Author Topic: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings  (Read 44543 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Trentham Hall Estate Buildings
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Vera & Trentham Estate Searchers

I was fascinated to read your messages about the Trentham Estate, and the chapter (James Hicks - The Last Gamekeeper) which you contributed to in the book "Trentham Refelections" by Graham Bebbington. The photographs are lovely. I have just returned from Staffordshire where my husband & I spent a couple of very useful days researching his Beech Family at the Staffordshire Archives, the Sutherland Collection is a real treasure trove - one day of searching is just not enough. I found the lodge keepers note book very helpful as it noted down arrival and departure times of all the workers and some very interesting comments! Have you any idea where the lodge keeper's house was? I too noticed the derelict buildings on the left hand side as you enter Park Drive from the main A34 (almost opposite the Mausoleum) and although some old maps show those buildings as a school I thought maybe they might have had an earlier use. The period I am talking about is from 1813 - yes nearly two hundred years ago! Logically it would have been placed at an entrance gate, and that does seem to be nearest to all the stables, laundry, blacksmiths etc.

I understand that in the early 1830's there was a real hive of activity with lots of new building works going on so original buildings could have either been demolished or up-dated. The Church was one of those buildings with the south wall being built with old stones from the original church and the Norman pillars incorporated into the new building. The porch was rebuilt using the arch from a previous building dated 1153. In the church there are memorial tiles to some of the estate workers including James Beech (blacksmith) and his wife Elizabeth. The church was re-dedicated in 1844. If you like to see the old wooden pews in the church, don't wait, there are plans to replace these in a few months time, finances permitting! The Mausoleum was built in 1807 and it is Grade 1 listed. Some of the old graves are in a dangerous condition and I believe there is to be an inspection very soon, so some might be moved on the grounds of safety. Now is the time to look before they go!

Plans are also in the pipeline to build a new hotel on the site of the old hall which was situated just outside the south door of the church. This hotel will give spectacular views of the lake and gardens, but I suspect will make the interior of the church darker than it is now.

Can I suggest that anyone who is researching members of their family tree who were workers on the Trentham Estate go and have a look now before it all changes. You can then go back again to see how some of the buildings have been restored. Buildings like the laundry,  gas works & blacksmiths have already been improved so are no longer in danger of falling down, but I think they are privately owned. Please tread carefully.

Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline barbara jones

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 April 09 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have just found this site today, while trying to find out why the property owned by the Wenger family was called the Priory, I was born and lived in Trentham until I was 23, I would be about 10 when the Priory as we called it was pulled down is there anyone who has information on this subject. I have read all the other posts re Trentham and find the whole thing fascinating. I attended Trentham Infants and Junior School from January 1953 to December1959, I have a book of early to mid 1900's photo's of Trentham including the Institute and other buildings including the Bothie

Offline bailzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 March 10 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any photos of the Priory mansion, owned by the Wengers, or of the Duchess School on the A34 opposite the Poachers Cottage, formerly the Cafe Monica.  I do have a good mental recollection of them both, but would love to see a photo of them.  I did not move to Trentham until 1959. I attended the old school until it closed,  and the old Priory acted as a playground for a while. I would be glad to chat to anyone about either the Priory or the Duchess School   Many Thanks Bailzie

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 09:03 BST (UK) »
In reply tp photographs of Trentham old school, I think you would enjoy reading Trentham reflections by Graham Bebbington published by Churnet valley books, there is a chapter and photographs of Trentham school before it was demolished.  I went to that school also attended the dolls house as we use to call it in the gardens and the school rooms under the clock tower in the courtyard. Those were the days. There is also a picture of the old Monica cafe before it ws converted in to poachers cottage. Regarding Mr Wengers House, also known as the priory,  I have also been trying to get a photo of it, but nobody seems to have one. I use to go carol singing there and they use to sit in front of us at Church. In the buildings between the Wengers Priory as it was known was the headmasters house again a picture is in this book. I hope this is of help.

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
Dear Vera & Trentham Estate Searchers

I was fascinated to read your messages about the Trentham Estate, and the chapter (James Hicks - The Last Gamekeeper) which you contributed to in the book "Trentham Refelections" by Graham Bebbington. The photographs are lovely. I have just returned from Staffordshire where my husband & I spent a couple of very useful days researching his Beech Family at the Staffordshire Archives, the Sutherland Collection is a real treasure trove - one day of searching is just not enough. I found the lodge keepers note book very helpful as it noted down arrival and departure times of all the workers and some very interesting comments! Have you any idea where the lodge keeper's house was? I too noticed the derelict buildings on the left hand side as you enter Park Drive from the main A34 (almost opposite the Mausoleum) and although some old maps show those buildings as a school I thought maybe they might have had an earlier use. The period I am talking about is from 1813 - yes nearly two hundred years ago! Logically it would have been placed at an entrance gate, and that does seem to be nearest to all the stables, laundry, blacksmiths etc.

I understand that in the early 1830's there was a real hive of activity with lots of new building works going on so original buildings could have either been demolished or up-dated. The Church was one of those buildings with the south wall being built with old stones from the original church and the Norman pillars incorporated into the new building. The porch was rebuilt using the arch from a previous building dated 1153. In the church there are memorial tiles to some of the estate workers including James Beech (blacksmith) and his wife Elizabeth. The church was re-dedicated in 1844. If you like to see the old wooden pews in the church, don't wait, there are plans to replace these in a few months time, finances permitting! The Mausoleum was built in 1807 and it is Grade 1 listed. Some of the old graves are in a dangerous condition and I believe there is to be an inspection very soon, so some might be moved on the grounds of safety. Now is the time to look before they go!

Plans are also in the pipeline to build a new hotel on the site of the old hall which was situated just outside the south door of the church. This hotel will give spectacular views of the lake and gardens, but I suspect will make the interior of the church darker than it is now.

Can I suggest that anyone who is researching members of their family tree who were workers on the Trentham Estate go and have a look now before it all changes. You can then go back again to see how some of the buildings have been restored. Buildings like the laundry,  gas works & blacksmiths have already been improved so are no longer in danger of falling down, but I think they are privately owned. Please tread carefully.

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline bailzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, Many thanks for the information, I will certainly get hold of the book, and see if i can get a print of the school and the Cafe Monica, i will also keep trying to get a photo of the Priory Mansion, and if i do i will let you have a copy,   Thanks again Bailzee
    Ps you dont have a son named Kevin by any chance.

Offline The No.19s

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 April 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live on the Development that is the old Trentham estate. I can confirm that the Gas House is the derelict building adjacent the the Bungalows on the entrance to Park Drive. It is not easy to see from the road unless you know to look for it becasue it is quite overgrown. It is located next to the 'ice house' which is more or less a cave in the steep sided hill with a iron gate sealing the entrance.
I heard that the Bungalow used to be the school house but am not sure how accurate this is. The gas house is currently owned by St. Modwens. If you require any further information please feel free to contact me direct (*).
I am interested to find out as much as I can about the old Trentham estate but there does not seem to be much information readily accessible out there.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jaholroyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 December 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Regarding searches for old Trentham buildings, do you or anyone else have any images of the small RAF Trentham station offcies located opposite the Monica cafe and Whitnmore Rd junction?.
Only the lane approach with some old blue brick walling remains, but the offices occupied the new houses in the direction of the Monica Cafe, when my dad was an officer there and where my mother Elizabeth Dale did WAAF weekend auxiluiary work before they married. I only remember the place as a toddler in the early 50's.

Offline VeraH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 December 10 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I can inform you what buildings opposite the Monica Cafe in the 1940,s. First  the mausoleum with the grave yard, behind being Mr & Mrs Wengers house(now demolished but the some of the drive way is still there with a side entrance to the cemetery . Next was a building used for the scouts but one of the teachers lived in that for a small time. Next the school and the school house facing the court yard which one entered from the road. The school had a higher yard where there were two airraid shelters which were behind the school house. Also in the court yard wasTrentham Institute, a beautful Black and white building. The was used by the services during the war, next door was another Big black and white building, This use to be where the master of the hunt use to live, it was big enough to be a hotel  then next to that was the bridge which was built for a railway which was never used and then the entrance to Trentham Park railway station. The present Queen when she was married but not queen stayed in a carriage at this station overnight. Just before the bridge on the other side is what was called Dog kennel lane now Whitmore road All the Black and White building have, and the school have been knocked down when the A34 was widened, go to http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/engine/search/default_hndlr.asp?txtKeywords=trentham&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&rbAlphabeticalRecent=1&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%
2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault%5Fhndlr%2Easp&page=20&records=267&direction=1&pointer=22372&text=0,
for a picture of the institute and page 21 from another angle. Next door to the monica cafe use to be the local shop.  I hope this is of help