Author Topic: FISHER James, Kingham m Rachael HALE  (Read 2973 times)

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FISHER James, Kingham m Rachael HALE
« on: Wednesday 01 October 08 16:48 BST (UK) »

Has anyone any information on the above James FISHER? c1720 or so, maybe in Kingham, Oxon. Married Rachael c1739 - 1749 - in Kingham?  Grateful for any information. Thanks to all.
Pat W

Offline cuddrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER James, Kingham m Rachael HALE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 16 16:47 BST (UK) »
This is a really old thread but I thought someone might appreciate some updated information on James Fisher of Kingham: he was baptised on 11th October 1717 in Shellingford near Faringdon, Oxfordshire, son of James Fisher & Anne (possibly Claridge but still to be confirmed). I've been able to establish a paper trial which shows that James snr. died in 1719 when James jnr. would have been barely 2 years old and it seems likely that his mother remarried and moved to Kingham. James jnr.'s sisters Temperance, Elizabeth & Judith (all baptised in Shellingford between 1709 & 1716) are all listed in the Oxfordshire Archdeacon’s Marriage Bond Index as living in Kingham between 1729 & 1735. I haven't been able to confirm when or where James himself married but there is an entry in the Oxford Diocese Marriage Bonds and Affidavits from July 31st 1748 which lists James Fisher husbandman of Kingham aged 30 & Rachel Hale of Kingham aged 28 at St. Mary the Virgin, Oxford.

James snr. was also baptised in Shellingford in December 1671, son of another James Fisher & Temperance Tompson.

Hope this information is of help to someone!

Offline historyman73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
This is great information - excellent stuff.  Nice to know where the name Temperance came from.  Really appreciate you following up this post.

Best wishes

Dave

Offline cuddrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 16 16:17 BST (UK) »
My pleasure - glad to be of help.

James Fisher & Rachel Hale were most likely married at St Mary the Virgin in Oxford but there was a change of parish incumbent or clerk around the time they were granted their licence so the marriage was not recorded.

I'm still on the hunt for the marriage of James' parents, James & Anne Claridge (ca. 1705) but this is also proving elusive - it doesn't appear in the Oxfordshire marriage index but Shellingford was actually part of Berkshire until 1974 and lies close to the Wiltshire border so the marriage may well appear somewhere in those counties. Another researcher claimed that the Shellingford Fishers were linked to the Liddington Fishers, a one-time wealthy family but I have found no evidence of this.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
There are just these 2 James FISHER marriages recorded at Shellingford

10 May 1643
James FISHER & Elianor HASEL of Childrey

19 Feb 1670/71
James FISHER & Temperence TOMSON

Kim

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Nice piece of work CUDDRM

Well done and thanks for sharing
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline historyman73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 16 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Cuddrm

Can I ask what leads you to the conclusion that the eldest Anne was a Claridge?  Has that been inferred from the beneficiary of a will perhaps?

Offline cuddrm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 May 16 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

In James Snr.'s will written on August 15th 1719 he refers to his brother-in-law William Claridge or Charidge as one of the overseers of his will, together with his father, the James Fisher who married Temperance Tompson.

I haven't been able to take the Fisher tree further back as I can find no baptism record for the eldest James Fisher - his wife Temperance Tompson was baptised in Shellingford in November 1649. So many of the parish registers in the area were not maintained during the civil war period that his baptism record may simply be lost.

Offline 140BPkRd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 July 23 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I'm late to the party, but thanks for sharing the information. I could not get past James Fisher jnr in my research, even visit to Kingham and Whatcote did not yield any information so very gratefull for your insight.