Author Topic: PAGE family arrived South Australia from 1850  (Read 6958 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
PAGE family arrived South Australia from 1850
« on: Wednesday 08 October 08 09:24 BST (UK) »
I’m hoping that someone may have come across one or more of these members of the PAGE family of London, England and may be able to throw some light on their life in Australia. At least three of these men were brothers:

James Page – arrived 1850 on board the ‘Jane’(?)  Born 1825 I have been told that a directory gives his birth 18 Oct 1825 in London. He died 30 Sep 1913 age 88 in Mitcham, South Australia. He married Susan Elizabeth Allen 18 Feb 1851 in Adelaide. Although the SA marriage records usually provides the bride and groom’s fathers’ names, annoyingly that is not the case with James Page’s wedding. The couple had 9 children: Alice 1852, Helen Hogg (?) 1854, Clara 1855, Horace James 1857, Ernest Henry 1859, Laura 1860, Harriett 1862, Hilda Maude 1864, Halder Alfred 1868. James Page was a merchant, agent and for a time consul or vice consul for France and Switzerland: quite a prominent citizen, it seems.

William Page – arrived 1850 on board the ‘Jane’(?) 

Horace Page – arrival date unknown, though possibly also on the ‘Jane’ 1850. Horace had the curious middle name Haverhill, which he may not have used in Australia. Worked for a time as a clerk at McClaren Wharf, Port Adelaide (he was there in 1859). Born 1828 (parents = Henry and Jane)

William Henry Page - arrived on the ‘Marion Moor’ in February 1853. No further details known. Born 1831 (parents = Henry and Jane)

Thomas Page – arrived Pt Adelaide 15 Sep 1850 on the ‘Jane Morrison’ from London. On 21 June 1861 James Page placed a personal ad in the South Australian Advertiser appealing for information regarding Thomas Page’s address. I suppose it’s possibly he might have moved on to another part of Australia. Born circa 1826 (parents = Henry and Jane)

If you have any information or suggestions regarding these PAGE men, or in fact any Page in South Australia in the mid-19th century I would be mightily grateful for any leads
Ian

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
Re: PAGE family arrived South Australia from 1850
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Just working on William there is a marriage on 23/1/1854 at Trinity Church Adelaide  -the same church where James and Susan married previously in 1851.
William married a  Mary Walker and once again parents not recorded.

Will keep on looking

Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Troods. It's a shame no father's name is mentioned in the marriage record, as one of the reasons for this enquiry is to try to determine how these various Page men were related. I suspect that the William Page whose marriage you have found was not the son of my ancestor Henry Page - more likely a nephew. The William Henry Page I mention in my original post was definitely my ancestor's son ... and even with this strange family it's unlikely there were two sons called William. Oddly, though, Henry had one son Henry William Page, and another called William Henry: an early example of recycling? It tells me, however, that William was an important family name.
By the way, isn't Dorcas a lovely name?
Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated
Ian in Cornwall, England

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 10:34 BST (UK) »
Found another marriage of a William Page to a Mary Ann Knowling in 1852 here

http://www.familyhistorysa.info/births-marriages-deaths/marriages.html

Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 October 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
Found in Register of Personal Notices:-
29 August 1859
On the 26th of August, at her residence, Halifax Street, after a lingering illness of 12 months, Mary Ann the affectionate wife of William Page, aged 32.

28 March 1870
PAGE - On the 24th March, at Mitcham, of fever, Ernest Henry Page, aged 10 years and a half.

Sashar
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 October 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this piece of information, Sashar. The second item fits into the pattern I am slowly forming of the Page family. This child was the son of James Page, brother of my ancestor. As to the first, referring to William Page - it's one to put in my data file: it's entirely possible that the William Page mentioned is another of the brothers who arrived in SA within a few years of each other.
Much appreciated!
Ian

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 October 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

This appears in the Manning Index (Mitcham) at SA State Library

Obituary of James Page on 2 and 3 Oct 1913, Adelaide Register, pages 8a and 8f of the

You can request a copy online through the Ask a Librarian service
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/manning/

Cazay
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 October 08 07:06 BST (UK) »
I’m hoping that someone may have come across one or more of these members of the PAGE family of London, England and may be able to throw some light on their life in Australia. At least three of these men were brothers:

James Page – arrived 1850 on board the ‘Jane’(?)  Born 1825 I have been told that a directory gives his birth 18 Oct 1825 in London. He died 30 Sep 1913 age 88 in Mitcham, South Australia. He married Susan Elizabeth Allen 18 Feb 1851 in Adelaide. Although the SA marriage records usually provides the bride and groom’s fathers’ names, annoyingly that is not the case with James Page’s wedding. The couple had 9 children: Alice 1852, Helen HOGGS 1854, Clara 1855, Horace James 1857, Ernest Henry 1859, Laura 1860, Harriett 1862, Hilda Maude 1864, Halder Alfred 1868. James Page was a merchant, agent and for a time consul or vice consul for France and Switzerland: quite a prominent citizen, it seems.

These may be of interest if the above is your ancestor -

http://www.rootschat.com/links/04hl/
http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=6540

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 October 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those, Cando. Rust Hall, Pages Road, Mitcham looks a very des res indeed! And I was able to download an image for my Pages in Australia file.

Cazay - thanks also for the link to the Manning Index. It's really helped me find my way around available SA genealogical sources.
Ian