Author Topic: Anyone recognise these people?  (Read 8508 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Anyone recognise these people?
« on: Tuesday 07 October 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
The man on the right hand side is my great grandfather, Clarence Howe. I believe the photo is taken on the Links at Nairn and think it is possible that one of the others could be one of his Shaw brothers in law. Clarence died in Aberdeen in 1932 so I imagine this was taken some time in the post WW1 - mid twenties. Any clues?
He and his friends were apparently known locally as The Nairn Parliament
Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Nairnite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise these people?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am from Nairn and having looked at the photograph, I can confidently say that it was not taken in Nairn.
I do not, at present recognise any of the men but if you are able to give me additional details about the Shaws and any other Nairn people, I may be able to investigate for you.
Regards.
Alexander Barron

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Well that has really thrown me because my late father told me it was taken in Nairn and I was fairly sure it came from an article in one of the local newspapers. When my mother and father visited Nairn, many years ago, one of the newspaper employees, possibly even the editor, remembered Clarence Howe and his friends - I think his own father had been one of the lifeboat crew with them. Having visited the town a couple of times myself, I assumed the photograph was taken in a place which has since been re-developed, as has the Wellington Square area.

Clarence Howe was born in the south of England but in 1887 he married Catherine Shaw who was born in Nairn in 1870. Her parents, James Shaw and Margaret Smith lived at No.6 Wellington Square, Nairn and although Clarence and Catherine lived for some time in Aberdeen, Catherine died in Nairn and they are both buried in the churchyard there.

The Shaws were originally ( or as far back as I have gone so far) from Burghead and Duffus, so not Nairn folk by origin.

But if you are able, I do have another major Nairn based stumbling block and would welcome any help. It involves Smiths! How do you feel about embarking on that little dilemma?

Jen :)

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline 03jmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 13 14:27 GMT (UK) »
I am from Nairn and having looked at the photograph, I can confidently say that it was not taken in Nairn.

I live in nairn too and im enclined to agree with the above comment, doesnt look like anywhere in nairn i know - and the houses are not the nairnshire style/look so im gonna have to say its not nairn aswell... the area around the bowling green hasnt been touched since the orignal houses were built to my knowledge

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 13 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I can see that I shall have to look further afield for this one. I don't suppose you can suggest anywhere else that it could be? Would a Nairn based bowling club have travelled to a nearby town for away matches?

Jen. :)

Offline 03jmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I can see that I shall have to look further afield for this one. I don't suppose you can suggest anywhere else that it could be? Would a Nairn based bowling club have travelled to a nearby town for away matches?

Jen. :)

anything is possible i suppose jen - let me know if i can help and ill do my best - im an unemployed 21 year old living in nairn - so plenty time to take photos ect for you

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Kind thought and suggestion, 03jmain  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 February 13 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Kind thought and suggestion, 03jmain  :)

Monica

Indeed it is and I am very grateful for it. But you could come to regret having made the offer! ;) ;D