Author Topic: Seeking Lily Kitchen's resting place  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Exiled Mancunian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking Lily Kitchen's resting place
« on: Tuesday 30 September 08 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My paternal great-grandmother died 9th Oct 1958 at Newcastle General Hospital. She was living at the time at 43 Sawton (Santon?) Street, Gosforth and her death was registered by her son-in-law J G Martin, of the same address.

Does anyone know where she would be buried and if it is possible to get a photo of the grave?

Any help, however small, greatly appreciated.

Exiled Mancunian
Lancashire: Platt, Peckett, Gradwell, Garlick, Roscoe, Redmayne, Calvert, Jagger
Cheshire: Roscoe, Edge
Yorkshire: Jagger

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Lily Kitchen's resting place
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 January 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Exiled Mancunian

Good news I believe have found where she is buried! :).

I first tried looking for death notices/memoriams but didn't find any.  Likely because as you will see from her burial she is not recorded as Lily Kitchen.  In the burial her surname looks to be 'Slatt' - even several of the staff at the Newcastle library couldn't make out the surname properly although one seemed to think that it was Slatt.  If you can confirm what this may have been I will have another go looking for any notices which you may also like to have - if there are any.

Hollywood Cemetery, Gosforth
Lily (Slatt?)
Entry No: 1.174
Buried 14 October 1958
Age 72
Residence: 42 Santon Street
Place of death: Newcastle General Hospital
Consecrated
Vol: 2
Section E: Grave No: 244
Ceremony by: (N?) R Jackson

Record found at Newcastle City Library on microfilm 2148.

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 January 18 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass

If it helps, the only death on Free BMD In Newcastle Q4 1958 for a lady called Lily, aged 72 has the surname PLATT.

I think that perhaps Kitchen was her maiden name?

Looks like a James G Martin married a Dorothy Platt in 1944, Manchester

A Dorothy Platt (MMN Kitchen) was born 1925, Manchester

and a Lily Kitchen married either an Arthur Platt or a Walter Charles Rimington in Chorlton in 1907

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 18 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo and Exiled Mancunian,

Yes, Boo you are correct as it turns out! :). Exiled Mancunian has now been in touch and is very pleased indeed that Great Grandmother Lily's final resting place has now been located after 10 years after original post! ;D  EM had accidentally posted Lily's maiden name instead of married name.  Perhaps this may be why it has taken so long to get closure on this as anyone looking for death notices (to find burial place) under the name of 'Kitchen' and not finding any may have simply not had time to search further and given up. :-\

I am very happy to have been able to have found Lily's burial entry for you after such a long time of waiting, EM.  I will have another try at looking for notices when I can fit another library trip in within the next few weeks. :)

And to the rare RootsChatters who may not have received an answer to a long-time post - never give up hope!  :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
I have checked for notices for Lily Platt but unfortunately I have not been able to find any. :-\

Offline Exiled Mancunian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi River Tyne Lass,

Many thanks for trying. Unfortunately you can't be lucky every time.

Exiled Mancunian
Lancashire: Platt, Peckett, Gradwell, Garlick, Roscoe, Redmayne, Calvert, Jagger
Cheshire: Roscoe, Edge
Yorkshire: Jagger