Author Topic: MITCHELL - Hastings  (Read 10749 times)

Offline Claire Bear

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MITCHELL - Hastings
« on: Wednesday 02 February 05 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, anyone got any info on a fishing family in Hastings called Mitchell?  I know they lived in behind the Star in the East in Rock-a-Nore Road at the end of the 1800s.  Particually I am looking at Charley Mitchell (1867) who married Lily (1877) and had children including my grandmother Mary Ann(1902) and Rose(1904).  Does anyone know Lily's maiden name, she came from Bermondsey originally I think and I can find either Lily Ford, Rapkins or Schofield born at the right time but that is where I get stuck.  Any info on the Mitchell family before or after this would be very interesting.
Many thanks,
Claire
Nicholson in Durham, Geal in Kent and Mitchell in Hastings

Offline Clazy2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MITCHELL - Hastings
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire
I have found them in 1901 Census. They were visitors in Bexhill on Census night anyway:

Charlie Mitchell 33  Hastings, Sussex, England Visitor  Bexhill  Sussex   
 Lily Mitchell 24  Bermondsey, London, England Visitor  Bexhill  Sussex   
 Lily Mitchell 2  Hastings, Sussex, England Visitor  Bexhill  Sussex   
 Ernest Murrell 11  Eastbourne, Sussex, England Son  Bexhill  Sussex   
 James Murrell 40  Peasmarsh, Sussex, England Head  Bexhill  Sussex 
I've included the last 2 as James was head of house.
They were living at 30, Reginald Road.in the St.Barnabas parish of Bexhill.

1871 Census when Charlie was a small boy:

Alice Mitchell 1  Hastings, Sussex, England Daughter  All Saints  Sussex   
 Charles Mitchell 3  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 Elizabeth Mitchell 13  Hastings, Sussex, England Daughter  All Saints  Sussex   
 George W Mitchell 19  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 Henry Mitchell 51  Hastings, Sussex, England Head  All Saints  Sussex   
 Henry Mitchell 27  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 James S Mitchell 9  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 John F Mitchell 11  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 Mary A Mitchell 46  Hastings, Sussex, England Wife  All Saints  Sussex   
 Mary A Mitchell 25  Hastings, Sussex, England Daughter  All Saints  Sussex   
 Robert E Mitchell 8  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 Thomas A Mitchell 5  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex   
 William Mitchell 16  Hastings, Sussex, England Son  All Saints  Sussex 

Rather alot of them!They were living in Bourne Walk Cottage and occupation of father was Fisherman.

1891 Census they were living at 10 St. .Johns Walk
Father and Mother with Robert, Thomas and Charles all fishermen.

However there was one in Brighton Dec.1899 when a Charles Mitchell married a Lilly Rowe(correct spelling of Lilly). I couldn't find any Hastings weddings but if it was a London wedding there were too many to look at without knowing the borough.

Hope this helps. My family wre also Hastings Fishermen Adams, so I do have earlier censuses.Obviously Charlie won't be on them but let me know if you want a check.
Regards
Gill (Clazy2000)

Adams;Clackson;Cottle;Dunk;Gwatkin;Woodcock

Offline Claire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 18:06 GMT (UK) »
thanks, that's really interesting.  My mum did tell me that his name was Charley or Charlie rather than Charles but that could just be what he called himself I suppose, maybe as a baby he was named Charles, I'd have to check a birth certificate for that.  Thanks for your help though, I think I might be getting hooked on this!

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire

Yes, Charlie is short for Charles, Bill for William, Harry for Henry, Lizzie/Betsy for Elizabeth, Jim for James, Jack for John and load loads more .............

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Claire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh I wasn't being thick, I realise that Charley is short for Charles but my mum was very specific that his name was Charley or Charlie rather than Charles she had always been told that that was his given name....but maybe it was just the name he chose to use and so filled in the census forms as an adult using Charley....maybe he was a bit of a rebel...or a bit of a charley :)

Offline Clazy2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire
Gill here again.
 You can't always believe what people have told you. My great gran who I knew as Rosina had no less than four variations on this, something different every census. I think (as you said)it was dependent on whoever was giving the information to the census enumerator. She was Rose when she was 3, Rosina at 13, Rosaline at 23 (and when she got married)and then back to Rosina.
That is why when I check the censuses and I can't find it under one thing I've learnt to think what else could he/she have been entered in as. Its more difficult when they suddenly decide to use a middle name or when the census enumerator completely muck-ups a surname!
It may be that Charlie's Mum thought he should be entered as Charles(posher than Charlie) and as soon as he was old enough to enter his own details he decided it was what he was known as. I also checked 'Chas' as sometimes an enumerator will use an abbreviation and it gets copied as that and completely throws it.
Hope this has been useful.
Regards
Gill (Clazy2000)

Offline Claire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 05 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gill, it's confusing but very interesting.  I think I might have to pop down to Hastings one weekend and have a mooch around, it'll be far more interesting to see it with what I've found out so far about where the family lived, thanks for that.  I might even recognise a few names in the fishermans museum!

Offline Clazy2000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 05 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire
You remember me saying I was researching Adams family (Fishermen) well I have a book by Steve Peak 'The Fishermen of Hastings' and there is a mention of Charles Mitchell in this and its in relation to the death of one of my ancestors a Robert Adams. Basically during the 1891 Great Blizzard two boats and three lives were lost. Robert Adams drowned off the pier rocks and it is reported that his body was found the next day at St.Leonards by his friend Charles Mitchell. Charlie would have been 23 years old then, Robert Adams was 25 so it is likely that it is the correct people. Other references to Mitchells in this book are for later 20th century events except that the fishermen all had nicknames and Mitchell's one was Quiddy, so Charlie would have been Charlie 'Quiddy'Mitchell.
Just thought you might be interested.
Best Wishes
Gill

Offline Claire Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 05 19:02 GMT (UK) »
oh right, that explains something else then, I've heard of Quiddy Mitchell but assumed that was the nickname of one person not the whole gang of them!  Good job you're here, thanks for all your help and for the story...must get a copy of that book sometime :)