Author Topic: Hovding 1873 Crew/deserters  (Read 6946 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hovding 1873 Crew/deserters
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 April 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

Just out of interest do you have the marriage certificate for Henry ANDERSON.

As it took place in 1881 it just sneaks in as one of the certificates which include birth place and, more importantly, names of parents. Will be helpful to know what info Henry gives as opposed to the (second-hand) info given by his informants/executors.

---

Quote from: SimonJA
[...] sisters Ita and Mita who both were killed in the blitz in England during WW1

Isn't the Blitz generally associated with WW2.

For what it's worth, FreeBMD has no obvious Ita or Mita/Mette/Metta recorded as dying during WW1 or WW2. Happy to be proven wrong.

---

Have had a quick look through some of the parish records for Helsingborg. Nothing jumps out. Will look further this weekend. The records for Helsingborg "city" don't seem to be indexed on Family Search although their website says they are right up to 1860. A real pain.

Regards
Beg

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 April 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
I have already checked the Church Books without success. Just waiting for any other info that might be posted, hopefully parents names and/ or a Parish.

Ian

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 20 April 17 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi DonL, Jamcat95 and SimonJA,

I have images of the 1879 Masters Certificate for Henry ANDERSON (no.5167) and the 1884 Naturalisation file for Henricky ANDERSON, Master Mariner of Napier.

Reading through this topic it seems to me that you might all have an interest in these documents.
I'm happy to send copies to anyone who sends me a PM with their email address.

By the way, DonL mentioned the surname BERGSTROM, and I think I saw that surname in one of the two Certificates of Competency - Master - Home trade files I sighted today.

Should I go back for another look?

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spades. Unfortunately not a lot to go on. We'll see.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 21 April 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi DonL

Trying to find a connection to all this through your Frans I went digging a little. I don't know what you have but I did look at your on-line tree.

There are a number of records I did find that might help out a little. I'll post them anyway even perhaps you may already know this. There was no mention of any name of ship involved.

-He was born Frans Theodor and was elegitimate. His parents were not married or nor did they get married. Sophia Charlotte Bergström died single. Lars Roslind was in the cavalry.
-He lived in Gothenburg from 1855 to 1862 with his mother and his grandmother and her family. His grandmother was a widow.
-In 1864 he had the name Theodor Roslind.
-According to his confirmation record from 8 May 1871 he was named Theodor Frans Roslind. Also recorded was the fact that he was a seaman and had enrolled 7 April 1873.
-Sophie Charlotte Bergström's will record from 1900 stated that her son Frans William sailed to sea and never returning back home being married and living in Australia.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 April 17 10:11 BST (UK) »

Just out of interest do you have the marriage certificate for Henry ANDERSON.

As it took place in 1881 it just sneaks in as one of the certificates which include birth place and, more importantly, names of parents. Will be helpful to know what info Henry gives as opposed to the (second-hand) info given by his informants/executors.

Hi Simon
I have tried to search for him with the same date of birth but to no avail. If you can get hold of his marriage record as posted by Beg then that may help out. We need more info.

Ian

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 23 June 17 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon...

Was passing through a soggy Napier this morning so called in at the library.

Here is the death notice and an obituary for Henry ANDERSON.

Not of any obvious help but thought you might appreciate it.

---

Click on the following link then X the pop-up box asking you to sign in to Dropbox.
Then click the "Download" button, then the "Direct Download" button.
Let me know if there's a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/ya7q8pul

Regards
Beg

PS to SuperMod :-)  ... am I right in thinking that only DonL gets notified of this post and not SimonJA

Offline Beryl Hatton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi DonL,
          Did you find anything about the deserters? My Great Grandfather arrived in NZ from Norway about then. There is a story that he jumped ship or was shipwrecked. He could be one of the 3 deserters in 1873 from the Hovding. His name was Carolus Peder Andreason which he anglicised to Charles Petersen. He worked for a time in Thames in the mines but after meeting his wife he married and they lived in Gisborne. He came from the island of Ona of the coast of Norway. I have not been able to find naturalisation papers for him.

Offline Shazz54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 March 22 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this site & need help.  I too am seeking a crew list for the Hövding in 1873 in Napier NZ.  Quite possibly my great grandfather could have been one of the deserters. He was born in Nordmaling, Västerbotten abt 1855/56 I believe. I have no idea of his Swedish name although a Eric Olssen was suggested.  But his name here was Charles Thompson. I have been told a rumor that he jumped ship in NZ & he was possibly a cabin boy?  His naturalization in Dec 1893 (age 37yrs) indicates he had been in NZ for 20 years making him about 17 yrs old when he jumped ship. I believe he worked on roads, bridges etc & was settled in Pohangina Valley after marrying Winifred Mary Maddock abt 1886/87 & also lived in Ashhurst NZ.   Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you 😊