Author Topic: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary  (Read 40796 times)

Offline hub1525

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alleyne of Golden, Tipperary
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 18 March 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robertscott

I have Alleyne ancestors and was interested to see your post.

You say that Ellinor youngest daughter of Samuel Alleyne and nee Pennefather married Daniel Ryan b. 1736 and d. 1782

As it appears from the post by Anthony M J that the Alleyne/Pennefather marriage was "definitely 1763" so if Ellenor was the youngest daughter it appears that she would have been incredibly young when she married if all of the dates are correct. 

Do you have a date for the marriage?
Hubber, Howse, Lawler

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 18 March 12 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hub1525, You may have misread my Post or else I have misunderstood you. Samuel Alleyne's mother was a Pennefather, not his wife. Also, I think it is Ellinor Alleyne who died in 1782 and who is buried at Ballintemple.

Also, because these families recycled names, you can get the same names appearing in every generation. Intermarriage between the same families, including cousins, was quite common.

I don't have a marriage date.

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 18 March 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Lucy Ryan (sister of Daniel Ryan above)  married J. Alleyne of Golden

Children:

Helen Alleyne

Samuel Alleyne

William Alleyne married his cousin Ellinor, daughter of John Ryan and had children.

Sorry, I have no dates.

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 18 March 12 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Some confusion over the Alleyne/Pennefather Marriage.  Marriage articles dated 19 Feb. 1763, MLB index also gives 1763 as the year.  Son was Samuel Richard, only 2 daus. that  know of,Charity who m. Michael Greene,1790 and S of Parfone Co. Meath in 1794.   Never came across any Elinor but date 1782  for death of Pennefather mother seems right.  Samuel m. again in 1796 to Belinda Johnston, a widow.  Came across a couple of Alleyne/Ryan deeds in the Registry dated 1761 and 1769.
Limerick Evening Post,Wed. 28 Feb. 1816 M. by the rev. W.E, Lloyd at Golden Church, James Fogarty Esq. Jun. of Cabra Castle to Miss Alleyne dau. of the late John Alkeyne Esq. of Golden.  (Her name was Mary Anne, the Miss  implies she wasa eldest Dau.)

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 18 March 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
We might be talking about two different Alleyne/Pennefather marriages or with Ellinor being the youngest daughter she might not have featured in earlier records. Perhaps the Alleyne/Ryan deeds might shed a bit more light. How do I obtain copies of the deeds?

Offline Anthony MJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 19 March 12 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, can't find any trace of another Alleyne/Pennefather marriagge.  As a rule these gentry families were careful to register their marriage settlements.  I see a William Ryan of Ballymackeogh (big Tipp. landowners, your Ryans I'm sure) m. Anne Pennefather in 1814.  If you want photostats of the original Alleyne/Ryan deeds I mentioned here's what you must do.  E-mail rodquery "at" prai.ie, put Copy Memorial - Att. Philomena Brant in Subject Box and tell her you want copies of 292-362-190908 dated 16 july 1769 and 367-71-245901 dated 10 jan.1785.  These are property deeds so probably not of much genealogical interest.The Alleyne/Pennefather marriage articles are voluminous and take up 2 documents.  Much info. there  Nos. are 223-618-150481 and 150482.
They charge 20 euros for each copy (inc. postage) so have your credit card handy.

Offline robertscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 19 March 12 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anthony for the information on the Alleyne/Ryan deeds. I'll definitely chase them up but I have 3 trips planned in the next 3 months so it will have to wait until they are out of the way and I have some spare cash.

Offline Anthonyfromcork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 18 November 13 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Stories of lost estates and crooked solicitors always have a certain charm.  I refer of course to the Samuel Alleyne family of Waterford.  Here are such facts as I have been able to discover.
The story begins with the lease of 500 acres Irish Plantation Measure at Coolprevane by Walter Atkins to John Alleyne.  The lease was dated 14 April 1779 and was for a period of three lives of Samuel  and William AlleyneAlleyne, John Alleyne.  The estate passed to John's son Samuel.  He was the last of the 3 lives when he died in 1841.  His widow Ellen (Scully) Alleyne renewed the lease with Gertrude Atkins in 1842 and Ellen in 1846 assigned the  estate to her nephew Samuel William who in 1860 was married to Honoria Cowan.  Now the plot thickens.  In 1864 a Marriage Settlement was drawn up, Apparently at the insistence of Joseph Henry Cowen Hoichnoria's father, by whch Samuel was to get £2000 Fortune (i.e. Dowry) from the Cowen family and the lands of Coolprevane were to be handed over to trustees to guarantee Honoria's future.  The trustees were Walter Richard Butler of Clondalkin and Edward Michael Duffy of Hardwick St. Dublin, Solicitor.
In Feb. 1865 Cowen Sen. sued Samuel in the Court of Common Pleas for -noncompliance with the terms of the settlement.  Samuel lost and headed for the U.S. as we know. 
In April1872 the lands of Coolprevane in the Barony of Iffa and Offa were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, the vendor being, not Samuel as you might expect, but Edward Michael Duffy, one of the trustees of the Marriage Settlement, and William Henry Alleyne, a minor (eldest son of Samuel's first marriage). The purchasers were the Russells, former tenants.
Well, that's the story.  Whether Duffy was really a crook or simply acting in the best interests of his client (Cowen) must be for Samuel's descendants to decide

Offline kiwi jeanie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 05:29 BST (UK) »
Hi - just wondering if anyone is following this still. I'm not sure if it is the same family but possibly ...
my Alleynes are from Tipperary (not Golden as far as I know but perhaps fortunes changed being the youngest son). They all married RC's but I haven't been able to find their baptisms so perhaps they are COI. My family that I know of consist of siblings Paul, John and Katherine - they have children William, John, Frances, Ellen. Paul has his father as William and mother Quirk - there seems to be a bit of overlap here maybe .. Paul emigrated to South Australia in the 1850's and ended up in Melbourne.  ::)
BRADBURY - Nottingham
ROBERT RICE - New Zealand
ELIZA COMFORT YATES - Staffordshire, England
MACKELLAR - Scotland
FREEMAN - England
LEE - Nottingham
HINTON - Nottingham
HUTCHINSON - Nottingham
GRANT - Wick, Scotland
FRASER - Wick, Scotland
HALL - Knocknaveigh, Cavan, Ireland
ALLEN/ALLAN - Tipperary, Ireland