Author Topic: Dickinson family Bristol  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Dickinson family Bristol
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All
is anyone out there researching the Dickinson family from the Barton Regis area of Bristol ?
I am looking for any info on :
Frederick Charles Dickinson b 1839 Middlesex, London (moved to Bristol when young) watchmaker
Annie Dickinson (nee Wren) b 1851 Newport, Wales
Herbert William Dickinson b 1880
Sarah Ann Dickinson (nee Bragg) b 1879
Thanks
Westy
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dickinson family Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy

Other than connections to other researchers, is there anything we can help you with?

If you specify what you already know and what you need it helps to prevent duplication of effort.

Many thanks,

Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
this is what I know !!
Frederick Charles Dickinson b 1839 in Jolington (can't find this place)Middlesex, London. His father was also Frederick Charles born approx 1812 but no idea when exactly or where. Both him and his father are down on various census's as a watchmaker. On the 1881 census when he is about 42 he is down as being in the Barton Regis Union Workhouse,Stapleton, Bristol and thats the last I can find on him, no death etc.
His wife Annie Wren was born 1851 in Newport, Wales,again not sure, and have no marriage for them or who her parents were or when she died.
They had several children and Herbert William was my GGrandfather born 1880. His father must of died before 1891 as in that year he was in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital School, Bristol as a live in scholar and I can find his mother but not his father. He married Sarah Ann Bragg b 1879 in 1907, this I know as I have the marriage certificate. Her father was William Bragg and that is all I know about him. I have both the death certificates for them so I know when they died.
On their marriage certificate it has Herbert William down as the groom but also Herbert William down as his father. This I know is wrong so it makes me think that his father died young and he didn't know him and his mother had also died for him to put his own name down and not his father Frederick Charles. I have been in touch with the QEH school and on his admission record it has no father down and I presume that he was admitted on a scholarship because I don't think that they had much money
I hope this makes sense
Westy
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 September 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hmmm - for Jolington, at a guess I would say Islington (looks similar perhaps?)  Where did this info come from?

Watchmaker is an interesting occupation - have you looked for apprenticeship records?  If his father was also a watchmaker he was probably apprenticed at home but not necessarily.

Have you looked at the workhouse records for his admission?  They might also record his leaving the workhouse, or his death as appropriate.

I'm not sure where you are? You could try posting in Middlesex for look-ups of Fred's early life & hopefully someone can suggest where the Stepleton workhouse records are kept.

Kind regards, Arranroots
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
since I last posted I have been doing some digging and I now also think that Jolington is in fact Islington as I have found a reference to Clerkenwell which is very near. I have also found a reference in the Criminal Courts of Justice about an employee who stole tools from him and that was in Tabernacle Road off the City Road, London so in the same area. The Jolington/Islington reference was from the 1851 census.
I will try to access some apprenticeship records as there is a watch/clock makers museum in London which may hold them.
I am now in the process of locating any workhouse records which I presume will be from the GRO in Bristol.
I am in Hampshire so I will post something in the Middlesex section to see what turns up
Thanks for your help
Westy
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 15:01 BST (UK) »
I have posted in the Middlesex section and have had some really good answers within a few hours.
I was given a directory website which threw up a listing in the 1841 Post Office London Directory with an address in Northampton Square, ISLINGTON !!!
And someone looked him up in a book called, Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World: v. 2 by Brian Loomes, which has him being listed in Bristol in 1850. I have worked out that he must of moved from London in 1842-43 but why he moved his family after being born and bred in London I will probably never know.
Westy
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
Excellent result!

All you need now is someone going to the Bristol Record Office, isn't it?

:D ;)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:30 BST (UK) »
I think it may be worth doing the trip myself !!
The Records Office have been quite good at finding the school records but getting copies of the original admission forms is proving to be very slow, I know they must be busy but I have the bit between my teeth and am finding it hard to wait. Its funny how exciting this family history stuff can be !!!
westy
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 November 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
I am getting there !!!!
I now have the admission records for Herbert William Dickinson b1880 to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital School, Bristol and the Barton Regis workhouse records for the entry & death of Frederick Charles b1839. And I have just found today the marriage in 1836 of Frederick Charles b 1812 to Mary Ann Jackson after a long chase after the wrong Mary Ann !! I thinks that she is next on my list !!!!!
Thanks to all for the help and for the Bristol Records Office who have been fantastic and I never even had to go there in person
Westy
Dickinson - Bristol
Russell -Salisbury