Author Topic: help Cathcart grave search. completed  (Read 4811 times)

Offline if6094

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help Cathcart grave search. completed
« on: Sunday 19 October 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
help please,recently found out i have a great grandmother buried in cathcart cemetery, i went down last week and was so dissapointed as the cemetery is virtually in ruins. i forgot to take piece of paper with location on it. so i would like to ask anyone if they are going to cathcart cemetery to maybe do a look for me. The lair cert. says no 8829 self N1899 not sure what this means, would appreciate any help. thank you. also if anyone in the paisley area could check out hawkhead cemetery for me lair no 1558 should be j. wark would be eternally grateful if any photos could be done. thanks again. from a newbee.

Moderator comment: title amended
mcmurray, boyd, burnett,phillips, commyn,odair,IRELAND
cairley, blane, young,caddies,jenkins,Scotland/Ireland

damnonii

Re: help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this definitely Cathcart Cemetery, rather than Cathcart Old Parish Church?  I am familiar with Cathcart Cemtery but don't recognise the lair reference which is why I'm thinking it's the latter? The old churchyard is indeed in some state.   I might be able to get along at some point for you.  I'll let Daval know of this thread.  he has visited more often than me and might know what the ref means

Lora

P.S. specific titles will get you a better response - I might not have spotted this thread at all.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: help Cathcart grave search
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi if6094 (Is it OK to be so informal of me to call you that?  ;D)

Lora pointed me towards your post.  From your description of the cemetery, I suspect you visited the Cathcart Old Parish Church yard (just off Carmunnock Road / Manse Brae).

If you give name and date of the stone you're interested in, I'll have a look, weather permitting.  I pass it most weekends but it usually involves climbing a wall to gain entrance.   

I've only been to the other Cathcart cemetery (off Clarkston Road) a couple of times and I would not describe it as being in ruins.  Cathcart cemetery is vast and is in on two sides of a busy road.  Lora, knows it a lot better than me.

If you can check the lair details and which of the cemeteries is involved, we'll try and get it sorted for you.

Dave

PS As the mod has changed the title of your thread, you may want to put another post on this board re Hawkhead.

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

damnonii

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you would get to old cathcart much faster than I would Dave.  You might need waders and an underwater camera though if this keeps up ;D

if6094 Re: Hawkhead - I just noticed you don't give a section number - if you create a new post you should put it in if you know it, its a big place.

Lora

Offline if6094

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
 ::)hello there dave and lora, sorry to be so ignorant, the section for hawkhead is "D" class 5 whatever that is and lair no 1558, thats whats on the title deeds.bought in 1902, intered in 1925. john wark. the other was defineately cathcart cemetery, across from the old toledo picture house at muirend. i went in the main gate, the pamphlet i have is in tatters, but it says the cathcart cemetery company ltd.  fees etc. and in  middle page has a picture of layout ,cemetery lodge was up for sale, i went to the left and round a lot of the stones were on there backs for safety reasons, but it was fairly overgrown in places,i dont have a scanner so i cant show you the details but they are exactly what i said on first post.  mrs mcmillan no 8829 self n1899 thats all there is, hope this helps and thanks for your trouble. irene ::)
mcmurray, boyd, burnett,phillips, commyn,odair,IRELAND
cairley, blane, young,caddies,jenkins,Scotland/Ireland

damnonii

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 October 08 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

Yes that's definitely Cathcart Cemetery you're talking about, sorry for the confusion.  It's much bigger than the bit at the main entrance and there's another section across the road at the top!  Some sections are in better condition than others, but there are indeed many stones on their face.  I wouldn't have said so much at the main entrance though, that's one of the poshest bits!
I've put the modern cemetery plan online here if you want an idea http://tinyurl.co.uk/ssqb

hmm no 8829 self n1899
I admit I'm stumped as to what the first bit means, but I can go to section N and try and find grave 1899 and see what I find there.  Unfortunately there isn't numbers on all the stones so it's not always easy.  Section N does have many stones lying down but at least I can tell you if it is.

Could you tell me Mrs McMillan's full name, her maiden name and anyone else that might be on the stone like her husband?  and do you know the year she died in?  Section N ranges from about 1910s to 1930s if I remember rightly but that's just a rough guide.   Also If you don't mind me asking do you have an idea of whether I'm looking for quite a substantial stone or a smaller one? 

I'll have a look tomorrow morning if it's not too wet.

Lora

damnonii

« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 October 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

I found N1899. It's a bit of a mess, but it doesn't look like there was a stone there, sorry.

The base stone on the left next to the tree is numbered N1897-8.  I think this means that the base to the right of it is probably 1898 and they would both have been related.  The front of the stone reads 'erected by William Andrew'.  It looks like it's Mr Andrew's stone that has fallen over lair 1899.

This is the stone to the right of 1899 which i think is 1900 but I'm including it just in case the names mean anything.

I checked around the site in case any plaques or stones have been moved but couldn't see any McMillans. 

Pm me your email address and I'll send the photos.  I've written where it is on a map for you as well if you get to visit again.

Lora.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 October 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lora Irene & Dave,

N1897-8 would mean that this stone was in the centre of a double lair - e.g. 6 feet wide rather than the usual 3 feet, so you'll be right about N1899 being on it's right.

Does the stone lying face down look as though it is the top of the base that's marked 1897-8? The 'stumps' left on the top of it would have at one point fitted into holes in the top half, so if they look as though they would fit, it might be worthwhile asking the groundsmen to turn it over - if there are any working in Cathcart?

Anne (poking her nose in as usual!!)  ;)

damnonii

« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 October 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne, I think I'll need to go back and take another look  :-\  It's actually the one right next to the tree that's labelled 1897-8 not the one with the stumps sorry.  If that's in the middle of 2 plots then where the one with the concrete stumps is would be lair 1899 but the one with the stumps is erected by William Andrew.  I know it's facing the wrong way but I doubt it belongs to the other side as it would need to have travelled uphill!  So I'm fairly certain it is the plot where the fallen stone is.  I must have been tired this morning and never checked if there was holes for the stumps  ::)

groundsmen - in Cathcart! :o   actually to be fair they have recently been seen putting up stones, but not in any particularly systematic or sustained way (during the most recent attempt they dug the holes for putting the fallen stones back up in a small section then disappeared for over a month before actually putting the stones in  ::) haven't been sighted since).   

I'm not sure Irene how you would go about getting it turned over and put up if it is the right one. I suppose the first step would be to get in touch with East Ren council and see what they say. http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/burials (good luck!)

Lora (trying to set the record for use of smilies)