Author Topic: alex kirkpatrick  (Read 7415 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: alex kirkpatrick
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 October 08 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell

That's great! I was only able to see a possible arrival in St John NF [limited access  ;)  ]

I wonder if that word is an abbreviation of "Sherbrooke"? Or Sherbourne? or something similar - I know they are both Ontario places.  Almost looks like "Shabr" to me with "Ont" written in fainter pen over the top/behind it & probably written later by a checker who wished to qualify which part of Canada "Shabr" was in....?

It does look like 20 yrs doesn't it -  Which would be abt 1893. So possible he might have been in Canada 1901.       Or does that mean he was in Canada for a period of 20 years......?

If he was farming in Ontario, Land records?

With that voyage Nell, can you confirm it's depart date/place and it's arrival date/place? Was it Glasgow to St John Newfoundland  and was Alex listed as KIRKPATRICK or GRAY or GREY?

I also wondered if you could see any likely travels across the border to US for either of the family, maybe even Alex on his own later and using either KIRKPATRICK or GRAY/GREY. Maybe into places like Michingan, illinois NY, Niagara Falls.....

I also wondered about WW1, as i would have expected Andrew to be registered but can't see him in the CEF database.

Gosh all those "? "! I'm mostly just thinking out loud, honest!

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 October 08 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly

Firstly I must apologise - I got my lines crossed when reading the small print while tired!
Have you ever visited Canada before - Yes
If so - where (difficult to read )
how long - 20 years
when - no entry
The very small print at the top of that particular column asks whether the passenger had worked as a farm labourer/gardener/stableman/navvy, etc so he was answering yes to that.
He ticked the column that stated he had NOT been to Canada previously.

Mea Culpa  :( - but it explains why I have not been able to find any trace of him in Canada prior to 1913!

The Letitia sailed from Glasgow to St Johns, Newfoundland, arriving on 14 April 1913

Alex Kirkpatrick, age 6,  travelled under that name.
Gray was spelt with an A.

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 October 08 17:04 BST (UK) »
You guys are doing great. How would we find a death cert. for any of these 3. Family history seems to think that they stayed in Canada for a while at least after arriving as my hubby has faint recollection of an old aunt being in touch.
Trena

Offline Admi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 November 10 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Guys, I don't know if this thread is still going but Elizabeth Gray (born Elizabeth Catherine Hardie Fingland at Milngate, Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire on Feb 12th 1880) was my great aunt. Her younger sister Catherine Graham Fingland (1892 - 1974) was my paternal grandmother.

Elizabeth had a chld in 1904 - John Fingland Kirkpatrick. She married John's father Alexander Kirkpatrick on May 26th 1905. Alexander Kirkpatrick died in 1908 and on Dec 24th 1912 Elizabeth married Andrew Gray at The Manse, Maryhill, Glasgow.

I believe that John Fingland Kirkpatrick was brought up by his grandparents in Perthshire. He went on to marry Christina Isabella Sutherland MacGregor in 1930 and died in Kingussie, Scotland in 1983.

I have various birth, marriage and death certificates if anyone is interested. Elizabeth and Andrew Gray's marriage certificate attached, also Elizabeth Fingland's birth certificate.

Thanks for the information about the emigration - explains why I can't find any records of their deaths in Scotland!
Palmer Service Fingland Kirk Lancaster

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 November 10 02:32 GMT (UK) »
There is a BC death registration for an Alexander Kirkpatrick, born December 1, 1906 in Scotland at the pilot family search site. 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ajh/

Father is listed as Alexander Kirkpatrick and Elizabeth Findlay, which could be an error due to lack of knowledge of the informant of the mother's maiden name. 

If you are interested, I can look up the death registration and give you a transcription.  It may take a couple of weeks before I get to the FHS library.

Susan

Offline Admi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 November 10 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susano, and thank you so much for your reply. I am very new to Rootschat and have only used it a couple of times. You have opened up a huge new avenue for me. I never thought of using the LDS family search site for "modern" records.

I would be very grateful and delighted to receive a transcription of the death certificate, and there is no rush at all. Thank you. Elizabeth was not the only Fingland to emigrate - one of her aunts went to New South Wales, Australia in 1853.

I knew Elizabeth Fingland's sister (my grandmother) Kate Fingland well - she died when I was 14. I also know the area where Kate was born and grew up. I have a lot of documentation, photographs, and family anecdotes which I would be more than happy to pass on, if I knew how and to whom.

I have already discovered distant cousins in Montreal and Florida, USA. This, for me, is one of the most exciting aspects of family history research - to meet like minded people, and even living relatives. Thank you again for your reply.
Palmer Service Fingland Kirk Lancaster

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 January 11 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Admi

I apologize for the great delay in doing the look up of Alexander Kirkpatrick's death registration.  I have now completed the transcription, and if you would like to send me your email address, I will be happy to send the registration details to you.

Thank you.

Susan

Offline Andrew1880

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 January 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for death cerificates of any of the following.Elizabeth Gray ,Andrew Gray, or Alex Kirkpatrick born1880, 1880, and 1906 in that order . They all emigrated to canada in 1913 and i can get no info since they boarded the ship bound for ST. Johns N.B. They may have moved to another area as i have searched N.B. with no results

Alex Kirkpatrick died in 1960 in Burnaby British Columbia.
Andrew Gray died in 1952 in Peterborough Ontario.
Elizabeth Gray died prior to 1947...probably in Toronto Ontario.
Gray, Fingland, kirkpatrick

Offline Andrew1880

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 06:27 GMT (UK) »
Guys, I don't know if this thread is still going but Elizabeth Gray (born Elizabeth Catherine Hardie Fingland at Milngate, Kirkmichael, Dumfriesshire on Feb 12th 1880) was my great aunt. Her younger sister Catherine Graham Fingland (1892 - 1974) was my paternal grandmother.

Elizabeth had a chld in 1904 - John Fingland Kirkpatrick. She married John's father Alexander Kirkpatrick on May 26th 1905. Alexander Kirkpatrick died in 1908 and on Dec 24th 1912 Elizabeth married Andrew Gray at The Manse, Maryhill, Glasgow.

I believe that John Fingland Kirkpatrick was brought up by his grandparents in Perthshire. He went on to marry Christina Isabella Sutherland MacGregor in 1930 and died in Kingussie, Scotland in 1983.

I have various birth, marriage and death certificates if anyone is interested. Elizabeth and Andrew Gray's marriage certificate attached, also Elizabeth Fingland's birth certificate.

Thanks for the information about the emigration - explains why I can't find any records of their deaths in Scotland!
[/quote
Admi

Alex Kirkpatrick died in 1960 at Burnaby British Columbia.
Andrew Gray died in 1952 in Peterborough Ontario.
Elizabeth Catherine (nee Fingland) Gray died prior to 1947...probably in Toronto Ontario.
Gray, Fingland, kirkpatrick