Author Topic: Police Records Inverness-shire  (Read 15706 times)

Offline JennNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Police Records Inverness-shire
« on: Thursday 23 October 08 03:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for records of my gg grandfather John MacDONALD PC in Croy and Dalcross around 1868 until 1873 when he was a PC in Fife.
Where would I be likely to find these records.

JennNZ

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Police Records Inverness-shire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 October 08 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Lochaber Archive has various police records for this area which will have come down from Inverness which suggests that there might be other police records held in Inverness.  They don't seem to have their catalogue online but their website is here.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/what-to-see/archives/

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
  • Northern Police Pipe Band www.norconpipeband.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 October 08 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Looking for records of my gg grandfather John MacDONALD PC in Croy and Dalcross around 1868 until 1873 when he was a PC in Fife.
Where would I be likely to find these records.

JennNZ

Hi JennNZ:

I emailed the information of PC John MacDonald's service record (Inverness-shire Constabulary) to an enquirer  in New Zealand (I am presuming it was you) on 17th September, in response to an emailed enquiry sent that same day to the Northern Constabulary's website.

If you did not receive it, please contact me on Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the Personal Message system to exchange such info      and I will happily send it again.

Best regards

Dave Conner
Inverness
(Northern Constabulary's volunteer historian)
Dave Conner
retired police officer / force historian (volunteer)
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Researching Police History of the Scottish Highlands and Islands
(Northern Constabulary area)

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 October 08 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Info on PC John Macdonald successfully re-sent!
Dave Conner
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Offline loulabelle-nz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 May 09 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Saw your post and am wondering if you can help me. I am looking for further information on a ancestor John McQuarrie, who gave his profession on his sons' marriage certificate in 1959 as “Police Constable”.
Not sure when or where born in Scotland but  think is it is around the Invernessshire area about 1813. His son John McQuarrie (McQuarry) was born 8th Dec 1835: Baptized 22nd July 1837 Father: John Mcquarrie & Isabella Gordon: "Sheriff Officer", Dingwall
Would really aprreciate any help or who to contact info would be most appreciated, Thanks Louise Sutherland in New Zealand

Offline Rosie60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I have a gt grandfather(x3) who became a policeman in Inverness in about the 1830-1840's - his name was David Anderson.

Can anyone advise as to whether there may be police records from that time, which may include him?

Thank you

Rosie60
Anderson, Low, Reid, Painter, Darter, Myles, Martin, Murphy, Connelly/Conlin, Stewart, McKenzie, Denham/Denholm, Findlay, Gordon, Leaver, McGee, Milne, Phease, Crips, Doig, Forbes, Hogg, Povey, Proctor, Millar

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 11 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Would this be the David Anderson who was appointed Superitendent of the fledgling Inverness Burgh Police in 1847, and who went on to be the Superintendent of Dumfries Burgh Police (1858)?

I have a gt grandfather(x3) who became a policeman in Inverness in about the 1830-1840's - his name was David Anderson.

Can anyone advise as to whether there may be police records from that time, which may include him?

Thank you

Rosie60
Dave Conner
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 November 11 19:10 GMT (UK) »
hello conner395, i saw your posts above and wondered if you could give me any info on the following photo.  it featured in my great granny's (Betsy (MacLeod) MacRae) collection.  i have no clues as to who this chap is.  clearly marked is number 28 on his collar, and i'm presuming its a policeman's uniform?  the imprint of the photographers name reads  The Elite Studio, 25 Bridge Street, Inverness.

Hope you can help :-)

Offline conner395

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm the photo is of a Constable in Inverness Burgh Police, definitely after 1910 (the cap badge was slightly different until then) and before 1930's when the Force adopted the Scottish National ("Semper Vigilo")cap badge.

I am afraid I cannot positively identify the officer (police records do not usually have the shoulder number as that can change over time as officers could be re-numbered to reflect seniority) - I but can at least narrow it down a bit more date-wise.

In 1912 the Force had only 26 (all ranks) and by 1925 it had 32 (all ranks), so we are talking mid-late 1920s for this photo. Inverness Burgh's personnel register, like many forces, was rewritten when a new Chief Constable took over (being a bound volume, it would have a lot of "dead wood" over time, with pages pertaining to officers who had left the force) so the change of Chief provided for a new book to be compiled, containing details only of those officers then serving.  Inverness Burgh did NOT have a change of Chief in 1923, but for some reason a new book was started then, with Chief Constable MacNaughton on page 1.

Thankfully that book did not need re-doing for the rest of the force's existence, and latterly the shoulder number WAS recorded against an officer. But "28" is shown as allocated to a Constable who joined on 20th July 1938 (and retired 1964). Chances are he inherited that number from the person who left on the same date as the new man joined, and that man was a RONALD MACASKILL (b. 1886) who retired after 30 years service (as a Constable) on 20/7/1938. Only 2 men left the force in 1938 and the other was an Inspector (who would not wear a number).

That's of course mainly guesswork on my part, but it is definitely a possible.

Does that name by any chance mean anything to you?

Dave Conner
Inverness
Dave Conner
(Northern Constabulary)
Inverness, Scotland