Author Topic: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson  (Read 25958 times)

Offline jmcmh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donegore - Bryson-Wilson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Ruth - something that might interest you - our church, First Donegore Presbyterian Church, is in the process of preparing a book on the history of the church and district back to 1627 when the church was formed. It originally met in the Donegore Church of Ireland and eventually moved to the nearby village of Parkgate. This book should be published sometime next year. Names like Bryson, Wilson, Ferguson, Warwick etc crop up quite frequently in the book.
Second Donegore Presbyterian Church has recently published a book "A History of Second Donegore Presbyterian Church" in which similar names appear, covering the history of that congregation from around the mid 17 hundreds.

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 October 08 00:50 GMT (UK) »
This is wonderful info, I would be very interested in buying this
when it is ready.  Please let me know how I can get info on doing
that.

Thanks again for taking the time to pass this info on to me.  I am most appreciative.

Regards
Ruth

Offline Ladygrey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 July 09 18:10 BST (UK) »
hI

I noticed some chat re Bryson on the rootschat site .
I happened to be at the cemetary at Dunnamuggy today while looking for my Great grandfathers headstone and saw 2 Bryson headstones.
I have attached photos which if you zoom in you will see pretty well all the inscriptions.

Good Luck

Seems the attachment is too large, if you wish to let me have an email address I will send them

Brian McGregor

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline turbonator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 13:47 BST (UK) »
I have been to Connor Cemetery a couple of times and there are some Warwick graves there. If you check www.thebraid.co.uk they list the headstones in Connor cemetery.
Hope this helps
McComb, McCammon, Douglas, Currie, Turbitt, McCrudden, Whittley

Offline ruthamy05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I will check this out for sure.

Offline turbonator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 07:40 BST (UK) »
No problem. I also have the telephone number of the caretaker of the graveyard who can tell you when a grave was bought and by whom. Let me know if you need it.
Amanda
McComb, McCammon, Douglas, Currie, Turbitt, McCrudden, Whittley

Offline AnneFerguson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Ruth- I came across this  link with connections to my Ferguson ancestors, and seems to say Agnes Gawn, who married Francis Ferguson, had a brother John and their uncle was a John Bryson (possibly their mother was a Bryson.

Agnes and Francis were married in 1st Donegore Presbyterian Church 10 May 1821
Hope that might help, Anne

http://www.gawnfamilystory.co.uk/WillofJohnGawn1822A.htm

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:31 BST (UK) »
There is a book called, “Records of the Clan and Name of Fergusson, Ferguson and Fergus” published in 1895.  There was a supplements to the book published in 1899.  Both have sections on the Fergusons of the Parkgate/Doagh area (there were two possibly unrelated families – I’m connected to both).

The supplements has this to say about the James Ferguson who married Jane Bryson:

“James (1798-1862), son of Adam of Ballywee, migrating Penn., USA, 1845, m. 1st Jane Bryson, and had issue – Thomas, Jane, Margret, and Ellen; 2nd, Ann McKee, and had issue – James McKee, Francis, and Martha.”

The above fits with the First Donegore church records, though there was another son called James born in 1832 who must have died young.

I’m not sure exactly when James married Rose Ann McKee, but their first child was James McKee Ferguson born in 1838.  So Jane Bryson must have died between 1832-1838 and is probably buried at Donegore.

Anne – are you a descendant of Francis Ferguson and Agnes Gawn?  There’s a good chance Agnes’ maternal grandparents were James Bryson (c1746-1832) and Elizabeth ? (c1745-1831) - headstone in Kilbride Burying-ground.

Also, Ballywee is sometimes called Ballyvoy.  And the townland is split across two parishes.  Both of which makes it a little more confusing.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am glad Gilby mentioned that Ballywee is sometimes noted as Ballyvoy. In a hurried post on the midantrim acncestry site I mistyped Ballyvoy as Ballyboy, when I noted the Gawn,Bryson and Ferguson connections. I was also meant to mention that there have been discussions on Fergusons in this site by Gilby.

John Bryson of Ballyvoy Kilbride died ?3 Sep 1859 (though I have a not that the will may have been written 1839).John mentions his brother James Bryson in the USA, who has a son Robert. John also had a brother Robert. Also sister Mrs Elizabeth Mackey wife of William of Grahamstown.

There are wills for Brysons and Fergusons of Kilbride in PRONI.

Cheers

Linda