Author Topic: James Duncan of Benmore & Mary Moubray family  (Read 10966 times)

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Duncan of Benmore & Mary Moubray family
« on: Friday 24 October 08 16:27 BST (UK) »
Researching sugar refiner James Duncan of Benmore (owner of Benmore House 1870-1890) and his sister Mary Moubray of Strone House, Strone.  Anyone any knowledge?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: James Duncan of Benmore & Mary Moubray family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 08 09:51 BST (UK) »
hi annie  :)

it seems james duncan went bankrupt in 1886 and the younger family
aquired benmore house in 1889
about 1862 the greenock firm of duncan, bell & scott built clyde wharf
refinery
james duncan(1834 - 1905) became sole owner and made a lot of money before being forced into bankruptcy by forgeign competition in 1886
mary duncan married john mitchell moubray 17th april 1855 govan lanark
they had at least one son john mitchell moubray(1856 - 1928 ?)
cant see a death for mary in scotland but a possibility is mary moubray
3rd quarter 1913 age 81 eastbourne sussex(free BMD)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 October 08 10:20 BST (UK) »
annie

possible parents of james and mary are
james duncan and mary dalglish(married 1829 barony lanark ?)
no more children after 1840 and on 1841 census mary duncan(dalglish) is
listed as independent with 5 children living mosesfield barony lanark

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  My husband is preparing from art historical articles for publication about James Duncan.  I have done extensive research on Scotland's People and built a picture of the whole Duncan family tree from 1800 to 1910.  What I was hoping was (a) that there might be people in the local Benmore area whose forefathers were linked to the estate, ie who worked for Duncan or who visited Duncan's picture gallery in the 1880s and (b) that I might come across Duncan descendants.  james Duncan didn't have any children but one sister Mary Moubray who lived at Strone House in Strone had one son John who married and had three kids - son John and two daughters Elizabeth and Blanche.  Descendents of these children (I don't know which) went to Rhodesia (as it was then).  I heard that Moubray descendents had returned to Strone house about 4-5 years ago to see it and are now based in the UK but I don't know where.  Another of James Duncan's sister Clementina married a Lasalle and moved to France.  I don't know if she had any children.  Another sister Janet might have had family. and his only brother George (d 1880) had a daughter Mary Dalglish Duncan.  So, really hoping for stories about Duncan and Benmore 1870 to 1890 and to make contact with his descendents.

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant to say that Duncan did not go bankrupt.  This has been a wrong assumption which unfortunately gets repeated.  As a result of cheap German sugar flooding the markets he had to sell off his assets including Benmore.  He is not listed anywhere as a bankrupt.  He paid off all his bills and continued to run a small sugar refinery business until he retired after which he spent some time of the year in Scotland (visiting his sister Mary Moubray in Strone) and winter months in Italy.

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 October 08 13:19 BST (UK) »
And finally thanks for the death date of 1913 Eastbourne for Mary Moubray.  I think this is most certainly Mary Mourbray (nee Duncan) as her brother had a house in Hove until 1905.

Offline Fernery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 March 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in your research on James Duncan of Benmore. I am currently producing a short educational film for the Royal Botanic Gardens who manage the garden at Benmore. We are looking for any photographs of the Fernery at Benmore when it was still in use ( around 1880's - 1890's) I would be very grateful if you could give me any tips on where to look or who to contact. do you know of any familieis that might have visited and who might still have family albums??

kind regards

Offline BanffAnnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 March 09 19:21 GMT (UK) »
My husband art historian Dr Andrew Macdonald Watson has undertaken extensive research on James Duncan as a significant (and until now forgotten) collector of significant works of art (many of which now hang in the world's most famous galleries) for articles he has written in national art journals and a lecture (and catalogue entries) for the Scottish Impressionists exhibition at the National Galleries of Scotland last summer. Andrew discovered that Duncan as the first Scottish collector of an Impressionist work - Renoir's Bay of Naples - and as a result, the painting was lent to NGS by the Met in new York (where it now lives) as part of last summer's exhibition.  While Andrew's research has been centred on his art collection (uncovering what was housed in his Benmore picture Gallery, the lack of primary source material has meant years of meticulous research) I am sorry to say we have not come across any photographs of Benmore (house, picture gallery or fernery) taking during Duncan's time.  If you do, please let me know.  We would also be interested to keep in touch with your work for the Botanics - we are based in Edinburgh.

Offline Fernery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 09 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi I think you may have responded to my request on Benmore fernery but I don't seem to be able to access you reply. Sorry about this it is the first time I have used this site. Please could you post it again - and any tips on how to navigaye to replys!

many thanks