Author Topic: My Paternal Grandmother Mary Rickman (nee Collins) from Waterford City  (Read 14851 times)

Offline zish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Paternal Grandmother Mary Rickman (nee Collins) from Waterford City
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kieth.

I am related to the family above. I would be happy to share any info with you.
Kind regards.
Zish.

Offline KeithMcNulty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Zish, I PMed you my details.  Drop me an email and I am happy to share what I have.  Cheers!

Offline debu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
hi Croxley Mary Catherine Collins, was born 22nd Nov 1886, Grant's Lane, did marry Henry Rickman son of Edward & Emma Rickman from Fulham London, Mary's daughter of Denis Collins & Mary Quinlan, who married 5th May 1884, St John's son od Daniel & Honora Collins, Bandon, Co Cork & Mary; daughter of James & Catherine Quinlan of Kilmacow, their family Patrick Denis Collins, born 13th May 1885, Roanmore married 29/9/1909 Ellen Sheehan, St John's Church, Honora Collins, born 28th April 1888, Slievekeale married George Henry Starmer, twins next James Collins & John Collins, born 18th July 1897,  Jim

Offline KeithMcNulty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 14 January 16 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Jim, do you have details of the Daniel and Honora Collins marriage in Bandon?  Or how you found out that Daniel married Honora?  That part of my tree is at a dead end.  The history of Denis is very interesting and am happy to share if interested. 

Offline debu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 January 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith I have no info on marriage of Daniel & Honora Collins of Bandon Co Cork, I only research here in East Waterford & South Kilkenny, and to say on the marriage of Mary & Denis in St John's Church 1884, states that Mary's father was (strange) James Quinlan, as Mary was born in Mooncoin Co Kilkenny, the only Mary Quinlan born around that time was to William Quinlan & Bridget Cotton, following family Robert, 1843, Mary, 1844, died young, William, 1845, and Mary 1848, as James Quinlan was given as Mary's Father was Denis's father Daniel?Jim

Offline BW2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 January 16 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I'm a native of Mooncoin parish (also funnily enough with a Collins ancestor from West Cork - my grandmother was from the Rosscarbery area) and in response to a post on the Mooncoin facebook page I figured out Mary Quinlan.
As per the censuses, Mary Quinlan was born sometime in the late 1850’s or early 1860’s - 1856 (1901 census) & 1862 (1911 census).
I could not find a single Quinlan baptism in the Mooncoin register between 1850 and 1865. First one is a Margaret Quinlan on 16th Jul 1866, address Mooncoin town itself, with parents James Quinlan and Catherine Kenny.
When you look in the baptisms of the neighbouring Kilmacow parish, you find other children of these parents, William 1st Feb 1859 Grannyknock, Mary 28th Mar 1861 Grannyknock, Catherine 21st Sep 1863 Ballyke(ohane), Catherine 5th Nov 1868 Currawn & Ellen 22 Jun 1871 Dangan. (all these are townlands in Kilmacow parish - Grannyknock being a sub division of Granny/Grannagh)
So it looks like Mary Quinlan’s family moved around the Kilmacow/Mooncoin area over the years - I can only assume in search of work. You will also find a marriage record in Mooncoin parish for her parents on 11th Aug 1856 in Knockanure (again not a townland in it's own right but a subdivision of one of the townlands at the Killinaspig end of Mooncoin parish). See http://homepage.eircom.net/~mooncoin/Kilnaspic_townslands.htm
You can find all these record at http://registers.nli.ie/
Of course this ties in with Mary's marriage record where her parents are listed as James and Catherine from Kilmacow.
So while Mary Quinlan was born in Grannyknock, the family must have returned to Mooncoin and certainly her mother was a Kenny from Knockanure in Mooncoin parish.

On the Collins side do you have info on Denis' baptism on the off chance that there is a connection to my Collins family?

Regards... Bernard

Offline KeithMcNulty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 January 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard,

Regarding Denis, his British Army records contain an Attestation of his joining the 55th regiment at Lismore on 20 Jan 1847 aged 17 years and 10 months.  It states that he was born in Dessert, Bandon, Co Cork.  If this is accurate this would place his birth in March 1829.  I was not able to find a Baptism record for someone that matches this from Dessert or Bandon around that date, but I am not an expert on Cork parishes.   There are a lot of Collins in the area around this time.  Let me know if this is helpful and if you find anything I couldn't.

Cheers!

Keith

Offline debu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 January 16 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bernard thanks for your info and yes James Quinlan did marry Catherine Kenny, 11th Aug 1856, Mooncoin Church, both saying that they came from Knockanure. Their family baptised William, 1859, Catherine, 1863, and Catherine 1868, Ellen 1871, would Catherine be in wrong in 1863 or 1868, I have found many times Christian names entered wrong. Mary said she was born in co Kilkenny, in the census and to say she is not in Slieverue/Ferrybank and Piltown church records. Regards Jim

Offline debu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 January 16 20:19 GMT (UK) »
hi Keith I have a Church record of marriage, in Bandon Co Cork of Daniel Collins to Honora Foley, 2nd March 1824, Jim