Author Topic: Ferguson. .Parish of Kincardine..near Doune  (Read 15957 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Ferguson. .Parish of Kincardine..near Doune
« on: Friday 24 October 08 23:19 BST (UK) »

I am descended from the Fergusons of the Parish of Kincardine. One of the 'Moss Lairds' who came south from Balquhidder to take part in the clearing of Kincardine Moss.
On the 1841 census, my ancestor, Peter Ferguson is shown as a farmer at Robertson Lane.
He was born on 18th January, 1801 and was the son of Donald and Murran.
Peter had siblings called Janet (b1792) Robert (b1795) Mary ( b1797) Catherine (b1798) John (b1803) Alexander (b1805) and Donald (b1807)

The 1814 census carried out by Blairdrummond Estates show a 12 year old Peter living with a Donald and Catherine Ferguson in the area of 'Hill of Drip'. I will assume that Catherine is Donald's scond wife.

Donald and his family vanish after 1814 but by chance I came across the passenger list fir the Brig 'Sophia' sailing from Greenock in 1818 and there they were, Donald (Daniel) and family on their way to Canada.  At least I think it's them, or at least some of them. You can see the ships list Here
 But I'm stuck after that although I would like to know what they did and where they went after they got there.
My ancestor Peter, married Ann McNaughtan on 24th November 1824.
Anyone wants more info on that family, then just get in touch.

Robertson Lane Farm

Robertson Lane Farm with the old 'Moss' School in the right background.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson. .Parish of Kincardine..near Doune
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I havent done much work on the Fergusons on my tree but I have some in the right geographical area! I also have many many other ancestors on the Moss - McFarlane, Dow, McCall, Stewart, Macfarlane, Robertson, King, Fisher, etc
Anyway your post caught my eye because I have some of the same names ... and we may have a connection somewhere! I have Alexander Ferguson born 1801 who married Janet Fisher from Killin in Kincardine in Menteith in 1839. Children Peter James and Isabella. My link is through Isabella. There may have been more children. They were in Doune main St in 1841 and by 1851 in Sommers lane on the moss. Isabel moved to Rossburn lane and was living in Kirk Lane by the time she died. Have you come across this family? Cheers
Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val.
Been having a look at my lot to see if there was any connection to your Fergusons, but can't find a link.

Not yet anyway.....

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline mojoh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Val, I'm new to this site after searching for Kirk Lane on Google! My Gran was called Isabella Macfarlane Rutherford nee McCall.She was born in Kirk lane  in 1912/13 & her mother died when she was an infant.I remember Gran mentioning a Helen Dow & I think she was a cousin.Gran lived on Sommer Lane after marrying Robert Rutherford a local gamekeeper But returned to Kirk Lane after He was killed in the war.Her sister Jessie married Bill Morrison & they also lived on Kirk Lane In one of the cottages as you turn onto the lane.
 i am pretty sure we are related in some way! I'm wondering if the old lady in your photo is my Gran's relative on her mother's side.
  Regards, Morag

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 09 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi!
I am sure we must have a connection.... what was your gran's father's name?
Will pm you..
Val
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 March 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi There!
Have you been able to confirm that your Fergusons of the Parish of Kincardine originate in Balquhidder? I'm not related, my interest is as administrator of the Fergus(s)on DNA Project http://dna.cfsna.net/
Cheers,
Colin Ferguson
Clan Fergusson Society of North America

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 March 10 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin.

Yes.

Cheers.

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 March 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Fergie of Torbrex .... a whilie back noo !

Nice PC type photo of Kincardine Parish Church which is linked to Gargunnock Parish Church where I was an Elder until 2000 when I emigrated to Cyprus ... I made my one and only appearance as Santa Claus for a Sunday School party there in the 1990s in the village hall down left of the photo at the 'V' junction to Thornhill.
Cheers'
John aka DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline bniq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new to family tree searching so sorry if this reads a little strange.
I think I have found a John Ferguson in Kincardine, Doune, who married an Isobella Stewart.   They had 4 children,
Mary Ann b. 1826
Margaret Stewart b. 1828
Henrietta b. 1831
Walter Stewart b.1835
Might these be part of your Fergusons of Kincardine?
Thanks