Author Topic: Birtley,Co.Durham  (Read 23059 times)

Offline bigcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Birtley,Co.Durham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
I tried Stan's advice and they demanded money! ;D

Colin

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 15:23 BST (UK) »
I tried Stan's advice and they demanded money! ;D

Colin

Sorry   :( I should have made it clear that you can search the index for nothing, and get a list of the addresses but if you want to see the actual census image you have to pay. I just find it an easy way to see if an address exists in the 1901 census.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bigcol

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 October 08 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Stan,

I must have been particularly dense when I followed your excellent advice.

Thanks for the tip - I'll use it in the future

Colin

Offline lozanddoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 January 09 21:06 GMT (UK) »
hiya we live in birtley and buffalo terraces is now Grove cottages. we live up the road from it and there is a mens working club at the beginning of the street known as the buffs.
hope this helps :)

Offline Heinz 57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 January 09 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that.
Is Grove Cottages a street of relatively new buildings? Or have they renamed Buffalo Tearrace since 1901 census was taken?
My great grandparents lived there and it's the last I see of them. I am trying to find their deaths. I've searched the records of St.John's and the council cemetery with out success.
I can't wait for the 1911 census to release Co.Durham !!!!

Many thanks
Lynn
Bridgett - Tyne and Wear,Derbyshire.
Crawford - Co. Durham, Ireland,
Laycock - West Yorkshire, Co. Durham
Frazer - Co. Durham
McCutcheon,Broadfoot, Lemond - Wigtownshire
White - Co. Down

Offline veejaybee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 January 09 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Lynn, You may well be able to find your Grandparents deaths on the Free BMD site - also thre Registrars Office in Gateshead if they passed away in Birtley.  The Central Library also has Parish registers. By the way I am told Buffalo Terrace was just up from Grove Cottages - but the Central Library probabaly had maps of old Birtley.
veejaybee

Offline Heinz 57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I've been to the library and none of their maps had Buffalo Terrace marked. I asked for help at the desk and the attendant couldn't find it either. I've got the Allan Godfrey map of Birtley and it's not on there either
'It couldn't have been there for long' I was told at the library.

I'm quite local and have been through every possible parish record I can think of St.John's , St.Joseph's RC, the Methodist church on Station Lane etc. and I can't find them. My great grandparents separated and my great grandmother remarried and lived in the Huts during the 1930's until they were demolished. She ran a shop according to my mum. I have no idea where she moved to after that. The Huts were demolished in 1937 I believe. My mum seems to remember a relative in Pelton, but she was too young to recall any details. I have no idea what happened to my great grandfather. No one remembers him at all. But again I think he probably survived well in to 1930's. I have found two of his brothers in Birtley council cemetery, so if he died there in that time period I suspect he would have been put there with them. (He's not there I checked).
I've had this 'wall' for some time now. I don't know what else I can do. I've tried everything I can think of.

Many thanks for you help. If it was easy it wouldn't be any fun!
Lynn
Bridgett - Tyne and Wear,Derbyshire.
Crawford - Co. Durham, Ireland,
Laycock - West Yorkshire, Co. Durham
Frazer - Co. Durham
McCutcheon,Broadfoot, Lemond - Wigtownshire
White - Co. Down

Offline lozanddoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 January 09 11:16 GMT (UK) »
heinz the buildings have not been renewed just renamed. but going to gateshead civic centre would be your best bet.

Offline MickPat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 June 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
Just seen these posts.  Buffalo Terrace was on the main road going towards Harras Bank between Swinburne Place (which is still there) and the Traveller's Rest pub.  Then there was Napier Terrace then the Crown Inn and then Bede Row along to Harras Bank.  I lived in Wilfrid Street when I was a child (in the 50s and 60s).  The pubs were still there then but the houses had been demolished.  The houses were there when my mother was young and she has confirmed the information.   She describes Buffalo Terrace as flats with wooden steps at the back to the upper ones.