Author Topic: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area  (Read 13570 times)

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
Phil:

I can not take the Graham line any further back than c 1730.

But Jeffrey Grahan born c 1730 at Carperby married Alice Crookey May 3rd 1757 at Aysgarth.
She was bap  at West Burton June 26th 1737 and died April 12th 1810, also at West Burton.

She was dau of Thomas Crookey bap Nov 18th 1698 at West Burton and Ann Dunn of Bearpark who were married at Aysgarth Nov 3rd 1721.

This Thomas was son of James Crookey of West Burton and Elizabeth Sympson who married at Aysgarth Feb 1st 1697.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline philipd

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks fo trying.

I plan to visit Askrigg over coming weeks.   I doubt I wil be able to access and parish records on my visit though.

For my information only.  What sort of information is recorded on wedding records from 1730s.  I guess unlike today the fathers name is not listed.

Phil
Phil:

I can not take the Graham line any further back than c 1730.

But Jeffrey Grahan born c 1730 at Carperby married Alice Crookey May 3rd 1757 at Aysgarth.
She was bap  at West Burton June 26th 1737 and died April 12th 1810, also at West Burton.

She was dau of Thomas Crookey bap Nov 18th 1698 at West Burton and Ann Dunn of Bearpark who were married at Aysgarth Nov 3rd 1721.

This Thomas was son of James Crookey of West Burton and Elizabeth Sympson who married at Aysgarth Feb 1st 1697.

Offline philipd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 14:48 BST (UK) »
Phil,

As you are aware I have already been in contcat with you via your Ancestry tree.  I no longer subscribe to GenesReunited.

Last night I also looked at www.familysearch.org for Jeffrey Graham and found a Christening 1st Jan 1776, Aysgarth, Yorks.  Father Jeffrey Graham.  Whereas on the same website they have a Jeffrey Graham born 16/12/1798 and John Grham b abt 1760 and Jane Metcalfe b abt 1762 as the parents.

PS Can you snd me the URL of your ancestry website.  Just search for it at work and unable to locate.

Phil

Offline philipd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Maggie has today sent me the following:

Sorry but there is no birth for Jeffrey Graham on either Askrigg/Aysgarth PRs. There is however, a birth for Alice on the Aysgarth PRs which makes me think that as was the tradition a marriage took place in the Bride's parish. So Jeffrey may have been born elsewhere. There is a birth for a Jeffrey on Family Search in1733 Dent Yorkshire son of John Graham. The records for Askrigg and many other parishes are kept in the Northallerton Records Office Yorkshire.

You may have the following records but I will send them anyway>
Jeffrey Graham  married Alice Crookey 3 May 1757 At Andrew Parish Church Aysgarth Banns, Witnesses: Christopher Sympson, John Thompson and Christopher Sympson Junior. Vicar: John Dupont.

Found these burials:
Alice Graham w/o Jeffrey burial 12 April 1810 Aysgarth

Jeffrey s/o Jeffrey and Alice burial 27 March 1776
Ralph s/o Jeffrey and Alice burial 11 July 1770
Alice d/o Jeffrey and Alice burial 4 June 1802
Jeffrey ?senior burial 20 May 1806.

Phil

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 September 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have just been away on an overseas trip so haven't been following up on the recent messages. If you're reading this philipd and daniel1111 I'm just curious to find out where you both fit into my family tree?

There seem to be a LOT of people that are descended from that Jeffrey Graham of Carperby (including at least four people on the Genes Reunited website, which I'm not subscribed to just now so can't follow up).

Regards,
Steve Lord
Auckland New Zealand

Offline philipd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:47 BST (UK) »
Steve,

I also no longer subscribe to genesrenited.  I will send you information of what I have soon.  I shoudl point out that the information I have is from groups like this one, ancestry and familysearch.org.  Familysearch has thrown up a few Grahams from Askrigg and Dent. 

Phil

Offline philipd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 February 10 21:50 GMT (UK) »
So THE Graham family.

My Gt Gt grandmother was Mary Ann Graham b. 1851

Know of any connections?

Phil

Moderator Comment:  Email address removed.  Please use our personal message system

Hi grungefrog (interesting name!)

My wife's g.g.g.g.grandfather was William Graham, born Askrigg, 1801.  He was James Crookey Graham's elder brother.

From there I have Grahams (or their descendants) to the present day, and back to Jeffrey Graham, (c. 1730 @ Carperby, N. Yorkshire), and also to one Alice Crookey, which is where James gets his middle name from.

I also have details of Richard's children, (including your g. grandfather Walter)
as Mary (b.1873), Walter (b. 1874), Milton (b.1880) and Lily (b. 1882).

I would love details of your family bible if you don't mind, and would be more than happy to provide any further details you need, but it might be easier if you contact me direct via my personal email, which I'll get to you shortly.

It's strange, but I seem to spend more time corresponding with people in New Zealand than I do in with people in the UK!  I have a gentleman called Basil Kearton who has been extremely useful in establishing another branch of my wife's family (the Keartons).

Regards

Superwhite

Offline Denise Precious

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 January 15 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Denise, I am also search the "Graham" family. My Great grandfather was Revd Jeffrey Graham born 1733-1805 & Great Grandmother Alice Crookley 1736-1810. I am at a stand still and would appreciate any help thanks.

John Graham 1760-1834 & Jane Metcalfe 1764-1825

John Graham 1792-1871 & Elizabeth Thwaite 1791-1870

William Graham 1819-1891 & Margaret/Alice Graham 1821

William T Graham 1864 & Margaret Ann Graham 1862-1951

Alice Graham 1889 (Nana) & John Alfred Webb

Irene Graham Webb (Gran) 1913-1988

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 January 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Denise:

I can not take you back any further than Jeffrey Graham born c 1730 at Carperby
You say he was a Rev ?

Neither can I help with any hangings or Royal links.

But I do have a file on the Graham family which I am happy to share with you,

If you want to see it, then please email me at:

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice.  Please the personla message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks  :)

I can then send you an email with attachments.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.