Author Topic: HARVEY, TITTERINGTON, MOIRA and dOWN  (Read 31671 times)

Offline neah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
HARVEY, TITTERINGTON, MOIRA and dOWN
« on: Monday 31 January 05 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any Harvey's or Titterington's born in or near Moira or Down in the 1800's
Harvey, Titteringtin, Dobbin
Moira, Dunmurry, Down,Dromore

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: HARVEY, TITTERINGTON, MOIRA and dOWN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 April 05 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hellol Neah,

James Craig married Margaret Jane Titterington about 1868
William John Dillon married Abigail Titterington about 1865
Alexander Harvey married Jane Titterington about 1866
Edward Titterington married Margaret Trimble about 1867
Rebecca Ellis - died 31st March 1888 aged 74;
buried with Elizabeth Titterington in Kilwarlin Moravian graveyard. Co. Down

Do a Google search for Ros Davies and open Co. Down Ireland Genealogy Research Site. Go to surname Craig.
I regret there does not appear to be the name Titterington on this site.
The above marriages took place in the Moira/Hillsborough area of Co. Down.
Ros Davies shows Harveys in both Hillsborough and Moira.

http://www.presbyterianireland.org/congregations/moira.html - You may find this site helpful.

http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Newry/1828/18280201.html -
This site mentions the death of Mary Ann Harvey, wife of John Harvey of Moira, in 1828

http://www.lisburn.com/books/historical_ society/volume6/volume6_
Mention is made in this site of Alex Titterington, Market Square, Lisburn, Co. Antrim

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline neah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. My Grandfather was born Aug. 1866 in Lurgenville, Moira, County Down. His Father was Alexander Harvey and Mother Jane Titterington. Do you have any information on Alexander or Janes Birth or death dates? The John Harvey you mentioned born in 1828 may well be Alexander's Father and Grandfather to John, my Grandfather. Any other information you have would be appesiated, or if I can be of any help to you, please let me know.  Nancy :D

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Nancy,

I am wondering where you are located. Do you know of the member of the Titterington family in this URL  http://www.f1rejects.com/drivers/titterington/ - ?  Would his family be descendents of the family you are researching ? I have no further information at the moment
I will do some some more research on this family and keep in touch with you.

Offline neah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 18:55 BST (UK) »
Jane Titterington, Marries to Alexander Harvey had a brother James Titterington, who came to Minnesota in the USA on or before 1882. My Grandfather John came here at the age of 16 and lived with him. I don't have any information on the Titterington's that remained in Ireland.  ???

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 19:57 BST (UK) »
Were the Titterington & Harvey families about whom you need information Church of Ireland, Presbyterian or Moravian  ?
I mention the latter because Elizabeth & Rebecca were buried in the Moravian graveyard.

The dates of the marriages make me think there may be a relationship between some of the Titteringtons on the list I posted on the 10th April

Offline neah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 14:51 BST (UK) »
I don't know their religon. Where is this list of Titterington's posted? If you go to the web site rootsweb.com/~mnwabash/  you will find a bioagraphy of the James Titterinton I mentioned and my Grandfather, John Harvey.    Nancy

Offline Strathaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 16:49 BST (UK) »
I am a first time user of this site and must hope you get this message. My grandmother was namely, Esther Jane Titterington daughter of Alexander Titterington and Mary Anne McAleenan resident in Ballyknock, Parish of Moira on the date of marriage viz; 6 May, 1862 at Moira Parish Church by Rev W.H. Wynne by licence according to the rites and ceremonies of the Unied Church of England and Ireland. Alexander and Mary Anne came to Glasgow where my grandmother Esther Jane Titterington was born on 5 September, 1869 at Glasgow where she died on 4 July, 1942. Back in 1983, I contacted the Titterington's of Moira - there were only three listed in the phone book them. I wrote to all three who got together and nominated one of their number to reply namely, Mrs Kay Simpson nee Titterington. Kay did a wonderful job in visiting the Record Office and recording by hand every entry for the Titterington's which remains in my possession. I am willing to share this with you - so please direct any questions and I will endeavour to answer. Although Mrs Simpson nee Titterington and I could not establish a family relationship there were family likenesses in photographs - but in spirit we felt a stong sense of kinship. I will always be indebted to her for all her valuable work on my behalf and remember with considerable fondness our meeting in Moira about 12 years ago. Interestingly enough an entry in my Family History Record jumped off the page a few minutes ago. It read: Jane Titterington married Alexander Harvey on 15th June, 1866 at Moira. I hasve often wondered given the name Jane as a middle name to my grandmother if the said Jane who married Alexander Harvey was a sister to my grandfather Alexander Titterington who married Mary Anne McAleenan whose father incidentally was Henry McAleenan (Labourer). I look forward with some eagerness to hearing from you. Yours etc. Bob Currie

Offline Strathaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 July 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
A further check of my records reveals that when Alexander Harvey mareried Jane Titterington on 15 June, 1866 both were resident in Ballyknock, Moira. I also note from Mrs. Simpson's notation that Jane's father was John Titterington (Labourer) and it was this piece of evidence plus the middle name Jane to my grandmother Esther Titterington that made me think somewhat positively that there is a connection with my line here especially since Esther's grandfather was namely, John Titterington of Ballyknock. Mrs Simpson also notes that there is no baptismal record for Jane. In 1983 there were 28 Titteringtons listed in the Northern Ireland phone directory. Of these only three were resident in Moira. According to information which I received from the Director of Public Record Office of NI and Administrator of the Ulster Historical Foundation the name Titterington appears in the Tithe Applotment Book for the Parish of Moira dated 1823 and 1829. The name also appears in the printed valuation. There are seven properties occupied by individuals named Titterington in the printed version of the tenenement valuation in 1864 and these include under the heading (ORD s. 13, 14, 20, 21)
John Titterington whose immediate lessor is Thomas G Scandrett in respect of a house total annual valuation of rateable property ten shillings and Jane Titterington whose immediate lessor is the Marquis of Downshire House and Land £1.5/- and William Titterington for the same lessor House and Land also £1. 5/
I personally think that John Titterington with house at 10/- could be my great-great grandfather but cannot prove. I think this because one William Haskins or Hoskins appears on the printed version of the tenement valuation of 1864 who is leasing a house from one John Arburthnot for ten shillings annual valuation and as it happens one William Haskins or Hoskins was witness to the marriage of my grandfather Alexander Titterington to Mary Anne McAleenan in 1867. Again I cannot prove.