Author Topic: David Hartley born 1772 in Ovenden  (Read 23203 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: David Hartley born 1772 in Ovenden
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 February 09 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian

Illingworth chapelry baptisms for the period are included in the Halifax records - I have the CD from Calderdale FHS.

There are a few Hartley/Heartleys with an abode recorded as Ovenden having children baptised in your time period, but no Davids, and actually not that many children! Looks as if they may have been non conformist, especially as David's children were baptised at Mount Zion. There were numerous non-conformist churches and chapels in Halifax, most not on the IGI. Calderdale records office looks like your best bet. Of course, David may not have been baptised at all - I have quite a few like that in the area.

I sympathise with your brick wall. Halifax isn't the easiest area to research - too many people with the same names, and a lot of non conformists.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline firefox1960

• RootsChat Senior
  • Judge us by our actions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 09 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Anne
Thank's so much for your considered and helpful response.
Kindest regards Brian.

Offline andrew hartley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I too have hit the same brickwall as you. Mine stops with William Hartley born circa 1792 also in Ovenden. There has to be a lot of records missing for Illingworth St Mary's parish church. I have been also trying to find the baptism circa 1786 of Bernard Hartley who lived in Hebden Bridge and also born Ovenden, but the same brick wall again. A bit of background will help.... My William marries at Haworth Church in 1818 to Rebecca Seed (Leed on the IGI). He stays in Haworth as do his descendants right down to me. His wife dies, Rebecca dies in 1846. In 1861 census a "new" daughter appears, a Grace Hartley aged 46, no sign of her before and she is born before his marriage to Rebecca. Also her place of birth is shown as Wadsworth (Hebden Bridge area) Could this be the Grace living with your David in 1841? William was a tinner, ie a worker with non ferrous metal, the Bernard in Hebden Bridge is an ironmonger and brass and iron founder. Bernard also has a daughter Grace. Additionally there are a few Bernard Hartley's in the Haworth Parish, more than the average for what seems to be not a common name. Hope you can see all the connections coming together within a relatively small area, but it all stops at Ovenden or Illingworth. There is a possible baptism for my William at Illingworth in 1792, father Jo, this could be John or Joseph. My thoughts are that it is Joseph as the Calderdale FHS CD shows it as Jos not Jo. I have visited the CFHS library and looked at the Illingworth St Mary's fiche and it is horrendous to read, the original register must be badly damaged. I have even tried to start earlier and come forward, starting with the Rev David Hartley, vicar at St Mary's Illingworth in the early 18th century but that also was a non starter. There is a mention of this Rev David on the hartley name website, it includes some of  his descendants including the Dr David Hartley and Winchcombe Henry, a name that crops up in my family much much later. Anyway enough babbling for now, hope it gives you something if only that I too have hit that wall. Regards Andrew

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 February 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Brian
I have found recently that there may have been some 'lumping' together of BMDs associated with the methodist circuits. At this time I am not sure of the details except that Ovenden and Southowram may have been involved.

There are some postings about Illingworth on RootsWeb Transcriptions that may be of interest
http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/TRANSCRIPTIONS-UK/2001-05/0989678594

Andrew I have a Susey Bland married John Hartley both of Haworth in 1854 at Keighley also Humphrey Wood of Haworth married Elizabeth Hartley 1850 Bradford and John Wood of Haworth married Martha Hartley of Cowling 1863 at Bradford.

Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrew hartley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Dave

We've been in touch before on GC. John Hartley is William's son. Susey Bland was his first wife. She died having had no children. Unfortunately the other names do not have any meaning to me.

Regards Andrew

Offline firefox1960

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Andrew and Dave,how nice to obtain a fresh response from you both regarding my illusive quest regarding the Hartley Clan.
I do know that David Hartley was born c 1772,I believe in Ovenden.
He married Sarah Whitley on 10/07/1791 in Halifax.
They had the following Children,
John Hartley 1792 -1869
Edward 1795
Henry 1797 - 1856
Adam 1798
Aaron 1801 -1851
Mary 1800
I am unsure of what happened to Henry ,Adam and Sarah,and a Grace Hartley appears on the 1841 census,and i am not sure what the link is to David Hartley.
David Hartley is buried in St Matthews church grounds  Rastrick along with his wife Mary ,son Aaron and Grandson Joseph Hartley 1830 -1843.
I managed to find David Hartley's sons grave Henry Hartley 1797-1856 ,he is buried with wife Martha(Goodyear)1791 -09/01/1875.
But strangely I couldn't locate other family members graves.
I have been advised that David Hartley was a non conformist,and that this could be a bit of an issue .
So many questions,The nbi lists a number of other Hartley's at St Matthews Rastrick,just not sure if there is a link.
I thank you both for your interesting posts.
Kindest regards as always Brian. :)

Offline firefox1960

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 13 February 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
The Grace Hartley that shows up on the 1841 Census was born c 1814,David Hartley died in 1851 after the 1851 census date aged 79,his wife had died in 1848.
Kindest regards Brian H.

Offline firefox1960

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 February 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
My apologies
I do know what happened to Henry Hartley-son of David Hartley and Sarah Whitley.
He married Martha Goodyear on 19th November 1818 in Elland,I have found no children to the marriage.
It is Edward,Adam and Mary Hartley I have no detail on regarding what became of them,and also( Grace Hartley) who crops up on the 1841 Census with David Hartley and wife Sarah plus their son Henry Hartley and wife Martha.
The search continues.
Kindest regards Brian. ;)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 November 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
David Hartley bapt 11th Nov 1754 father David at Halifax Northgate Presbyterian chapel

David Hartley Bapt 21st March 1773 Halifax Independent Chapel Northowram
father David

Maybe some connections

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hartley_(philosopher)

Brown horse Inn, Lane ends. Northowram may be interesting investigating as well

Could tell you more but would spoil your Fun

A trip to YAS Claremount House Leeds ask Janet

Ask Ian at WYAS Halifax Library

Bit of Sherlock Holmes thinking needed its all there if you work at it. :o

Enjoy  ;)

D/F 8) .......................................... ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth