Author Topic: HODGE Family From St Ives Cornwall  (Read 16396 times)

Offline Beverly Wilkinson

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HODGE Family From St Ives Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 06:30 GMT (UK) »
My name is Beverly Wilkinson (nee Hodge) from Melbourne, Australia. I am a descendant on my father's side of the Hodge's from Cornwall and have just started on this adventure of researching them and am thrilled that I have found out so much in such a short time, e.g Lewis Hodge (b.1823)was a sea captain in Geelong (Certificate of Competency as Master in the Merchant Service UK and Ireland issued 24/5/2851) was unfortunately shipwrecked and lost at sea as were 6 crew (1 Newfoundland dog surviving) 23/4/1860 on schooner "Saracen" and his wife sadly giving birth to his 2nd son just a few days later,this child surviving 3 years dying of scalds.  He had survived one other shipwreck on the "Martha" in Feb 1858 delivering building materials to Cape Otway lighthouse but him and crew managing to get ashore and then finding their way overland back to Geelong, Victoria. So far I'm back to Christopher Hodge (b. c. 1736) and Mary Noble married 20/5/1761 at St Ives.  I'm pretty excited about all this. 

Offline Keithhodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 January 21 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Canada!!!!
I'm trying to find out more of my family tree for Hodge. I have traced my family tree here and I need some help from people currently living in Penzence. My grandfather William Bassett, born 20th Dec,1910. Mother Ethel Hodge, domestic servant of high street, St. Ives. Born: 214 Mount view, Madron.

Thanks,
Keith Hodge

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 January 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
The Penzance workhouse was at Mount View, Madron and you will find Ethel and William there in 1911.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7G9-W59

Ethel was aged 22 and born in Redruth.

Debra  :)

Offline Keithhodge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 January 21 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Debra,
Would you happened to know of who the father to my grandfather is? That is were is gets really weird. I have been told of stories of my gg mother working for the Barrymore's and that my gg mother may of had an affair with John Barrymore. Anything you might be able to find would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 January 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
If I took a guess I would think the father's name was William BASSETT.  Sometimes the only way to solve illegitimacy is to get on the DNA merry-go-round.

Debra  :)