Author Topic: Captain French - Kendal  (Read 38894 times)

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain French - Kendal
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 December 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello trawdenboy,

I hope we can help each other too!  It's great to hear from someone else researching this Wilcock line.

There were two William Wilcock families living at Captain French Lane in the early 1850's - mine was the one who married Agnes Read in 1851 and the family subsequently moved to Bentham in Yorkshire.  There was another family, a William Wilcock who married an Isabella Marshall in 1852, and also lived at Captain French - I'm afraid this line sent me in the wrong direction for quite a while....

I haven't been able to get back a very long way, as William's birth/baptism still eludes me!

Hope to hear from you again,
Best wishes,
Yorkslass

Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

Offline trawdenboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Yorkslass,
my relation is the one married to Agnes Read, I believe. My great grandfather moved from Bentham to Colne, Lancs when the Leeds Liverpool canal was being dug out. They were carters. I haven't looked at my fam history stuff for a while, but will do in the next few days and will be in touch again. Benthan parish registers record  Wilcock's back into the 1600s ! My son's partner is expecting a baby next May so the Wilcock line continues. Sorry for hasty reply, busy just now, will be in touch again.
Regards
Trawdenboy

Offline paulr_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all - it has been some time since the last post on this thread, but I just came across it.

I also have an interest in Captain French Lane. My family were the Pickthalls and my interest starts in 1871. My g.g. grandfather, Robert William Pickthall was born at no.7, Yard 14, Captain French Lane. Is this name known to anyone?
Appleby (Co. Durham), Bainbridge (Northumberland & Co. Durham), Batey (Houghton-le-Spring), Brotherton (South Shields), Butchart (Angus/Forfar & Sunderland), Fairless (South Shields), Graham (South Shields), Kirtley (Sunderland & area), Kitching (Westmorland), Mallinson (Westmorland), Pattison (Sunderland), Pickthall (Westmorland & Co. Durham), White (Co. Durham), Parker (Co. Durham), Robson (Sunderland & area), Walls (Co. Durham)

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 September 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
My family the MITCHELLS lived in Capt. French over a long period of time, as did alot of other families.My grandad`s middle name was Lund as was at least two of his uncles.Their surnames were Harrison and Nelson. All names of families living there around 1881-1891.
I was hoping someone might know if a family called LUND also live there or near by, probably earlier.
Hoping someone can help,
Caron.
Dennison. Kendal,Whitwell and Selside.
Stobbart. Kendal. Elterwater. Northumberland.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline paulr_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 September 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Caron - I don't know the Mitchell family I'm afraid but it's always good to "meet" someone with an interest in the same area/street. I do however have connections to the name Lund, though whether it is the same branch as you, I don't know.

My g.g. grandfather, Robert William Pickthall (born 1872, Captain French Lane) married (1897) Elizabeth Kitching. Elizabeth's mother (father unknown) was Mary Kitching (b. Helsington, 1827). Mary's mother was Elizabeth LUND (1805 - 1867), who married (1825) John Kitchen/Kitching (1805-1870). Please supply more information on your LUNDS and I will try and make the connection  :)
Appleby (Co. Durham), Bainbridge (Northumberland & Co. Durham), Batey (Houghton-le-Spring), Brotherton (South Shields), Butchart (Angus/Forfar & Sunderland), Fairless (South Shields), Graham (South Shields), Kirtley (Sunderland & area), Kitching (Westmorland), Mallinson (Westmorland), Pattison (Sunderland), Pickthall (Westmorland & Co. Durham), White (Co. Durham), Parker (Co. Durham), Robson (Sunderland & area), Walls (Co. Durham)

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.I think that the middle name LUND, given to my grandpop, originally came from a friend and neighbour about 50 years before !!!.
Looking through the census` for that district i found a Thomas Lund, born 1801 at Barnard Castle,Yorkshire.(His mother was a Jane Parkin born 1815 also of Barnard Castle).
Thomas Lund and his family were neighbours for at least 20 years of the Whiteley family on Captain French Lane.
Margaret Whiteley born 1851, was my gt, gt grandma.She married Wm . Mitchell.
Her sister was Mary Jane Whiteley. Both sisters gave the middle name Lund to a son, this tradition seems to have been pased down.
Regards Caron.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 September 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Well, this is all new to me! ...I too have links to Capt. French/Entry Lane/Low Fellside...

With name such as....
Thomas Pickthall Wilson, Lund, Whiteley, Harrison, Nelson, Heap, Macnamara, Armer, Carling, Robinson...

Any 'hits' with anyone here?

Roger
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 September 11 17:47 BST (UK) »
We must all be related !!!
All these families must have been so close.   
Even naming their children after each other.
Do you have any info. on the Whiteleys ?
Around 1932 my mum was  living at  39,Low Fellside , as you probably know Entry Lane leads onto Low Fellside.
Regards Caron.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline Palladium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
This should cause a stir!...... I take no credit for much of this detail. Most was supplied to me by a cousin, to whom I am extremely grateful.... The 'hairdresser' detail at the end came from pictures in books I obtained from Kendal and elsewhere.

Richard Nelson (b.1819) and Margaret Lund (b.1823) were married at Kendal Parish Church on 23 Jan 1847. Their dates of birth aren't shown, just that they are of age. Witnesses were William Whiteley and Mary Ann Atkinson.

1851 - Margaret (Lund) Nelson and son Thomas, live with her father, Thomas Lund, and her brother and 86 year old grandmother Jane Parkin. William and Jane Whiteley live next door to the Nelson/Lund's. (Address?)

1861 - Richard Nelson and his wife Margaret (Lund) Nelson live at 11, Captain French Lane. Their children are Thomas, Edward, Martha J., Mary A., and young Elizabeth, 8 months old. Also there is Mary J. Whiteley, age 10, described as a 'servant'. The Whiteley family have another daughter, Margaret, age 8.

1881 - William Whiteley, wife Jane and their daughter Mary Jane Whiteley, 30, are at 49 Captain French next door to the Nelson's at 51. Listed are the so called 'children' of William and Jane, ...Thomas L. Harrison 8, William J. Harrison 6, Richard E. Harrison 4, William T. Mitchell 9, and Jane Hannah Nelson, 10 months! The three Harrison boys were actually the children of Mary Jane Whiteley by a Thomas Harrison, but it seems Mary J. was not married to him? Mary's sister Margaret was married to William Mitchell.
1880 - A marriage record exists for a Francis Nelson and Mary Jane Whiteley in the March quarter of 1880. However, in the 1881 census she used the surname Whiteley and is described as a widow.
1881 - Workhouse records for Kendal have two Thomas Harrison's on file. Both are 55, one an 'imbecile', the other a 'wool comber'. Were they one and the same?
1891 - Mary Jane Whiteley is shown as wife to Francis Nelson. The Harrison boys are listed as (Nelson) stepchildren, and Frank and Mary J. are shown as having two children of their own, Margaret A. 5, and James, 1. Mary J.'s mother, Jane Whiteley, 71, lives with them.

1902 - (Edward VII's Coronation,) Whiteley Hair-Dresser, at 59(?), Highgate, Kendal and pre-WW2, W. Whiteley & Son, Ladies & Gents Hairdresser, 173 Highgate, Kendal.

How's that?
WESTMORLAND/LANCASHIRE
Heap, Armer, McNamara, Nelson
ESSEX/NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Humphrey, Potton, Snow