Author Topic: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?  (Read 12539 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
"Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?
« on: Monday 13 October 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

My 2xgreat-grandfather George BONSALL was christened on 5 Jul 1835 at Taxal.  Parents were George and Sarah, and their residence is shown in the parish register as "Hay Bottom".

Would anyone have any idea where this would have been?  I am speculating that it was the name of a field used for the growing of fodder as I understand a "bottom" is some kind of meadow...I have looked at the Cheshire Tithe Maps online, and Old Maps site, as well as modern maps, but no luck. 

George senior was an Ag Lab and all other children either side of George junior were born in Tansley, Derbyshire.  George senior was born in Selston, Notts and Sarah (Smith) was born in Crich, Derbyshire. 
As an ag lab I guess George went where the work was, presumably in the summertime, when George Jr was born, the work was over near Taxal.

Any help appreciated!

Thank you

Prue  :)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Hay Bottom/s" Taxal...any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 October 08 15:03 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon PruM
well it is here ;D                                                                     
I am speculating that it was the name of a field used for the growing of fodder as I understand a "bottom" is some kind of meadow
Wrong speculation ;D ;D.

I have just done a bit of digging for you it was easy.Haybottom is one word not two.In my result i found a M.i on the wishfull thinking website for a gentleman James ???
of Haybottom.He died in 1873
Another result on the Wills of Taxal & Whally Bridge,There is a will for a gentleman Of Haybottom Taxal 1901
Cant help with maps I am useless with those but the years and place might help find the correct map

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 08 15:21 BST (UK) »

1861 Taxal Census Haybottom Cottages in Taxal

http://www.disley.net/1861_taxal/1861_taxal.html

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 October 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
And

Taxal Baptisms St James Church

Surname Bonsall. 18th Feb 1844 Ann Maria
Parents John & Sarah
Address. Haybottom
Occupation  Labourer.

Of same parents John & Sarah.

29th June 1846 Forename Ruth
Address Kettleshume
Occupation Labourer

30th December 1849 Forename Samuel Peter
Address Haybottom
Occupation Labourer

Didnt find more unless there was a big Gap

Celia  P.SI missed one ::)                                                                                  21st February 1841 Bonsall Forename Joseph
Parents John Sarah
Address Howich End
Occupation Labourer
John is the only Bonsall in Haybottom

Found your George,so are these a diferent branch :-\
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia  :D :D :D

Brilliant!!  Thank you SO much - Haybottom Cottages sounds like the place I'm after  :)

Thanks also for the other Bonsall baptisms, I'm not sure who they are but no doubt somewhere along the line they'll fit in!  Into the notebook they go...

Thank you again!

Prue

Offline shallcross

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 11 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know this is an old post and you may have solved your question but Haybottom is an area rather than a street or terrace, it is the area around the river Goyt  to about halfway up Macclesfield Road.
My family interest is Depledge who also lived in and around Haybottom.
I am sure you have also discovered that up until the 1930s Whaley Bridge was split between two counties Cheshire and Derbyshire either side of the River Goyt
As Bonsall is still very much a local name you will find Bonsalls on the Derbyshire side of the river in Fernilee & Horwich End

Hope this helps.

For interesting local history info on Whaley Bridge take a look at www.whaleybridge.net/forum

Shallcross

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 February 11 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello shallcross, and welcome to Rootschat :D

Thank you for the info about Haybottom - I will have a look at some old maps and see if I can locate the area you are talking about.  Presumably Haybottom Terraces were then named after the area.

My George's family didn't stay in the area for long, it seems.  His father was from Nottinghamshire, and his mother from Tansley in Derbyshire.  In fact I think George was the only child of theirs born in Whaley Bridge, the others being born in Matlock and Tansley. 

Thanks again for your info and for the link to the website, I'll have a look at that now.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 April 11 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Prue.
Did you manage to track down Haybottom on the maps? If not, i think i can point you to the approximate area. Try comparing the sequence of entries in the transcription of the Taxal 1861 census return (see the link that Celia gave in her reply to your post back in October 08) against a modern map. After a bit of virtual roaming around the general Taxal area I homed in on Horwich End north of Taxal at the junction of the B5470 with the A5004. Going west out of HE, the modern map on the Old-Maps website names Sunnyside, and to its north 'Reddish' [Reddish Farm in the census?], and further west along the Macc Road, Dowry - all of which occur in the 1861 return. If you look at the 1861 sequence Haybottom and its cottages would seem to be somewhere in that general area. Translate that to an old map and you may be lucky and find H actually identified as such. You could try coordinates (roughly speaking) of 401186 / 380692 as a starting point.
Kind regards,
Birtle

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 April 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue
When you've finished your "virtual roaming" let me know where you think it is and I'll go and have a look. I'm only about 5 miles down the road.
Ray