Author Topic: jones family  (Read 42294 times)

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: jones family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 October 08 18:39 BST (UK) »
Oh good, so at least we're on the right track ;D

I'm having difficulty in finding the Dodds in earlier censuses; there are other Dodds in the area, possibly related to your ones.  It's not a very common name for Breconshire in those times. 

There's a possible 1841 entry, which could be John's father William with his own parents:

1841 HO107 1370 8 7 6 and 7
Tynanin? North Gwenddwr
William DODD 65 Farmer, looks like N in "Whether born in same county"
Margaret Wife 45 Y
William Son 20 no occupation stated Y

So perhaps this William Dodd came from Ireland?

Possible marriage for William and Ann, John's parents:

Sep Qtr 1846 Builth Vol 26 Page 419
William DODD
Ann WILLIAMS

Glad to hear your cousin is still around; it's amazing what info they can come up with.  And I would recommend getting some later birth and/or marriage certificates so that you can confirm or discount the census info that we've found.

Kind regards
Gaie

Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline acer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 October 08 21:19 BST (UK) »
HI Gaie   You are defiantly on the right line,in the 1871 census it was Tynwaen have an idea where that was. Have found out that   William Dodd 39years married  Ann Williams (Middle Gletwin farm in Gwenddwr),they had three children
 MARGARET 11years is she Enoch's wife
MARY 6 and JOHN
There is also William Dodd married Margaret Morgan three children John  JANE is she the aunt dressmaker at the vron in1901 census  and WILLIAM
Some of this information has come from Powy's family history Margaret Morgan died 20 May 1864 77years  buried at Baluhalog chapel  have no paper work on any of this
These are the Dodds I am looking for, but where do we go back to Ireland  every one I have spoken to understood we did
Any more help you can give would be really appreciated
ThanksACER

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 October 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Acer

Perhaps now is the time to buy some certificates, as I've already suggested, just to check that we are pursuing the right families.

Birth: JONES Enoch Mar Qtr 1845 Builth (includes Gwenddwr & Crickadarn, as noted for his birthplace in censuses) Vol 26 Page 302

is a possibility.  This will confirm his mother's maiden name so that you can look for a marriage for his parents.

Kind regards
Gaie

Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE

Offline acer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi gaie
Where do i go to purchase Enoch and Margaret's marage certificate I know his fathers name was John and mother was Mary something, it is Marget,s side that should take me back to Ireland so will her father or mother be on it.
Thanks Acer

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Acer

This is the GRO website for purchasing certificates:

https://www.gro.gov.uk

You have to register, but that's so they can e-mail confirmation of your order.  Each certificate costs £7.

The marriage reference for ordering is:

Oct/Nov/Dec Qtr 1868
District: Builth
Volume: 11b
Page: 199
 so click yes when asked if you know what the reference is (or however they word it!!).

This is for the possible marriage of Enoch JONES and Margaret DODD.

Marriage certificates have spaces for the bride and groom's fathers' names and occupations.

Do let us know how you get on  :)

Kind regards
Gaie

Offline acer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 07 November 08 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaie,
 Sorry i have not been around for awhile Have had some contact with Enoch's oldest daughter Elisabath's descendants who are also trying to find his father John's grave He apparently died at Abergwendwr  he had a brother called William  born 1817 also llandefally. Where would be the best place to look to find there parents
Thanks Acer

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 07 November 08 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Acer
Good to see you back again!!

I'll have to read through this thread again to see where we'd got up to.  So you're looking for the parents of John Jones and William Jones, possibly brothers, born Llandefalle/y, is that right?

According to the Hugh Wallis site, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm , which allows us to search the IGI Batch Numbers for named parishes, the earliest baptisms for Joneses listed in Llandefalle (1772-1847) are c1840  ???

In the 1861 Census John, Enoch's father, gives a birthplace of Merthyr Cynog, and there is a John Jones christened 31st October 1813 to John Jones and Margaret.  No William is showing for the same parents.  Of course, I don't know if this is the right family, and Merthyr Cynog is about 7-8 miles from Llandefalle across country....

Kind regards
Gaie

Offline acer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 November 08 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaie
Thanks for the reply. Been told John died third August 1899 at Abergwenddwr I found a Jones Tree on Genusreunited done by Barrie his wife replied he sadly died two  years ago she says he descends from Johns brother William who was born 1817 William is a family name and  she also said  there fathers was called John  Not sure she is right although birthdates make it a possibility Was given a phone number last night of distant relation who may have some information
Bye for now Margaret.

Offline Mev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Acer
My first time on so hope this goes ok. I think it is my tree on Ancestry if you want to contact me via there. John Dodd died 19 April 1917 aged 70 and is buried at Bryn Sion, Gwenddwr as is his wife Margaret (nee Jones).
John Jones & His wife Mary (nee Davies) & son William are all buried at St Marys, Crickadarn. Mary's parents Enock & Ann (nee Jones) Davies are also at St Marys.  I have pictures of the graves for a lot of the Jones/Dodd families and certificates to share. :)