Author Topic: Seeking David Ayling  (Read 4616 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking David Ayling
« on: Sunday 12 October 08 20:48 BST (UK) »

I am trying to find the bapt., and thereby the parents of David Ayling, born circa 1750. He was wed and died at Alton,

This info from photofiche of the parish registers, but I have not found his bapt. I have found a note that says he MAY

have been born/bapt in the Petersfield area, but I have no real proof.

As he died in 1828 the census is not much use in this instance. I do know there were Aylings at Greatham, and that's

quite close to Petersfield, but it is still rather like fishing in a muddy puddle.

If anyone has the parish registers to hand I would be most grateful if they could look him up for me.

I know this is likely to prove a slow process of eliminating each parish in turn, but I have little alternative.

If he is there, the next question is who were his parents, and did they bapt. any of his siblings there.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking David Ayling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 08 14:27 BST (UK) »
The 1770 marriage does not appear in the transcribed records, only as a submission on the IGI.
That implies that the marriage took place elsewhere (Not at Alton), and quite possible elsewhen too..
As I wrote before you NEED to verify before continuing.

The transcribed records for Alton are at:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/search_igi.asp?batch_number=M146621&region=2&batch_search=true
Which you can explore for yourself, and verify by re-purchase of fiche. It's 1.75 a sheet from the Hampshire records office..

Pauline

Other records for Hampshire:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080205232610/http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyHampshire.htm#PageTitle

Put the Batch numbers into this page to search:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/igi/search_igi.asp?&region=2&batch_search=true
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have looked at the IGI, and although David Ayling's marriage to Elizabeth Winkworth on 24 Sep 1770 at Alton

seems to be there, I still could not find his bapt, not anywhere in Sussex or Hampshire, so I still have no clues as to

his parents.

So where do you suggest I try now ?

I am not too keen on the idea of purchasing every parish register for the whole of the UK in order to do a blanket search.

This is why I asked for help, I suppose I was hoping a member somewhere already had some of the registers and

would not mind taking a look for me.

Re, the nearest Mormon repository, it is 20 miles away. Although most places nowadays have wheelchair access,

I doubt if they have provision for the bed that I am confined to.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have looked at the IGI, and although David Ayling's marriage to Elizabeth Winkworth on 24 Sep 1770 at Alton

As I said before it is a SUBMITTED record;
We have absolutely no idea how the individual who submitted the marriage details came by them.

I've given you the links which would enable you to search the transcripts, all over Hampshire.
The transcripts indicate that the marriage did NOT take place at Alton.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
I can confirm the marriage of David and Elizabeth in Alton, but it seems unlikely that David was born there.  I've checked the Hampshire Marriage Licences but they did not marry by licence. There are no Ayling burials in the parish until the 19th century.  There are no Ayling baptisms between 1752 or so and David's own son James in 1774.  Prior to that date, I can't help  :( 

David does not make an appearance in the online catalogue of Hampshire Record Office and I've tried all the transcripts that I can lay my hands on, but that is not exhaustive.

There is a baptism in 1749 in Hertfordshire.  No idea if that may be relevant.  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 October 08 22:28 BST (UK) »

O.K., Thank you Little Nell. I'll take a look at that one.

The problem being that if I have no idea which parish, or even which county, to start looking,

then what fiche do I purchase ?

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 October 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
It is a problem, but it is important to start from what and where you know.  From his age at burial he was born about 1750 +/-.  The next thing would be to find out if it was mentioned on the marriage entry if he lived in a different parish from where he married.  Unfortunately, David does not seem to have left much of an impression in the record books, making the search that much harder.

There are other Ayling families in Hampshire - Hamble, Portsea to name but two parishes that I noticed.  Alton is relatively close to Sussex, so his family may have originated there.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janeh

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 04:06 BST (UK) »
You asked about the marriage of David Ayling in Alton. Although he and Elizabeth were said to both be ‘of this parish’ in 1770, David does not seem to have been baptised there. Presumably he was just working there at that time. The Petersfield connection could be because of the settlement certificate but that shows that the family were from Alton and they do not seem to have stayed there long. Yours Jane

1770   24 Sep., David Ayling married Elizabeth Winkworth at Alton by banns. Both were said to be ‘of this parish’. Witnesses were Thomas and Ann Swain.

1771   probable baptism of Sarah Ayling, daughter of David and Elizabeth but there are lots of missing entries from the Alton registers at this time.
1774   James Ayling, son of David and Elizabeth, baptised at Alton. (Reg)

1777   8 Apr., Jesse Ayling buried at Petersfield.

1779   settlement certificate among the Petersfield Parish records for David Ailing, turner, his wife Elizabeth and children Sarah aged 8 and Jane [sic] aged 5 of Alton. (108M70/PO12) Presumably James was misheard as Jane.

1782   11 Oct., George, son of David and Elizabeth Ayling, baptised at Alton. (Reg) The family had returned (or had been returned) to Alton.

Son James married and their first children baptised were:-
1798   Martha
1800   Mary
1802   George
1804   Sarah
1805   Isaac
1809   James   was he called Jesse later?
1811   John
Son George married and their first children baptised were:-
1808   William
1810   George
Daughter Sarah may have married in 1790 - William Butler.

1828   24 Jan., Elizabeth Ayling buried in Alton, aged 82.
1828   12 Aug., Daviid Ayling buried in Alton. Said to be aged 78.
[This suggests that he was born in 1750 but that would have made him underage when he married and that does not appear to have been the case so he was probably born pre-1750.]

1828   6 June, Mary Ayling buried aged 45
1829   1 Mar., Mary Ayling buried aged 53.
1831   4 July, George buried aged 48.
1832   1 Oct., William Ayling buried aged 26.

1881   Census, High Street, Berkhampstead
Jesse Ayling   73   retired tradesman (tin)   born   Alton
Jemima “   70            “   Farnham   
No Jesse appears to have been baptised c1808 in Alton but he could have been christened James?

Offline Chainsaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 10:21 BST (UK) »

That is wonderful, thanks so much, far more than I had dared to hope for.

One little question;-

Marriage of David Ayling and Elizabeth Winkworth on 24 Sep 1770 at Alton....... I don't

suppose there were any parents names mentioned ??