Author Topic: Capper family  (Read 14703 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Capper family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 October 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. Plenty of food for thought. I think the next move is to find Malcolm's birth details/certificate to try and get his mum's first name.

Brie

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 October 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
William and Rachel Capper were witnesses at my grandfather's marriage  in 1885 in Lurgan Methodist Church. and my grandfather was witness at their wedding.  I will PM you with an email address of someone who has a lot of info on Capper in that area.  RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Brie
I have a connection to the Capper family of Armagh. My gggrandfather's sister Jane McIvor married Joseph Capper in1906 in belfast. Census returns show that joseph was born in Armagh but no exact location. He was a grocer too. I think there is some connection to your Capper family.

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 January 09 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am sorry but I seem to have missed the most recent messages.

Rosemary Joan I will follow that lead up thank-you. I just need some time to marshall all the evdience I have and work out my questions. Then I will contact the person you mention and let you know how I get on.

Liscoole, there may well be a connection. However, by 1906 the branch of Cappers I am interested in had moved to Liverpool. The head of this family was Malcolm Capper who was born in Lurgan in 1847 and who moved to Liverpool in the early 1870s. His father was Joseph Capper, a grocer  (I believe in Ireland) but he will be older than your Joseph Capper (unless your Joseph married very late in life) though he could easily be a relative. I don't know at this stage whether or not Malcom had any brothers. I expect so and your Joseph could be a brother or a nephew. If I find any more about this family I will let you know.

Best wishes
Brie

Offline mmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 April 10 15:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a john capper born armagh around 1870, i have traced him in belfast on 1911 census being aged 40, but his death cert says he died 1917 aged 50. listed as rc and a widower so i would like his birth or marraige which i'm assuming was in co armagh. he had a son james born 1891 in armagh then another son john born c.1893 in belfast so he moved to belfast around this time. thanks

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 April 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
mmcc,
         I cannot find your 40 year old John Capper in Belfast on the 1911 census!!

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 April 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
mmcc,
         I cannot find your 40 year old John Capper in Belfast on the 1911 census!!

Regards

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001537962/

If this is the right one then the surname is spelt CAPPA.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 April 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks TF13, found him now. It gives another problem. I can find three possible marriages but none are Roman Catholic.

9 Apr 1887 John CAPPA married MaryHutchison in Armagh Church of Ireland
25 Dec 1882 John CAPPER married Margaret Green in High St. Mrthodist Church Lurgan
29 Nov 1890 John CAPPER married Margaret McMinn in High St. Methodist Church Lurgan.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mmcc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 April 10 21:42 BST (UK) »
The name capper was commonlly spelt wrong it is listed as cappa in the 1911 census, 30 roumania street the daughter sarah is my great grandmother, i am trying to trace back john snr. he is aged 40 on the census but 50 on a his grave so he was either born 1867 or 1871. thanks for help.