Author Topic: How to date fashions with Doris  (Read 1110 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
How to date fashions with Doris
« on: Tuesday 07 October 08 07:53 BST (UK) »
For those that are interested in dating photographs by fashion trends have a look at the BBC Archive section on the BBC site. They are currently running a program that was first shown in  1957 with regards to fashion through the ages which was presented by Doris Langley Moore. Well worth a visit just to hear Doris speak of "Hats on Heds".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/whatwewore/5607.shtml?all=1&id=5607

if the link does not work ( as is the norm with the links that I try to post) go to the BBC site and put in BBC Archives in the search box which should bring the page up that you are looking for.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: How to date fashions with Doris
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 09:57 BST (UK) »
Oh, that looks so fabulous OR!   :D :D :D

Thank you for posting the link...unfortunately (like most of the content on BBC iplayer etc.) it seems not to be available to anyone not in the UK  :'( :'( :'(

I'm sure plenty of the others on here will be able to watch it and I bet it's great!

Prue  :)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 10:35 BST (UK) »
Its a shame that you can not view it Prue as it is the sort of thing that I think you would be interested in. Doris, it turns out, was the costume designer for Hepburn in the Africa Queen (1951) and also costume designer on the film Freud (1962). She also produced some books, two of which are at the National Library of Australia, these being The Woman in Fashion  (1949) and The Child in Fashion (1953).

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this link!

I have watched it with huge interest and my daughter (aged 14, and doing Textiles at GCSE) was also fascinated.

We all said how nice it was to have information simply provided, with lovely shots of actual people in real clothing in appropriate settings.................rather than a lot of computer generated guff complicating matters.

Doris is wonderful!

Are they repeating all of the programmes?  I must go and have another look

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 October 08 10:43 BST (UK) »
Ooh, I see they have a whole series.  How fantastic.  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 October 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
How very interesting.     I think only HM etc speak like that now.   
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:24 BST (UK) »
Silvery- wotmakesya fink that I don't speak like that then?  We speak like that all the time dahn ere in the sarf  ;D ;D

Igor-Glad that you and your daughter liked it and more importantly that it was helpful to your daughter and her studies.

OR