Author Topic: Angelina MOWER born 1829 - Bury  (Read 13220 times)

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Angelina MOWER born 1829 - Bury
« Reply #54 on: Monday 01 November 10 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi J.J.

I've just noticed your reply and wanted to say thank you.  Sorry I haven't replied sooner.

Sophia Mower seems to have been a mysterious woman :o  It looks like George Everard Mower could well be a son of Sophia. 

Thanks for finding this information for me, much appreciated.

I never found a husband for Sophia, and have a feeling that she made up the names Frederick and William Mower as the 'father' of her two daughters, and with George Everard having no father's name too.............  ::)  I also never figured out why she was in London in 1845 with her 2 daughters.  Very strange

Just found a Frederick Moore born 1810 Suffolk and in 1861 he is on a sea Vessel in Essex and is listed as married  ::) could be the Frederick Mower but then again maybe not
Thanks again for your time and I will look into George Everard Mower.

Best wishes

Heidi  :)
Serjeant/ Sergeant/ Surgun/
Ipswich, Suffolk......
Shaw - Halifax area, (Ovenden, Northowram, Brighouse), Yorkshire......
Garratt - Crich/Belper/Ambergate, Derbyshire......
Elliott - Dewsbury, Yorkshire.....
Kay - Walton, Yorkshire.....
Griffiths - East Dean, Gloucestershire.....

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Heidi, did you ever get Sophias death cert as this would probably tell you whether she was wife/widow of whoever or whether she really was unmarried.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately the death cert information is given by the children or others if they aren't around, so that info may not be valid either. If all they ever heard their mother say is that she was a widow, then that's what they'll put down, true or not... If you can afford it, though, it's still is good to have it... Never know if some other info might pan out.  The ladies also may indeed have had 2 different fathers, one, Frederick something, the other William something ( if they both belong to Sophia)...so far there don't seem to be any births for either of them? tough going as there are so many areas to consider looking which may never pan out! Did you look for a will?
If Sophia was born a Mower, there is a Sophia born 1785 Cockfield,Sfk...but there are also few births for St. Edmunds Bury under Mower around the turn of the century... I see there are parents John & Susan (Thaine) Mower. There is no Sophia born to them, but she may have been and used a middle name...but how to look back then if no census marriage or death available to follow them through?...
St. James/St. Edmunds was a Catholic church, I think? One had to be baptized named after a Catholic saint. So the name Susan may have only been given at birth or Christening...The name Mary is used for a lot of births/Christenings for obvious reasons,  then middle names may have been used later in life. We have the same problem looking for all the Mary born in Quebec, Canada. Makes it hard to follow if the middle name isn't used.
Wish you luck with this project...Sophia's a slippery one  J.J.

Mind you it just occurred to me that even now some Catholic priests refuse to baptize babies born out of wedlock, so it was probably harder back then...
George Everard Mower...wonder what happened to him? Was Sophia old enough to have him? depends on the death or the census being true age... It also brings to mind that Angelina herself was old enough to bear children, so another consideration for the stew pot.  heehee, no help at all am I?

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry but I didn't round to getting Sophia's death certificate, but now that I'm back on the case of Sophia, I think I will  ;)

Thanks for all your comments and research on Sophia.  As far as I can remember on Angelina's birth certificate her father was Frederick Mower and on Adelaide's birth cert. it was George Mower.  I think she always listed Bury St Edmunds as her birth place and around 1801 for her birth year.   It makes you wonder about John and Susan Mower as parents as Adelaide was once called Susannah on the census in 1841.  I wonder why her name was changed (if it was) to Adelaide?  Not sure what happened to George Everard but I can't find anything for him apart from the birth.

Sophia's story sure is a mysterious and puzzling one :-\

But thank you both for your help and advice

Heidi
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have received the copy of Sophia's death certificate today and thought I would let you know what it says.

This still gives no details of whether she was widow etc, all it says is:

Died on 14th December 1865 at Wolsey Court, Ipswich, Sophia Mower female age 64 years.  Occupation looks like Needle woman :-\  Cause of death Ch. bronchitis 14 years certified.  Signature of informant was the mark of Rachel Wardley in attendance of Long Lane, Ipswich.  Registered on 18th December 1865.

It is a shame that it doesn't give any further information on Sophia, but then again it's a nice document to keep  ;)

Heidi

Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline sjohng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nameboard of the brig Elizabeth Jane 1817-1854
    • View Profile
Re: ANGELINA MOWER born 1829 - Bury
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 16 January 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
The following quote mentions a 'William Read'. Please have a look at www.lostbrig.net and use 'search'. William Read was a well know Ipswich shipowner and shipbuilder who was the last owner of the brig Elizabeth Jane registered at Ipswich from 1830 until 1854 when she was lost off Robin Hood's Bay. Read might have employed a carpenter and might have 'stood-in' for the father; perhaps because he was at sea, or had died?

I'd be grateful  learn more about this man and his life.

Best wishes SG.

I've looked at the marriage certificate again... the only witnesses were a Hannah Serjeant (her mother in law) and a William Read?  Wonder who the William Read was? 

I still can't understand why she would name a Frederick Mower as the father, wouldn't it have been better to have left it blank?  Not sure what they did in those days.

thanks for all your help again  ;)
William Read, Walter Hadgraft, Ebeneezer Robertson, Ebenezer Robertson, Ipswich, Suffolk, Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 16 January 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello SG,

Thank you for your reply and for the information about William Read.  This could well be the same William Read in Ipswich.  I know some of the family were based or worked around Orwell but not sure what they did.

I have had a quick look at the website and it looks very interesting so I will have a more detailed read later. 

It would be great if I could find out more about him  :)

Many thanks once again.

Best wishes

Heidi
Ipswich, Suffolk......

Offline sjohng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nameboard of the brig Elizabeth Jane 1817-1854
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 16 January 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heidi,

If you do find that he's 'my' William Read, please tell me the story of those you mention so I can write something for my 'lostbrig.net' site. William Read was an 'interesting' character, more than once in trouble; including being accused of deliberately sinking one of his vessels - but he was also a pioneering builder of steam vessels.

From his will I worked out a family tree. Perhaps there might be a name you recognise?

http://www.lostbrig.net/read_and_page/william_read_family_tree.pdf

Best wishes,

Steve.

William Read, Walter Hadgraft, Ebeneezer Robertson, Ebenezer Robertson, Ipswich, Suffolk, Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 20 January 11 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply. 

I haven't managed to check the tree yet or to find anything more for William Read, but if I get chance at the weekend I will take a look and get back to you. 

It would be great if I could find a connection, I did wonder who the 'William Read' could be.

Best wishes

Heidi :)
Ipswich, Suffolk......