Author Topic: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings  (Read 44669 times)

Offline Pety

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 December 10 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Can anybody tell me what the cafe was originally, that fronts the A34.
 Regards sue45.

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 December 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
The Monica was orginally one building with two metal door entrances facing each other. The one on the left was the cafe and the one on the right the village shop. I recall getting bread, not bread as we see today but loaves about two foot long and you asked for a portion, sugar in blue bags, and I recall exchanging food coupons. The cafe had about three windows which were leaded and square tables but i cannot remember the type of chairs. Afternoon tea and coffee but I cannot remember lunches as I lived locally. I hope this information is of help

Offline jaholroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 December 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Looks to be in the right place, The mention of used by the services would fit also, the views put the buildings to the south of the lane approach with the remnant blue walling bricks.

Offline jaholroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 December 10 00:49 GMT (UK) »
As regards Dog Kennel Lane , I was under the impression from my mum that it was the road that took off from the Whitmore road towards Newcastle, at the top of the hill, as we used to live down a small lane off it in a 'double decker' caravan, but do correct me if I am wrong.
Shame they trashed the outdoor pool I went to and the old minature railway too. I remember the Monica cafe as a sort of chintzy sort of cafe and the old entrance to the grounds and lots more.

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 December 10 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Re Dog Kennel Lane. This lane was named after the Dog kennels which was owned by the Duke of Sutherland, on the right hand side leaving Trentham you go over the river Trent, then you see a small cottage with a farm gate this house which was known then as the Kennels ( now extended) was for the kennels helpers and further down the road used to be the dog Kennels,It was a white building and had another entrance where the road is now called Fairway.  During the war it was the depot for Red cross ambulances, The reason I know this as I was a child living in the kennels house. The dog Kennels house was knocked down when the new estate was built. The area you mention about the double decker caravan, I recal that was on the area by Northwood lane which does lead to Clayton and then Newcastle.

Offline jaholroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 December 10 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Northwood Lane rings a bell,  Dog Kennel Lane was often referred to but I never saw a sign as such! The photos you mentioned are a great collection, and with maps from Oldmaps I can follow the plans up to 1952 when my dad was C/O there. The lane also went up to the redundant Trentham Park Station it seems.

Offline Pety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank-you VeraH, for the reply to my query regarding the Monica cafe.
Sue45.

Offline bailzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 December 10 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I cannot seem to find any photos of the Priory mansion which was owned by the  Wengers in Trentham, If anyone knows of any sources of pictures could you please let me know it would be greatly appreciated
I am now going to try and describe the old house from what i can remember as an 11 year old back in 1961 as i feel there should be some written record of the old property.  If anyone can add anything at all please contact me and i will update my description.
The old Priory mansion which I think it was called was  owned by the Wenger  family I have no idea of any dates etc,  and was situated on the road now aptly called Wenger Crescent. If you were to come up from the A34 nearly opposite the Poachers Cottage Restaurant, (formerly the Cafe Monica), to the left of the cemetery and mausoleum you will come to the original gate posts of the driveway, go up to the top of the road and turn right on to Werburg  Drive, take the next left which is Wenger Crescent and the house occupied a large site on the left hand side of the road, down as far as the old Cedar tree, if it is still there.   On the other side of Wenger Crescent, opposite the old house were the tennis courts, possibly two, and some overgrown garden If you looked across the road to the left of the house was a small coppice with a formed archway running towards the rear or the house ,which you could walk through.  Then you had the house, I can remember it being a very old large ivy clad house, though i  cannot recall just how many downstairs and upstairs windows there were, in my thoughts there was Five or Six windows of each, and in the middle of the house on the lawn was a very old rotten Oak tree.  To the right of the house was another overgrown garden, I can remember  a six or eight sided  fountain made from sandstone panels being there. If you went down to the right of the house you came to the wine cellar go down the steps into the cellar and you could see the many wine racks  which by now were all empty, all except for a few remaining full soda siphons (what good fun they were).  Carrying on down the side of the house you were blocked by part of the stables so you had to turn right to the end of the building to where i think there was a possible road. I can recall there being a large wall on the other  side of the “road” With a very large lean to greenhouse attached to it,  I can remember picking grapes from the old vine which rambled through the greenhouse both inside and outside where it had found its way passing through the many broken panes.  Going between the end stable and the greenhouse wall then turn left there was stables on both sides of a cobbled road, again I cannot remember just how many  stables there were possibly Ten or Twelve.  Looking down between the stables I think you would see the driveway which you came up from the A34.  Before the housing estate was built  there were acres of fields, most probably used mainly as pasture and grazing land.  I do not know where the Wengers property borders were, at a guess I think they may have  run from near to the A34 to New Inn Lane, and the other way from close to the old railway line , just behind Werburg Drive  on the left down as far as the brook on the right.  Unfortunately  I cannot recall much more on the  Wengers Priory Mansion, so if anyone can add too or correct anything I have got wrong it would be greatly appreciated.
  P.S. What a wonderful house this would have been. I.  Thanks for reading this, hope someone will come up with some more pieces of the jigsaw     Thanks Bailzie

Offline Trekker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
 VeraH brought back some fine memories of Trentham. It was the Trentham I knew in the 30s and 40s. Trentham Gardens was paradise.  So was the park. We didn't have much of anything. But compared to today's standards we had more. How can I forget Trentham Parochial School? There was a narrow pathway just below Wenger's driveway to the right, which we took. The main entrance was further down opposite an old rambling post office building-bars on the windows-and two entrances.
The school had three playgrounds. One for the girls on the left and the other two for boys. There was a lower playground, and a brick slope connecting it to the top playground. On the left of the upper playground Wenger's apple and pears were lodged behind a brick wall topped with some wire. It failed to keep us out. Wenger's apples were the best.
 Between the rough and tumble of Trentham kids versus Hanford kids, we also faced canings by Miss Blakemore for crimes committed against humanity - snowballing, not learning poems, and, lateness.  Usually, four slashes across the hand.  A Mr. Mellor was the headmaster and dwelled in an abutting house in the girl's playground.  Later, Mr Goldstone, who drove and maintained the Garden's trains, resided there with his family.
The school consisted of a kindergarten on the right of the Main Entrance, a single classroom on the left of a hallway, which led to the largest classroom boasting a concertina-style folding wall.  At a school concert-Christmas, I believe- I recall one young singer bringing the house down with her rendition of a song - "...nice people with nice manners, but, got no money at all." I believe her name was Miss Darling.
The Mauseleum always scared us at night and it was a dare to walk by it. There was a cold stone house next to the upper playground fronting on Wenger's driveway once used by the schoolmaster.  It was cold - like the Arctic. We briefly held the first Trentham Scout Troop meetings there.
One noon time, my sister and I took a bag of potatoe chips and sat at a table in the Monica Cafe crunching the chips between margerine sandwiches. Naturally, we were politely asked to leave, unless we wanted tea. We couldn't afford tea, so we left.
 There were some beautiful  historical black and white half-timbered houses lining the driveway into the school house. At the outset of the war, a company of Newfoundland Pioneers were billeted there.  Later, a NAAFI quonset hut was erected next to the school to serve soldiers. With some pennies we were able to buy some of their biscuits.
  A large partially submerged air raid shelter was dug in on an upper level overlooking the girl's playground. We were all treated to a few visits during fly overs by Goering's "finest."  It was a dank, dark tube, the only light was emitted from a blue curtain at the end of the shelter which served as a lavatory.  Fortunately, we spent little time there.
   Soldiers dug in machine gun emplacements below the railings next to the mauseleum facing the park entrance.  And, on the road to Stone on a hill belonging to the Trentham Golf Course a round white pillbox appeared one day - a standout target. Wenger's field abutting Longton Road and Stuart Avenue were dotted with long poles to thwart glider landings. Trentham Lake was festooned with booms just below the surface of the water, designed to wreck any seaplane landings.
Village kids used to race through a copse from  Stone Road into Wenger's field next to Brook Road, fearful that someone was always chasing them. Little is left of the copse.  The old chicken house was demolished.
  POWs were seen in the village tightening barbed wire on barricades next to the Barlaston Old Road, where the signposts had been removed. We had an active CD and Home Guard presence - always on guard, always practicing.
  Village constables marched in front of their Longton Road HQ in steel helmets and sloped arms during the opening days of the war.