Author Topic: Birmingham, Warwecikshire, Eng. Clarkes  (Read 5735 times)

Offline donjclarke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham, Warwecikshire, Eng. Clarkes
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 October 08 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Lenwyn
I'm pretty sure that George Frederick was born on 14 May 1886 in Birmingham. I'm also pretty sure that his mother's name was Mary Ann Clarke. I have a birth certificate that my mom procured nearly 50 years ago from Birmingham which gives that information. There was no father listed on the certificate, so I always have thought that he was probably born out of wedlock, and that Clarke was her mother's maiden name. But On George's and Olga's marriage certificate, he lists his father as Albert Edward Clarke, and mother as Mary Jeans. I have a suspiciion that his mother died very early on and that he may have been raised by relatives, a brother, or grandfather, or who know. Sure is tough sorting all of these things out, isn't it? Thanks again for your help,
Don

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 October 08 05:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Don, 

It's too bad the death registration didn't pan out.  Sometimes one or two facts are wrong on the registration form but not all of them!  There is still hope with the Victoria police story.  I am going to be checking the Victoria and Vancouver City Directories for some of my family and as luck would have it, my family name is Clark!  So I'll check to see if George Frederick shows up as I go through the years.  If nothing else, it might narrow down his movements.

I'll let you know if I find anything and in the meantime, good luck with your other avenues of research!

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline donjclarke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 09 November 08 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Well. I finally found the reference to the Chief of Police in Victoria, British Columbia for George Frederick Clarke. The quote is "The Chief of Police, J.M. Langley, of Victoria, B.C., wrote on September 4, 1918, that he had interviewed my husband and that he was going south and would arrange matters for the family. He has never been heard from since that time."  That statement was made by his wife, Olga, in October 1926. So Lynwyn, if you're out there, at least we now have a name, place, and date. Sure hope you can find something. I also received his military record of service in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Forces in WW l this last week. His Attestation Paper is dated 9-10 Oct 1917. Five months later, in March, 1918, he was diagnosed with a "disordered action heart" and sent to Irving House, which I think may have been a hospital or clinic.  He was finally discharged as medically unfit  on 27 June 1918, so he spent less than a year in the service. Any suggestions on how to get more information about him?