Author Topic: Thomas Laidlaw  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Thomas Laidlaw
« on: Thursday 02 October 08 21:45 BST (UK) »
Thomas Laidlaw died in 1823 (5th September) - according to his testament.
He was of Nether Cassock, parish of Eskdalemuir.  However I have quite a bit of material about Eskdalemuir, Ewes, Westerkirk, Langholm and Hutton but cannot find a memorial for him.

I know that his only son was Robert and that he Robert was at Nether Cassock in 1841.  He was with his wife Jean (ms Beattie) and two of his children (probably) Mary and John.  Robert was born 1798/99 and Jean in 1804/1805.

I am more interested at the moment in indentifying more about Thomas's family and wondered if, for example, he had been buried in the parish of Hawick.  I do know there was a Laidlaw family at Falnash, then in Hawick parish.

The first person at Nether Cassock in 1841 was a Mrs.  T  Laidlaw, aged 65 and Independent and born in Dumfriesshire.

Can anybody help, please?

Reiver

Offline irvinemg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Laidlaw
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 November 08 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Reiver.

Not able to help much, other than my Grt Grt Grandmother was
a Beattie and married William Irvine at Roberton near Hawick in 1819.

William worked for Sir Walter Scott's first cousin Charles Scott whom aquired
Milsington Farm Roberton in 1831. My Grt Grt Grandfather didn't stay long
after Charles Scott became Tennant, and moved with Sir Walter Scott's Factor William Laidlaw, to Loch Broom Rossshire after Sir Walter died in 1832.

My William's sister Betsy Irvine married Robert Laidlaw at Roberton in 1820 and worked on the next farm to William. Robert & Betsy Laidlaw moved to
Guelph Ontario in 1829/31 about the same time as Milsington Farm changed
hands.

See my Royal Household site re William Laidlaw and Catherine Irvine of
Peebles SCT.

Best wishes

Mike Irvine.

Offline jhayesch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Laidlaw
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Reiver,
The 1820 Will for James Scott of Skelfhill - lists Thomas Laidlaw tenant in Cassock as an uncle.
Do you have information related to Thomas Laidlaw's siblings and their spouses - and also Thomas Laidlaw's parents ?
Thanks and regards,
Jaime
ARCHIBALD, BIRD, BURNETT, CRANSTOUN, DAND, LORIMER, ROSE, SLIGHT, THOMSON, TROTTER, VEITCH, WIGHT, WILSON, CRAIG, HAYES, HAY