Author Topic: Emmigration to Oz  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Emmigration to Oz
« on: Sunday 05 October 08 10:33 BST (UK) »
Trying to find arrival of James Stevens from Salisbury, England. Have him in Tasmania 1850 and he was a Constable on Norfolk Island prior to that date and then after at various ports of Tasmania. He came to Victoria 1879 where he died 4 years later.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Emmigration to Oz
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 08 10:37 BST (UK) »
So 1850 is the earliest date you have for him to be in Aus according to the info you have given?   correct?

charlotte

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 08 11:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=249029.msg2118709;topicseen

He was also in Norfolk Island before going to Hobart and marrying Mary Callaway there in 1850?
Was probably a convict first and was also listed as a Baker in Tasmanian records?

Another descendant of the same man, believes that if he had a sister named Georgiana then he is the  same man tried  1838 and then transported to Hobart in the Pyramus, arriving in 1839

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline DonJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 15 03:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Re James Stevens
Ive found a couple of interesting poems transcribed from the diary of James Stevens on Norfolk Island. The transcipts were supplied to the Norfolk Island Museum I assume by some descendant but they do not know who was the donor.
I would be most interested in finding the diaries if you have come across their owner.
He appears to have been a district constable in Tasmania after being Chief Constable on NI and later to Victoria

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 12:30 GMT (UK) »
That is of interest. I haven't done much of late on my GGGrandfather James Stevens. A friend has just returned from Norfolk Island. Do wish I had seen your post before she got back. I am trying to establish when and where he arrived from England. I have come forward from 1850 with him marrying in Hobart. May I ask if you are a relative or what makes you interested in him? Regards x

Offline DonJB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 November 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
James was constable on NI in 1846 and became Chief Constable there on the Drowning of the incumbent in 1848. His removal Tasmania and appointment  to District Constable in Norfolk Bay (Tas.)was probably between 1851 and 1854. I think he later became Chief District Constable before being retired and going to Victoria.

My interest is in locating the Diaries from which the Transcripts at the NI Museum were taken, to validate the provenance of the convict written poems enclosed.