Author Topic: Howard Avenel Bligh St. George  (Read 24407 times)

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howard Avenel Bligh St. George
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
The St. George family lived at the Ashorne Hill manor house and estate, near Leamington Spa from 1910 to 1915. Their second son H.A.B. St. George was killed in 1914 serving with the Life Guards. The family then moved to Coombe House, Kingston Hill in Surrey. Does anyone know anything about this house and the St. George family?

Jerry Murland
Co.Down: Murland
Sussex: Goode, Watts, Poole
Northamptonshire: Murland
East Yorkshire: Royle

Offline 1884

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Howard Avenel Bligh St. George
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George_Baronets

He died at Ypres didn't he?  As far as I am aware so did a couple of his close relatives.  Obviously he was from the same line as the St George's above who at the time had emigrated to South Africa, where another two of them were killed during WW1.  The current baronetcy above is from Ireland, but the line goes back to the village of Hatley St. George in Cambridgeshire where the family's ancient seat was. Hence the Hatley manor on St George's Terrace.   

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 08 16:44 BST (UK) »
Interesting! Do you know any more about the others who died at Ypres? His brother Howard escaped to the USA and avoided the war. What I have so far is:
Robert St. George - gentleman b. Galway
James Richard Bligh St. George b. 1842 Galway - uncle?
Howard Bligh St. George b. 1857 married Evelyn Baker in 1891. She was daughter of the seriously minted George Fisher Baker the New York financier.

I have not made any link to the St. George baronecy yet.

Jerry

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Jerry, I have been interested in Howard Avenel Bligh St. George since I saw a book about him in the bookshop at the In Flanders Field museum in the cloth hall Ypres, Belgium. It was his splendid name plus the photo on the front of the book which caught my attention. He was in his full ceremonial Life Guards  Kit and was a rather priggish looking young man-haughty and with a very upturned nose. I didn`t buy the book on that occasion- some six years ago and on subsequent visits it has been unavailable,out of print. He died on 15th november 1914 and is buried in the Churchyard of Zillebeke Church with a few others, not a military cemetary. There is a stained glass window to his memory which we could not see the church being closed and we could not make out from the outside which it was,. Although you say you have not made any connection with the Baronetcy St. George the names Avenel and Bligh and even Howard appear through the generatons of the Athlone Baronetcy St. George. The Carrickfergus line is extinct according to the info I got from the internet. Whom do you mean when you say his brother H oward fled to America to escape the war? He was called H0ward. It has been difficult tracing him because he appears in records as Avenel St. George or St. George Avenel. as if Avenel was his surname and the Howard bit I`ve only found out this week after several year`s search. Hope this is useful to you.He was a second Lt. in The First Life Guards  and Zillebeke is just S.E of Ypres near Gheluveldt where there was fierce fighting and also at Hooge here ther were heavy losses. I will endeavour to find exactly where he fell and if he was killed on the battlefield or if he died at a dressing station. It`s all very sad isn`t it Cheerio. Viktoria.

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 04:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi Jerry !

Heres news of his death in NY Times November 26 1914 ... he was the grandson of a New York banker !

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9C07EEDA1438E033A25755C2A9679D946596D6CF

Annie  :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Victoria

What was the name of the book? I have not heard of a book about him. I have all the details of where he fell thanks - its not the military bits I need, its his family detail that interests me. The cemetery where he is buried is an official CWGC War Cemetery, registered as an exension of the Zillebeke Churchyard. His brother - name escapes me at the moment - fled to America.

Jerry

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie.

Jerry

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Victoria

What was the name of the book? I have not heard of a book about him. I have all the details of where he fell thanks - its not the military bits I need, its his family detail that interests me. The cemetery where he is buried is an official CWGC War Cemetery, registered as an exension of the Zillebeke Churchyard. His brother - name escapes me at the moment - fled to America.

Jerry    Sorry Jerry ,can`t remember but there is also a leaflet about him kept in Ypres town archives which is available to view but not actually touch!Would his brother be George St. George?Are you connected to the family in any way?I sent off to the 1st Life Guards for a copy of the book but what came was the "diary" of the L.G. not about him. I particularly wanted the photograph, it was so striking, he looked so haughty and quite magnificent with all the polished breastplate ,helmet which of course had the long horsehair "tassel",thigh high shiny boots  and such a superior expression. I am so angry with myself for not getting the book. we will be visiting Ypres again someday and will look again for it .  will also take details of the leaflet. Were they Baronets or a junior branch of the main family? Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 November 08 21:20 GMT (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_George_Baronets

He died at Ypres didn't he?  As far as I am aware so did a couple of his close relatives.  Obviously he was from the same line as the St George's above who at the time had emigrated to South Africa, where another two of them were killed during WW1.  The current baronetcy above is from Ireland, but the line goes back to the village of Hatley St. George in Cambridgeshire where the family's ancient seat was. Hence the Hatley manor on St George's Terrace.   
[/ quote]   Hi, I was pleased to see some info regarding this young man whom I have been searching for since I saw a book about him in the museum bookshop at Ypres war museum "In Flanders Field"I unfortunately can not remember the title and I am kicking myself for not buying it at the time because it is unavailable now-or was the last time we went to Ypres. We have visited his grave at Zillebeke Churchyard and seen a leaflet about him kept in the town archives. So precious you may not touch it!We will be visiting Ypres again some day and hope to find it i s in print again. Any info will be much appreciated. H.A.B.st. G. was a magnificent figure in his full uniform- he looked so young and yet very haughty, quite distinctive features. Cheerio. Viktoria>