Author Topic: Archibald McMillan  (Read 14763 times)

Offline Kerrbabs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McMillan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 22:08 GMT (UK) »
I know that it's a long time since I was looking for information on my grandfather.. Archibald McMillan. I was delighted to find an entry on the 1911 census that he was the adopted son of Donald and Margaret McMillan. I thought that my long and endless searching for him was over however I still haven't found any more information on him. His birth mother was Martha Sharp nee Callan from Ayrshire. I was very lucky to receive lots of information on his birth mother who actually remarried a Alexander McMillan who may have been a relative of Donald. I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction of what else I can do as you were so helpful with my previous enquiries.
Thank you.
Barbara 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 January 15 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have subscribed to Ancestry.co but unfortunately they do not have access to Scottish BMDs

Ancestry is only useful for finding census records - but you have to check the originals on SP once you know where they are, because Ancestry's transcriptions can be very misleading.

The only source of Scottish BMDs after 1874 is Scotland's People.

Between 1855 and 1874 you can sometimes get at births and marriages via your local LDS (Mormon) church family history library, but as far as I know this involves ordering film from LDS HQ and then returning to the library to view it. It's cheaper and quicker to look them up on SP.

There are no BMD certificates before 1855. The earlier records are the churches' records of baptisms and of proclamation of banns. These are widely available on microfilm, and also on SP. However they are not comprehensive as many events were not recorded at the time, or if they were, the record has not survived.

I have 3566 people in my tree born between 1800 and 1854. Of these, there are 716 for whom I do not have a definite year of birth. That is 20%, or one in five. I have seen suggestions elsewhere that the proportion missing is as high as 50% but that is not my experience as far as the first half of the 19th century is concerned. The further back you go, the more patchy are the records.   
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 January 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
His birth mother was Martha Sharp nee Callan from Ayrshire. I was very lucky to receive lots of information on his birth mother who actually remarried a Alexander McMillan who may have been a relative of Donald.

1. Get the marriage certificate of Martha Sharp and Alexander McMillan. Note the names of his parents
2. Get the marriage certificate of Alexander's parents. Note the names of his grandparents.
3. Get the marriage certificate of Alexander's grandparents. Note the names of his great-grandparents
and so on until you get to 1855.

4. Get the marriage certificate of Malcolm McMillan and Maria. Note the names of his parents.
5. Get the marriage certificate of Malcolm's parents. Note the names of his grandparents.
7. Get the marriage certificate of Malcolm's grandparents. Note the names of his great-grandparents
and so on until you get to 1855.

Compare all the names of Donald's parents/grandparents/great-grandparents with the names of Malcolm's parents/grandparents/great-grandparents. If there is a match, that is your answer.

If not, it gets a bit more challenging because you need to look for post-1855 death certificates of the people married before 1855. It isn't all that difficult, because the deaths of married women are generally indexed under both their maiden and their married surnames, and their death certificates tell you whether they were married (i.e. husband still alive) or widowed. You can use this information to narrow down the search for the husband's death. Death certificates will tell you the names of the parents of the deceased, and you can then compare the names of Donald's ancestors with those of Malcolm's.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kerrbabs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
Thank you for the tips you gave on finding out more info on the relationship of family members. I have since found out that the (Alexander McMillan born 1852 who married Martha Sharp born 1865 (Archibald Sharp McMillans birth mother) was the brother of (Malcolm McMillan born 1850) So it looks like Donald McMillan born 1872 (son of Malcolm) was actually the nephew of (Alexander) It seems strange that Archibalds birth mother married Alexander in Liverpool 1902 after giving her son up for adoption. Martha had previously been married to David Paton Sharp they had six children together. The mystery is did she meet Alexander after Donald and Margaret adopted Archibald.? I know thats something I'll never find out but I would still like to find out where my grandfather Archibald went after the separation from my gran, can you give me any tips on would he still be using the McMillan surname?
Thank you
Barbara

Offline hazel2015

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 July 15 08:07 BST (UK) »
hi , We have a archie McMillan on our family tree, he was my mother in laws uncle ....I will check my info on ancestry to check for you

Offline Kerrbabs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 July 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Hazel
Nice to hear from you. I would appreciate any info you could find for me regarding Archibald McMillan he was my paternal grandfather.

Thank you.
kind regards
Barbara