Author Topic: cycling club Northampton  (Read 3577 times)

Offline umalaka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cycling club Northampton
« on: Tuesday 14 October 08 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys and Gals
This is a photo including my grt grt grandad George William (Big Bill) Thompson (1st on back row). He lived in Louise road Northampton and the picture was taken on the nearby Racecourse in early 1900's I guess. I was wondering whether anyone would know the name of the club? Is it likely to be associated with a local pub or something more formal?
Many thanks
John

PS I am always amused at the number of moustaches on dislay
Birch-Northants, Coleman-Beds,Collins-Northants, Dean -Oxon, Dudley-Northants, Franklin-Beds-Northants, Lamport-Beds, Muskett-Bucks, Nicholls- Northants-Warks,  Preece-Hereford, Stuchbury-Bucks, Thompson-Bucks-Northants,

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: cycling club Northampton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 October 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello John,Great photo,love the moustaches!no spandex or safety helments in them days!shame I can not tell you what club it may have been,I do know in Northampton & it's villages cycling was very popular, lots of  worker's from the  local shoe/boot factories would cycle of miles as part of their recreation enjoyment,I 've been told stories of how they would cycle of to Hunstanton (the sea side!)I do know Northampton athletics club (NCAAC  still around today) was founded in 1863, for a number of differant sports including cycling.There are alot of cycling clubs in Northampton today but I think most of them was formed after the war.Northampton was also one of the first towns in England to start playing bike polo which was in 1895.I really hope some one will come along & be able to put a name to the club for you ,it would be realy nice to know & interesting too,good luck regards Nipy

Offline triket

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: cycling club Northampton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 October 11 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello there, although I am not 100% sure, the photograph could well be of the Northampton Rovers' Bicycle Club.
From what I know of the club it was founded in 1877.
James Birt, a champion safety cyclist at the time appears to be one of the founding members, he also became the publican of the Bird in Hand pub 4, Regents Square,Northampton, the headquarters for the club.
George Sprittals was the Captain from the start to the early 1900s.
At the turn of the century the President was the Earl of Effingham.
Some time in the 1950s I believe the club was dissolved and its trophies donated to local active clubs (to be confirmed)
A member of the Hudson family, well known  fishmongers of George Row, was one of the custodians of the records, but where they are today I have no idea.
My grand father John William Bunting was an active member of the club between 1880 and 1890 (old newspaper cuttings as reference) he was Sub-captain and may be on the photo, 3rd row back 4th from left (to be confirmed).
The style of the bicycles seems to favour the early 1900s date.
Does this fit in with George William Thompson?
The club organised a High Hat run the start of what became the Northampton Carnival Parade.
I would be interested if there are any other recollections of club, or if any one knows what happened to the records. Eric.