Author Topic: SERJEANT - Ipswich  (Read 7963 times)

Offline hmserge

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SERJEANT - Ipswich
« on: Thursday 23 October 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
My maiden name was Sergeant and I'm keen to find any other fellow Sergeant's.  I am from Yorkshire, but they originate from Ipswich, Suffolk.  The name was spelt various different ways eg: Serjeant, Sergeant, Sargent, Serjent and more!

I would love to hear from anyone who has Sergeant connections from Ipswich, Suffolk.

Serjeant/ Sergeant/ Surgun/
Ipswich, Suffolk......
Shaw - Halifax area, (Ovenden, Northowram, Brighouse), Yorkshire......
Garratt - Crich/Belper/Ambergate, Derbyshire......
Elliott - Dewsbury, Yorkshire.....
Kay - Walton, Yorkshire.....
Griffiths - East Dean, Gloucestershire.....

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can contact me via my website
    • View Profile
Re: SERJEANT - Ipswich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there hmserge!
We are searching for the place of birth of our Daniel Sargent (Sergeant, Sorgoant, Surgeant etc.!) at the top of out Tree.
He was a Rope Maker, born 1755 & he worked at the Woolwich Rope Works.
He married Sarah Wilkinson at St.Alphage, Greenwich and they lived out their lives with their large family at Woolwich... we know this from the 1802/3/4 Pay Books at Kew.
This week we have had an amazing find - the 1801 Woolwich Ropeyard Ledgers which told us that he did his Apprenticeship at YORK and was a Freeman of YORK - unknown if he was born there.
Please get in contact so that we can exchange Tree details.
FredLeighton; Hutchins; Bond; Dobbs; Colmer; Jacob; Padfield; Allen; Churchill; Bennett; Boast; Boyens Starkey; Calvert; <br> Hoskins; Sargent; Lightermen & Watermen on the River Thames; Greenwich/Charlton; <br> Potter; Kendall; Holmes; Bright; Walker; Penny; Daniels; Buck; Rumble; Hind/s & Burt; Bobbins; Harding; Henderson, Sault; Juden;

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
The only SERJEANT (various spellings) I have is Thomas SARJEANT (SERJEANT?) b.abt 1804, London(?). He was transported to Australia in 1827.

On his 1878 Death Certificate, his parents are named as William SARGEANT, a postman, and Elizabeth CHAMBERS.

Anyone have them in their tree?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 01:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Les,
Our SARGENTs since Daniel b.1755 have all been Watermen & Lightermen, Shipwrights & Pilots on the River Thames and a few went on to be Master Mariners. Most have worked on the River in some capacity until the present day  -  you will find Sargent Bros. near the Thames Barrier... in fact their premises had to be moved to make way for the barrier to be built.
One of our Sargents worked on the Prison Hulk at Woolwich for a while and I have been going through my notes to try to find which one... I think it was Thomas Sargent b.20th Oct 1792 Woolwich. He began work with his father Daniel at the Woolwich Ropery.
We know from the Pay Books at Kew that Thomas had been in full time employment for 6d a day in 1805 at the age of 12, at the Rope Yard in Woolwich. Records for Woolwich Rope Yard show that Thomas Sargent was employed as a `Boy` in 1805, working alongside older brother, Robert and their father Daniel Sargent.
Thomas Sargent, at 13 years of age was paid £5.12.6 (5 pounds 12 shillings and 6 pence) for the Lady Quarter of 1806. He could expect to earn approximately £25.00 per annum. As a tradesman Thomas was in an enviable position compared with the casual Dockers who endured harsh conditions.
By the time of the 1841 Census Thomas was 48 employed as a Shipwright at Woolwich Dockyard.
Thomas` wife Elizabeth died on Wednesday July 16th 1845 and with the help of his married sisters, Elizabeth Greenbank and Grace Allen, Thomas continued to provide for his family at their home on Ship Stairs at Woolwich.
I think it was around this time that Thomas worked on the Prison Hulk, but I can't find the evidence at the moment! Urghh!
See attached image... The only known photograph of the convict hulks at Woolwich shortly before their removal in 1856. Hulks were established at Woolwich and other ports in the 1770s to accommodate the burgeoning prison population. Prisoners either served their time on the hulks or waited to be transported to Botany Bay in Australia.   One such hulk at Woolwich in 1847 was called the `Justitia Hulk` see The Black(& White) Sheep Index:  www.lightage.demon.co.uk/index.htm 
Another website with more detailed information of the Prison Hulks (and extensive information on Ship Wrecks, Passenger Lists etc.) is The Ships List... www.theshipslist.com   
The Hulks were hotbeds of vice, corruption and brutality throughout their use. In England, hulks were maintained at Portsmouth, Gosport, Devonport, Chatham, Woolwich and Deptford. 
The vessel on the River Thames at Woolwich was named The Warrior and was rated to hold 600 men. Of those, 124 were disposed on the top deck; 192 on the Middle and 284 on the Lower deck. Beneath the Lower Deck was the hold, a large unoccupied space, divided into store-rooms and divided by a passage. 
The discipline and employment of the convicts was as follows: A Book of Names was kept by an Overseer.
On the first Sunday of every Quarter the prisoners were mustered and the behaviour of each, for the previous 3 months, marked against his name as follows: `vg` very good; `g` good; `in` indifferent; `b` bad; `vb` very bad.
The convicts were not allowed to mix with other classes and character reports determined the duration of his period of probation. 
In cases of insubordination and misconduct, `mild and persuasive` methods of punishment were resorted to: there was a reduction in provisions; confinement in the `dark cell`, with only bread and water, for 7 days; the confiscation of all earnings and a `moderate` flogging of no more than 24 lashes. The Overseer, or the Commanding Officer of the hulk, was required to make a note in the occurrence-book of the name of the convict, the name of the complainant, the nature of the crime and the punishment inflicted. No convict was allowed to move freely without irons on one, or both, legs.   
Daily routine began at 5am - periods of labour were from between 8 ½ to 9 ½ hours per day, depending upon the season.
All Hands called by the Officer of the Watch to dress and lash hammocks, pass through the forecastle, in regulated numbers, to wash in permanently-fixed troughs. Breakfast was served and plates washed by two prisoners. A thorough cleansing of the ship then took place. At 7.30am a General Muster was taken and All Hands were summoned to labour in the Woolwich Dockyard...  Read more on www.the shipslist.com
FredLeighton; Hutchins; Bond; Dobbs; Colmer; Jacob; Padfield; Allen; Churchill; Bennett; Boast; Boyens Starkey; Calvert; <br> Hoskins; Sargent; Lightermen & Watermen on the River Thames; Greenwich/Charlton; <br> Potter; Kendall; Holmes; Bright; Walker; Penny; Daniels; Buck; Rumble; Hind/s & Burt; Bobbins; Harding; Henderson, Sault; Juden;

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 09 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks "Potter" for that very informative reply on prison hulks. Although I haven't found any documentation that my Thomas SARJEANT was aboard a prison hulk, there is always that possibility?

However, what also interested me was your first paragraph relating to your SARGENTS being involved with the water.  The convict records for my Thomas SARJEANT indicate his calling as "painter', his description includes his tatoos; Westbrook Woman (whatever that is?), M.E.W. (initials?), Crucifix Man, Crucifix, Mermaid, Seaman, Woman and Sun.

You would presume these tattoos could be found on someone conacted with the water?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
Les, you said in your first post that Thomas SARJEANT's parents are named as William SARGEANT, a postman, and Elizabeth CHAMBERS... sorry he does not connect to our SARGENTS of Woolwich & Charlton in SE London.
As we have looked through the Parish Records, we have noticed another two Sargent Families (one of shopkeepers & the other more upmarket in the legal profession)  - that's just in the Woolwich area, so it seems the name is not that uncommon.   

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 02:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Potter. I wasn't over confident, but if one doesn't inquire, one will never know  :D

Les

Offline er indoors

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 09 23:05 BST (UK) »
I can get a bit closer to Ipswich  John Sargent born c1639 Bury Suffolk married Rose Froman 9th June 1664 St James Bury (which is Bury St Edmunds)
Our connection is their daughter Mary born 1700 married Thomas Talbot 5th April 1722
also St Peters Bury St Edmunds they lived Stanningfield.
John and Rose's other children were Ann 1668 John 1672 Eliz 1675 Abigale 1677 Alice 1681
The Talbot's in Stanningfield had connections in Ipswich one of the family married and moved there,

Offline martinserjeant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi we are Serjeants living in pakenham, family from Ipswich where they were builders. Some of the family came from Lavenham where the were Taylor's and wool merchants

Martin Serjeant