Author Topic: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area  (Read 13543 times)

Offline superwhite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Re Graham family - Askrigg (Swaledale) area
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have a James Graham, b.c. 1808 in Askrigg.  He went on to marry to Ann ?, have a large family, (11 children) most of whom were born in Askrigg, and then went on to live at Padiham, Nr. Burnley (source 1861 / 71 censuses).

I need to know who James parents and/or siblings were, to see if I can find out where he fits in my existing tree.  Can anyone help?

Regards
Superwhite

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Is this your James Graham?

Descendants of John Graham

Generation No. 1

1.  JOHN2 GRAHAM  (JEFFREY1) was born about 1756 in Askrigg, and died 09 Jun 1834 in Askrigg aged 78 see Askrigg MI 183.  He married JANE METCALFE 08 Aug 1785 in Askrigg see  Askrigg PR.  She was born about 1759 in Askrigg, and died 29 May 1825 in Askrigg aged 66 see Askrigg MI 183.

More About JOHN GRAHAM:
Askrigg mi: Shoemaker

More About JOHN GRAHAM and JANE METCALFE:
Marriage: 08 Aug 1785, Askrigg see  Askrigg PR

Children of JOHN GRAHAM and JANE METCALFE are:
2.   i.   ALICE3 GRAHAM, b. 12 Mar 1786, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR; d. Mar 1850, Bradford.
   ii.   BELLAH GRAHAM, b. 25 Jul 1789, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR.
3.   iii.   JOHN GRAHAM, b. about 1791, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR; d. 12 Apr 1871, Askrigg aged 79 see Askrigg PR.
   iv.   SALLY GRAHAM, b. 03 Oct 1793, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR.
   v.   ELIZABETH GRAYHAM, b. 07 Aug 1796, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR.
4.   vi.   JEFFREY GRAHAM, b. 16 Dec 1798, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR.
5.   vii.   WILLIAM GRAHAM, b. 19 Jul 1801, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR; d. 13 Jul 1872, Askrigg aged 71 see Askrigg PR.
6.   viii.   THOMAS GRAHAM, b. 01 Sep 1805, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR.
   ix.   JAMES GRAHAM, b. 28 Jun 1807, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR; d. 01 Jul 1807, Askrigg.
7.   x.   JAMES CROOKEY GRAHAM, b. 25 Dec 1808, Askrigg  see Askrigg PR; d. Jun 1877, Burnley aged 68 see free BMD Records.

Generation No. 2

7.  JAMES CROOKEY3 GRAHAM (JOHN2, JEFFREY1) was born 25 Dec 1808 in Askrigg  see Askrigg PR, and died Jun 1877 in Burnley aged 68 see free BMD Records.  He married ANN LEE 30 Sep 1834 in Askrigg see  Askrigg PR, daughter of CHRISTOPHER LEE and BETTY WETHERALD.  She was born 26 Jul 1812 in Askrigg see Askrigg PR, and died Mar 1877 in Burnley aged 64 see free BMD Records.

More About JAMES GRAHAM and ANN LEE:
Marriage: 30 Sep 1834, Askrigg see  Askrigg PR

Children of JAMES GRAHAM and ANN LEE are:
   i.   ELIZABETH4 GRAHAM, b. about 1841, Askrigg.
   ii.   CHRISTOPHER GRAHAM, b. about 1839, Askrigg.
   iii.   JOHN GRAHAM, b. about 1837, Askrigg.
   iv.   JEFFREY GRAHAM, b. about 1844, Askrigg.
   v.   PETER GRAHAM, b. about 1846, Askrigg.
   vi.   JANE GRAHAM, b. about 1849, Askrigg.
   vii.   RICHARD GRAHAM, b. about 1849, Askrigg.
   viii.   ALICE GRAHAM, b. about 1851, Askrigg.
   ix.   SARAH GRAHAM, b. about 1854, Askrigg.
   x.   ANN GRAHAM, b. about 1856, Padiham Lancs.
   xi.   JAMES C GRAHAM, b. about 1858, Padiham Lancs.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline superwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daniel

Yes, this seems to be the family I've been looking for - I had John Crookey Graham, b. 1808 in my tree and suspected this must be his family, but couldn't verify it with any certainty.

Many thanks for your help with this problem-it is very much apprciated.  I have a tree on GR containing many Keartons and associated families, esp. Grahams.  If I can help anyone out please come back to me

Thanks again Daniel

Superwhite

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 November 08 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi superwhite & daniel1111

I came across your posts on here and think we may be connected. Mt Gr Gr Gr Grandfather was James Crookey Graham born in Askrigg in 1808. My Gr Gr Grandfather was his son Richard Graham (born 17th November 1848). James moved his large family from Askrigg to Padiham where many of them seemed to have got jobs in the cotton industry. Gr Gr Grandfather Richard did really well in Padiham and became a mill owner - but later went bankrupt after some business deal went bad. My Gr Grandfather Walter Graham was born in Padiham in 1874, he worked as a cotton mill overlooker. His youngest daughter was Dorothy Graham (1914-1993), who married Edgar Lord. Their only son was Donald Lord (emigrated to New Zealand 1963) and his eldest son was me: Stephen Lord (born 1965).

Full details of all the Grahams going back to Richard Graham are in an old family bible - can give you details if you really want. I was never able to trace further back than James Crookey Graham, but now looks like I can :) Any further information that either of you have I'd love to see it :)

There was an old story the family that our Grahams were distantly related to the Grahams of Netherby Hall, but don't know how true this is. According to the story our Grahams challenged the Netherby Grahams in court for ownership of the Hall - this seems a bit far-fetched to me, but who knows...

Regards,
Stephen
Auckland, New Zealand

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 November 08 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Rootschat!   :)

I'm sure when Superwhite and Daniel come back online they'll be very pleased to share information with you.

Kind regards,
Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline superwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 November 08 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi grungefrog (interesting name!)

My wife's g.g.g.g.grandfather was William Graham, born Askrigg, 1801.  He was James Crookey Graham's elder brother.

From there I have Grahams (or their descendants) to the present day, and back to Jeffrey Graham, (c. 1730 @ Carperby, N. Yorkshire), and also to one Alice Crookey, which is where James gets his middle name from.

I also have details of Richard's children, (including your g. grandfather Walter)
as Mary (b.1873), Walter (b. 1874), Milton (b.1880) and Lily (b. 1882).

I would love details of your family bible if you don't mind, and would be more than happy to provide any further details you need, but it might be easier if you contact me direct via my personal email, which I'll get to you shortly.

It's strange, but I seem to spend more time corresponding with people in New Zealand than I do in with people in the UK!  I have a gentleman called Basil Kearton who has been extremely useful in establishing another branch of my wife's family (the Keartons).

Regards

Superwhite

Offline philipd

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 September 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you or anyone else managed to go back any further than Jeffrey Graham b abt 1730.  Jeffrey is my great great great great great great grandfather.

Phil

Hi superwhite & daniel1111

I came across your posts on here and think we may be connected. Mt Gr Gr Gr Grandfather was James Crookey Graham born in Askrigg in 1808. My Gr Gr Grandfather was his son Richard Graham (born 17th November 1848). James moved his large family from Askrigg to Padiham where many of them seemed to have got jobs in the cotton industry. Gr Gr Grandfather Richard did really well in Padiham and became a mill owner - but later went bankrupt after some business deal went bad. My Gr Grandfather Walter Graham was born in Padiham in 1874, he worked as a cotton mill overlooker. His youngest daughter was Dorothy Graham (1914-1993), who married Edgar Lord. Their only son was Donald Lord (emigrated to New Zealand 1963) and his eldest son was me: Stephen Lord (born 1965).

Full details of all the Grahams going back to Richard Graham are in an old family bible - can give you details if you really want. I was never able to trace further back than James Crookey Graham, but now looks like I can :) Any further information that either of you have I'd love to see it :)

There was an old story the family that our Grahams were distantly related to the Grahams of Netherby Hall, but don't know how true this is. According to the story our Grahams challenged the Netherby Grahams in court for ownership of the Hall - this seems a bit far-fetched to me, but who knows...

Regards,
Stephen
Auckland, New Zealand

Offline grungefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Philipd

It looks like four of us on this thread are all related to this Jeffrey Graham. I have talked to superwhite about his connections but not to daniel1111 so don't know how he fits in. My line goes: Jeffrey Graham of Carperby, John Graham b1756, James Crookey Graham b1808 (who moved to the Burnley area), Richard Graham b1848 my gr gr grandfather, and 4 more generations to me. Can send you the full details if you like.

I think superwhite has quite a lot of information on the Grahams of the Askrigg area. Sounds like it might be relevant to both of us. Perhaps I can ask him to get in touch with you directly.

Offline superwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I have previously had correspondence with several people on this site, but four of us appear to share one common ancestor:

Jeffrey Graham of Carperby, North Yorkshire.
This gentle was my wifes g.g.g.g.g. grandfather (not g.g.g.g. grandfather as I stated previously!)

The other three correspondents are:
1) Grungefrog (Stephen Lord of New Zealand)
2) daniel1111
3) Philip D.

I currently have trees on Genes Reunited and on Ancestry.  If any or all of you would like to contact me directly, my email address is:

Moderator Comment:  Email address removed in accordance with rootschat policy

Regards

Phil Haley (Superwhite)