Author Topic: John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers  (Read 16836 times)

Offline roman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers
« on: Wednesday 15 October 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have found the person I  think is my grandfather by approaching the R.I.F.archivist.Most things fit...enlisted in Hamilton,lived in Coatbridge etc.He died at Mont Noir,France and Flanders.The problem is, his medals were written for by a Daniel Daly and the army seemed to think it was his father.Here is my question.Is it possible another relative wrote on his father Luke Dalys behalf?Also I cant find a Daniel in the family to date.
Johns parents were Luke Daly and Mary (nee Lappin).The family were brought up in Charter Lane, Armagh.
John and Luke junior, went to Scotland to work and married there.
John married Bridget Bennett of Coatdyke and Luke junior, married Elizabeth Mc Elhinney of Shieldmuir,near Motherwell Lanarkshire.
Any help out there? :'(
Thank you readers.

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
Re: John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 08 17:59 GMT (UK) »
hi,welcome to rootschat!
i had always presumed that any medals would have been sent to the next of kin only,as john was married would he not have put down his wife as next of kin when he signed up? was his wife alive when he died? if he did put down his father as next of kin then maybe he was unable,for whatever reason, to send for the medals and perhaps a brother of john did?
a luke daly and mary lappan married on 1-aug-1869,armagh roman catholic church, so you could try and find other children for them to see if there was a son named daniel.
i found your other posts on another forum so i know you have been looking for your grandfather for a while,i was in the same situation with a greatuncle who i did eventually find, so i really do hope you have finally found him :)

tony

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Who is the R.I.F archivist?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline roman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your post.His wife was in hospital as she took a nervous breakdown when he went missing in 1918.Later that year his elder brother Luke junior married and the certificate said parents deceased,so Luke senior and his wife were dead when the medals were claimed in 1923.So far I have found the names of other siblings,Thomas,Mary Jane,Bridget,Ellen but not a Daniel yet.So I would like to find out where he fits in.Thanks for details above..these are the parents of my John Daly,his brother, Luke junior and the others above. :(

Offline roman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 08 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Who is the R.I.F archivist?
???

The Royal Irish Fusiliers archivist is Robert Cassells and if you write to him care of the Museum in Armagh he can research members of the regiment for a small fee.

Mentorscotus :)

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 November 08 22:19 GMT (UK) »
hi roman,

there was a daniel daly,shoemaker, living in irish street,armagh in 1910.
have you ever had the war memorial in armagh checked to see if john's name was on it? i looked for a list online but couldn't find one.

tony

Offline roman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 09:49 GMT (UK) »
hi roman,

there was a daniel daly,shoemaker, living in irish street,armagh in 1910.
have you ever had the war memorial in armagh checked to see if john's name was on it? i looked for a list online but couldn't find one.

tony

Thanks for these Tony. :)
I will check them now.There is a John Daly on the Dungannon memorial but I have no conclusive evidence that it was Luke and Marys son.
Thanks to little ideas from posters likeyourself I  can search other possible links.

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 November 08 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi roman,
I checked the war memorials on The Mall in Armagh today. One is for ALL people killed during the war but no names mentioned. The other comemorates Princess Victorias Royal Irish Fusiliers South African campaign 1899 - 1902. There is a Lieutenant C. J. Daly on this one but dates or place dont correspond for you so perhaps you can rule this out.
I also checked the 1901 Census for the 117 households in Charter School Lane Armagh. Two Daly families present - on page 50 & 109. One house had James 46 shoemaker, sister Ann Jane 57 Laundry maid & another sister Ellen also laundry maid.
The other house had Thomas, Head of house, 46,worked in gas works. Wife Ellen 45 plus six kids 17yrs down to 4yrs.
Not sure if this will be of any help but perhaps they are relations of your grandfather. Norh

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 November 08 11:32 GMT (UK) »
norh,
thats amazing that there are no names on the armagh war memorial :o i thought that was the whole idea of them. i can understand a large town with a memorial with no names on it but armagh's not that large! certainly no bigger than portadown. thats a bit of a disgrace :(

tony