Author Topic: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings  (Read 44670 times)

Offline Alan Mansell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 17:11 BST (UK) »
Not all our history can be found in books. It is due to local knowledge that the story of the Trentham tunnel has come to light. From the initial enquiry quite a story has emerged. So to all who have been involved I would like to say a special thanks. The photograph of the tunnel by Jenna Goodwin on flickr.com was exceptional.
Alan

Offline anng3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 17 September 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
I am one of a group of ladies who have been researching the 17 names of the men who are remembered on the Trentham War memorial and are now looking at what life was like in Trentham 1911-1921. if there are any family memories of that period, I'd love to hear them.  It was clearly a time of great upheaval, with the Sutherland family having left, the estate buildings being sold, and of course the war. 

Ann

Offline Jenna Raven Goodwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 07 January 16 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all! I'm not sure how active this thread is after all this time but I've been lurking for a long time and thought I would finally register and have a chat!

I'm the one that took the photograph of the tunnel as referenced above.

This is that photo.

Lit up tunnel in Trentham by Jenna Goodwin, on Flickr

I have been searching for a very long time for the original ice house that is on Park Drive and I am so happy to announce that tonight, after many months of searching we have found it!

Also, I think we may have found the ruins or the gas house. It is in the same place as the map that was kindly drawn on for reference earlier in the thread.

I will update when I have taken the photographs from my camera.

I can honestly say we would not have found it if it wasn't for the incredibly valuable information from this thread, so I thank you all.

Offline Jenna Raven Goodwin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 07 January 16 23:58 GMT (UK) »
The photos and information about us finding the Ice House and possibly the old Gas House are here if you would like to read it...

http://bit.ly/1n6PAyz

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Jenna  :D Glad that you finally took the plunge and decided to join in.

As a keen history researcher and photographer I was fascinated to read your replies and see your photographs (really good they are too)

I have posted links to all sorts urbexers pages over the years as photographers often are able brave stupid  ;D ;Dto access all sorts of places modern life has almost forgotten but fascinate and interest us all as researchers.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 15 March 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how current this thread is, but I'm the Group Secretary for 114th Trentham Scout Group, now based in our own Scout Hut just off Churchill Avenue.

This year I'm planning a MayFair to celebrate 75 years of the Group itself, and several of us are looking into the history of the land we are currently on.

I've read with interest about the Wenger estate, and I've been told that our Scouthut is where the estate used to be. In all the threads I've read about running through a copse near Brook Road, and the entrance being near to the mausoleum, I don't yet feel I've come any closer to establishing the Wenger land boundaries. If anybody can share some light I'd be delighted to read it.

Offline anng3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Graham Bebbington has a chapter on the Wengers and the Priory in his book "Trentham Reflections".  He describes the boundaries as being "roughly bordering Stone Road, Allerton Road, New Inn Lane, Brook Road, Brinsley Avenue and Longton Road, with the exception of properties already built along the lengths of those roads."
The group I am working with, Trentham 100, has a number of maps which may be helpful to you.

Offline bailzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 14:14 GMT (UK) »
In reply to the Wenger Estate. I would guess that the estate ran from the A34 back to New Inn Lane, and from the back of the houses on Werburg Drive, up to the railway embankment and to the brook which runs  from New Inn Lane,behind the houses on Brook Road to the A34. I cannot think he would have been interested I  the woods on the other side of the brook but I don't know.  After many years of trying to find a picture of Adolph Wenger's mansion I have finally located 3 pictures of it .these are on a free site called www. britainfromabove.org.uk and type in priory mansion to view.
I noticed that someone was asking about Trentham Scouts, I went to the old scout hut which was down by the mausaliam in a very old building which was down towards the A34

Offline clokee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 16 March 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi to anng3 and bailzie.

Thank you both so much, I've copied 2 photos to print out, I'm meeting somebody tomorrow who knows Ken Buckley (now living in Maine USA) and his mother was the housekeeper at the Wenger House. I'll ask her to send the photos over and see what memories they provoke!
I've requested 2 Graham Bebbington books from the library also, so that will prove interesting reading. Thank you both.

anng3 - I think you have emailed me today? I have already met Sarah, and somebody else has been in touch with me on email, including somebody who lives on my road - it's a small, quiet cul-de-sac, so I'm excited to meet a neighbour and put a name to a face! Sadly I can't make the Ash Green event, I'm at Kibblestone with our Cubs. But I would love to meet up and have a look at the maps anyway? The history of the land is just one aspect of our anniversary event, but I'm so fascinated in how land changes and of course before photos we were reliant on people's memories!

Thank you both so much.x