Author Topic: Hovding 1873 Crew/deserters  (Read 6932 times)

Offline DonL

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Albert Clarence & Rosie Lindale with daughters
    • View Profile
Hovding 1873 Crew/deserters
« on: Tuesday 21 October 08 04:47 BST (UK) »
According to the book Scandinavian Footprints in NZ , the 1873 Hovding voyage which arrived in Napier in 1st December 1873 had three crew members jump ship. One of these could be my great grandfather Franz Wilhelm Anderson.

I have been unable to locate a crew list or any information on the names of the deserters.

Any ideas where I can find this info - note the Papers Past Pages for this period for Hawkes Bay papers are not on line.

Regards

Don L

04/12/1938 - Jan 16th 2021
Lindale/Lindhal/Lindahl - Scandanavia - Denmark- Sweden
Olsen ,Christiansen - Norway
Bergstrom, Lamberg, Pasche- Sweden
Crundwell,Myers,Wilson -UK
Byrne,Miskelly,McGrevy,McGreavy, McGreevy -Ireland
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore
St Romain//de St Romain,Nozace-Reunion
de Silva -Argentina, The Philippines

Offline MEEP_MEEP

• I have turned off all notifications to my postings
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hovding 1873 Crew/deserters
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 09 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My Family came over from Grue, Hedmark, Norway on the 1973 voyage of the Hovding. May I suggest checking out Norwayheritage.com and The norsewood Cemetary Project.

http://www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz/ships/1873-hovding-passenger-list.php

http://www.norsewoodcemetery.co.nz/ships/1873-hovding-passlist-only.php

Your ancestor could well have jumped ship, that particular voyage was one that would live on in the passengers and crews mind for all the wrong reason, THe Captain was often in dispute with his crew and passengers over food, medicine and treatment. After landing, a committee was formed and formal complaints against the caption were served to both the New zealand and Norwegian governments.

Offline DonL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 January 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Meep_Meep,

Thank you for that information. However I have looked at that on many occasions but to no avail. It clearly spells out the passengers but no mention of the crew. The passengers were mainly from Norway - my great grandmother was from Norway but arrived here on the Arethusa in 1879 - her husband to be, Frans Wilhelm Anderson (from Sweden) was already here. I am trying to find how he arrived as it is rumoured that he had jumped ship. A book I had read indicated that several crew members from the Hovdings's 1873 voyage jumped ship at Napier. - So I am still looking.

Thanks

DonL
Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore

Offline SimonJA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 April 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi DonL

Did you ever get to the bottom of the crew list ?

My great grandfather was swedish and the family history was that he deserted in Napier off a ship with two other members of the crew and hid in the hills until a few days after the ship sailed at which point they gave themselves up. The story was that my great grandfather was a cabin boy aged around 13 when he deserted, his name was Henrietta Andersson which he anglicised to Henry Anderson, my great aunt said he was a stickler for returning mail misaddressed to the Anderson with 2 s's. Many years later when he needed to get a birth certificate it turned out he was older than he thought by some 5or 6 years so would have been a 19 or 20 yo crew member.

He married in Napier in 1880 so it's quite possible he was one on the Hovding crew deserters.

Cheers
Simon

Offline DonL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon

I did not get to the bottom of it but suspect he was a crew member possibly on the Hovding.

When he left Sweden his birth name was Theodore Frans Bergstrom but in New Zealand he was know as William Francis Anderson -  bit of a coincidence that we have an Anderson as you do.

It would be great to locate the crew list to set this search to bed.

Happy hunting

DonL

Swanson, Newman
Chrestenson,Whitmore

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi SimonJA
Do you have anything of him in Sweden. I can check in the Swedish Church Books to see if there is a mention of him jumping ship.

Ian

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 17 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian...

I suspect he is the following although I may well be wrong...

Svenska In NZ

No.165
ANDERSON, Henriky/Henrik
b.15 Dec 1852 - Stockholm birth not traced
Arrived NZ in 1873
Naturalised 13 Aug 1884, Napier NZ
d. 6 Dec 1932, Napier NZ

Married with 5 children

Master Mariner Certificate (Home Trade)
Issued 16 Apr 1879

No parish mentioned sorry. Needle -> Haystack :-)

Although the naturalisation papers and Master's Certificate (no.5167) can both be viewed at Archives NZ I doubt they'd have any additional info. Happy to be proven wrong but I'm pretty sure the author would have mentioned it.

Nor is there anything as regards a birth parish in Henry ANDERSON's probate file.

Might need further info from SimonJA (death cert info, siblings) to narrow things down.

Quite impressive if six years after jumping ship he is a Master Mariner.... all assuming the above is the right man.

Regards
Beg

Offline SimonJA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 April 17 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg and Ian

Thank you for the information and that does indeed seem to be my great grandfather.

I'm not sure the date of death is quite right as I have always believed he lived into his early 90's but it's quite possible I have that wrong, the Anderson / Andersson side of the family is the one that I have only recently started to research and the information I have is limited, the family history was never much talked about although I do have, but cannot find currently, some history from Henry's daughter about his siblings and place of birth. If I recall correctly his family came from a fishing village and while he went to New Zealand others went to Canada.

Henry did indeed become a master mariner and was captain of a number of ships sailing out of Napier for the Richardsons shipping line and he went on to become harbour master and a member of the Napier Harbour board.

Thank you for your help and comments

Kind regards
Simon

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:44 BST (UK) »
Quote from: SimonJA
I'm not sure the date of death is quite right

Hi Simon...

Welcome to Rootschat :)

This is the probate file I mentioned...

http://tinyurl.com/k2jbxcf

The affidavit gives the date of death as 6 Oct 1932, not 6 Dec 1932 as quoted in the book Svenskarna I Nya Zeeland: The Swedes in New Zealand by Sten AMINOFF.

The affidavit is the correct date as it agrees with the recorded date of death on the BDM NZ Deaths website...

1932/11854 - ANDERSON, Harry - 81 years - d.o.d 6 Oct 1932

---

As my quote from "The Swedes in NZ" has one thing incorrect it may well have other things wrong. It might be worth your while starting a new thread and asking for a look-up at Wellington Archives.

Include the following links in your post...

From: Henricky Anderson, Napier Date: 25 June 1884 Subject: Memorial for Naturalization
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24412797

and

Certificates of Competency - Master - Home trade [1879-1881]
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=14557091

State that the 1879 Certificate for Henry ANDERSON is certificate no.5167

To be safe, I would also include the following link to the 1878 certificates. I don't think it will be needed but the official title in the AtoJ's is given as "Certificates granted during the Financial Year 1878-1879"

Certificates of Competency - Master - Home trade [1877-1878]
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=14557090

With luck, some kind soul will visit Archives on your behalf and take photos of the above documents. The photos will then be emailed to you.

---

You may be wondering what this has to do with the crew list for the Høvding. In a nutshell - nothing :-)

But by looking through the "Household Registers" Ian has had previous success of finding a mention of crew members who have jumped ship. The "Household Registers" are records of pretty much everyone who lived in Sweden. The problem is that it's needle/haystack unless you know the parish in which the person was born. The above-mentioned naturalisation papers and certificate may hold a clue.

Regards
Beg