Author Topic: Tranent Cemetery  (Read 66199 times)

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tranent Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 October 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
I have slotted the Pearson Dow Family that are listed in the MI Tranent Church Burials into my Dow Family Tree. Thank you for the entries... Could you please check on the Surname DOUGLAS. In  a previous email the name Hugh Douglas did come up.  May I have the burial details on Hugh or any other with the surname DOUGLAS..Kind Regards
Dingaling Oz
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 October 08 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Dingaling
1 Douglas in Tranent
Ed 1894 by Hugh Douglas in memory of his father, mother two sisters. The elder sister is interred in Holywood, Dumfrieshire and other dear relatives interred in this parish. Above Hugh Douglas born 15.12.1831.
Sorry no names mentioned for father, mother etc, guess you've got your work cut out there.

Fiona

Offline Dingaling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 16 October 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Fiona for the information on Hugh Douglas b 1831 all is very much appreciated.
Regards
Dingaling
Oz
Allan, Dow,Boggie,Douglas,Hillock...Scotland
Potts,Tattersall,Wells,Turner, Brown,Saxby,Knighton,Brangwin,Thompson,Shipton,Hockey.....England and Australia
Coleman, Richards, Hughes, Lloyd, Chambers. Wales and England.
 Evans, Thomas, Humphreys, Williams, Jones, LLoyd. Wales
Parsey, Price, Taylor, Protheroe, Jenkins. Kerford.
....Wales and England.

Offline patonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Fiona, If you are still able and willing to look for MIs in Tranent and other western parishes of East Lothian, I would be very grateful to know if there are any Herriot, Whitecross or Watt entries. My G.G.G. grandfather John Herriot was a servant at Taylors Mains (which seems to be at the location shown as Seton West Mains on modern maps) in Tranent. Later he was a grocer in Prestonpans. The Whitecross and Watt families lived in Tranent and other nearby parishes, although earlier Whitecross ancestors apparently came from further east (Haddington, North Berwick, etc.). Many thanks,   Bob

quote author=caraid link=topic=332438.msg2116006#msg2116006 date=1222973025]
Hi
I have the East Lothian Monumental Inscriptions, Westermost parishes (Tranent, Seton, Prestonpans, Prestonpans West & Ormiston Old Churchyard) The Inscriptions for Tranent Parish Churchyard were listed in June 2005.
There are no Dodds or Skeldons listed but quiet a few Johnstones. If you could give me a few more details I'll look.
East Lothian Monumental Inscriptions, Hillfoot Vilages (Garvald, Innerwick, Moreham, Oldhamstocks, Spott, Stenton, Whittinghame & yester) does have some Skeldons & Dod(d)s. Again if you have more specific names I will Look.

Fiona

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob
Heriot stones in Tranent
Robert Wilson, publican 22.11.1867 54yr & wife Jane Heriot 27.10.1884 72yr(if yours there is  children too)
also a stone with a Mary Ferme and husband Wm Heriot
also David Heriot 13.7.1903 60yrs, by widow

Watt stones in Tranent
David Watt & wife May Liddle
David Watt & wife Marg Patterson (these stones are together)
Rev. Robert Watt UP church minister
Andrew Watt & wife Catherine Ferguson

Prestonpans Churchyard
Mary Whitecross & husband Adam Prentice
Peter Whitecross & wife Cath Anderson (these 2 stones together)
James Cunningham & wife Marg Whitecross

If you need any of these fully transcribed give me a shout. going for an ankle op tmorrow and will be off work for about 6-8 weeks so will have plenty of time to sit in front of computer reading books etc

Fiona

Offline patonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 February 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, Fiona, for your speedy response. Unfortunately I do not know of any link between my own forebears and any of these Herriots, Whitecross's  and Watts. Good luck with your ankle operation. Thanks again!

Bob

Offline Serene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
I am researching the George Forman family mentioned by Caraid in reply #17 as having a Monument at Tranent.  We are direct descendants and still bear the name. I was thrilled to have this information as it is another confirmation of the names of the parents for me. Is it possible to get a full transcription? Thanks S.

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Serene
Transcription for George Forman
198 Large triptych stone.
Geo FORMAN d Levenhall 8.3.1843 41yrs...much respected...by w Marion BOWMAN d Levenhall 29.9.1888 83yrs, da Cath 12.5.1844 2yrs, s Jas drowned at sea when homeward bound from Australia 25.4.1860 25yrs.
 (left side) Geo FORMAN 22.11.1823 51yrs, w Ann CARR 18.4.1827 49yrs
(right side) Geo FORMAN, da Ann d Levenhall 2.1.1897 62yrs, s Geo d Melbourne, Australia 1904 78yrs, s Peter d Levenhall 1.4.1905 77yrs, da Bethia d Levenhall 1.10.1907 68yrs.

Hope this helps some

Fiona

Offline Serene

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Fiona,
this is indeed our ancestors.  Our George is the one who died in 1904  Melbourne.  His brother James must have visited them or traveled with them so now I will check the passenger lists again.  They arrived in Melbourne January 1st 1855, with a 3 day old baby who was the next generations George!!
There is such  a lot of detail about the family here and as I had census details about their whereabouts and livelihoods this adds to the picture I had of the family.
I have a photo of the Marion Bowman mentioned.  She is the Mrs Forman of the current Mrs Forman's Inn at Inveresk.
I had no idea where they might have been buried and as we are in Australia hadn't thought it would be likely I would ever find out. 
What a super site this is. If I can be of any help to anyone researching I am happy to try.  You are Marvellous . S