Author Topic: John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers  (Read 16835 times)

Offline armagh20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 June 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi K
I am compiling names and details of  Armagh WW1 causalities for a book, which I hope will be published shortly. I am looking for further details and photos.
Joe
DALY, J
Date of Death: 26/10/1914   Age: 25
Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Fusiliers 1st Bn. .
Cemetery HOUPLINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION Grave Ref 11 D 14
Additional Information:
Son of William and Brigid Daly, of 31, Barrack Hill, Armagh
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
Name:   James Daly
Birth Place:   Peshawur, India
Death Date:   26 Oct 1914
Death Location:   France & Flanders
Enlistment Location:   Armagh
Regiment:   Princess Victoria's (Royal Irish Fusiliers)
Battalion:   1st Battalion
Number:   9719
Type of Casualty:   Killed in action

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Name:   James Daly
Regiment or Corps:   Royal Irish Fusiliers
Regimental Number:   9719

Qualifying date 22 8 1914   K in A

1911 Ireland census no mention of John (James) Daly probably serving in the Royal Irish Fusiliers
In the 1911 census John (James) Daly’s  Parents  William age 51 Barrack labourer born Co Roscommon, Bridget age 50 born Co Roscommon, family Mary Frances born India, Gertie age 12 born Armagh & Martha age 10 born Armagh. Religion RC  Lived at 2.7 Barrack Hill (The Army barracks) They had 13 children 4 living in the 1911 census
John (James) Daly was born in India so father William probably served in the army in India also may have been in the Royal Irish Fusiliers
In the 1901 census  William Daly age 39 married living in the Army barracks Religion RC remainder of family on different census form

In the 1901 census James (John) Daly age 11 born  Peshawar, India living with his mother Bridget age 38 sisters Mary age 10 born  Mureet India Girthtue age 3 Martha age 1 both born Armagh religion  RC at 76.7 Barrack Hill Armagh (Army barracks) Head of family on form H

Offline roman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Daly,Royal Irish Fusiliers
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 June 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for my grandfathers details. But I think the man you mention was a cousin. I shall need to dig out all my info and get back to you. Not that  we know much about the family . My grandfather may actually have survived the war but you know what the cards are like . My dad never spoke of him much. Thanks for this .I shall see if it fits . k