I was a little rebel in many ways.
Another teacher was nicknamed noddy and reported to have been a stock car racer in his past.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

We received your messages saying that you wished to edit your thread, if you reply to the topic again with the correct message I can use it to edit the post for you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline uncle heFTy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 January 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Morning all, or few as it may seem,
I was at MHGS between 1959 and 1965 when we emigrated to Coventry.  My time at 'Mouldy Hole' was often a flashing memory as we lived in Poynton and the 6.1 miles from home (a walk and a bus-ride) seemed interminable. I was in 'Bulkely' House and played as 'house-hooker' - not being agile enough for football.  I remember well some of the guards - Cyril Armishaw, Dicky Durrant, Jack (Drac) Mathers, George Wilson, Mr Jones the music teacher, 'Basher' Forbes the PE 'teacher' or tortuer (I know its not a real word but is fits the bill!) My immediate 'coterie' were Bob van Gaalen, Rich Russell, Andy Trapp and Dennis/David Owen - for my sins I am Frank Tunney, oft called 'Fish Face' (Kids can be so hurtful, but astute!)

Offline skmlondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
I helped create the MHGS website run by Chris Pickles.  We were able to acquire a large number of photos, etc.    There are even O level, A level and S level papers.  I was there from 1962 until I left in 1967.  There a number of the large year photographs.  i organised a reunion for pupils from 1965 to 1968 at Stockport FC ground.  we had several teachers as well pupils.

Go to Chris' website and see what there is.

Offline elzabels

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 22:30 BST (UK) »
There is a facebook page

'Growing up in cheadle hulme'

with ex pupils on and info about Moseley Grammar School

Offline skmlondon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Moseley Hall Grammar School, Cheadlort
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 18:04 BST (UK) »
When I put together content for the website, I transcribed many of the articles in the school magazine, the Chedlian.  Sadly I was not able to scan the artwork as I did not have the technology then.
I have just read some of the articles from school trips to sport team information.
If you read them you will the names of many fellow pupils and teachers.

Chris Picking did a great great job of rescuing the site and adding lots of new content.

http://www.picklesnet.com/mhgs/index.htm

Enjoy