Author Topic: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA  (Read 20316 times)

Offline Jaap Woortman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 652 AOP Squadron RAF * RA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 January 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
I am glad that I have found this forum. I am looking for experts on AOP Squadrons RAF.
The Dutch Studygroup Airwar 1939-1945 is working on a publication about the history of the Dutch airfields during WWII. Part of this study are the ALGs used by the AOP Squadrons of the RAF. I have studied the ORBs of these units in the NA at Kew. At this moment we are preparing a map with the ALGs used by these Squadrons. The ORBs are a big help. But of one of the Squadrons, 660 (AOP) Sqn. RAF, the ORB was not complete when I studied them about 9 years ago. Form 540 of March, April and May 1945 were not present. The Flights of this unit were supporting the advance of 2nd and 3rd Can. Inf. Divisions in the Northern part of the Netherlands. Who can help me withe names or locations of the ALGs used by the Flights of this Squadron in the final three months of WWII?

Jaap Woortman

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 January 09 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaap,
i was only in 652 from it's fomation in 1942 then went on the advance party on D Day then I went  over the Benouville Bridge to 6th airborne base as a loaned sigs operator for 2 weeks then back to Plumeto then on Aug 15th left the unit and was flown back to uk to hospital for operation.
My school friend who was in it as well went all the way to Germany with them but unfortunately died a couple of years ago, If I known about the book that Kyt recomended and I recieved on 25 Dec. I would have been more informed.
Bob T.
Bargh,Greaves. Bradley.Butler,Thomason Thirsk Taylor.Wall Thomas Massey Green

Offline Flakdodger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bo.... Odd eyes - odd brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 January 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jaap,
welcome to Rootschat and happy new year.
Jefford's RAF Squadrons has 660 at Berg en Dal on 04 March 45 -later in March to Kleve - in April at Vermeppen and going to Evere (B56) in June.
Next time you are at Kew, AIR10/3962 (Location of Units in the Royal Air Force Jan. 1945-June 1945 Issue 52-57) might be worth checking.
I like your avatar..keeping up the traditions of the KLu.
Dave
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap

Offline Jaap Woortman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 January 09 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaap,
...If I known about the book that Kyt recomended and I recieved on 25 Dec. I would have been more informed.
Bob T.

Bob,

Thanks for your answer. I have found in the last 20 years the following publications about AOP during WWII. I will mention it here because they could also be of interest for other people.
The first one I have as a copy and the second one I have as a book.

- Maj. Adrew Lyell, DFC, CdeG, RA. Memoirs of An Air Observation Post Officer. Chippenham. 1985.
- H.J.Parham and E.M.G. Belfield. Unarmed into Battle. Chippenham. 1986.
- Battle History 666 1945. Republished by Abel Book Company, Calgary, 2006 - a 37-page history endorsed by Major A.B. Stewart.
- Canada's Flying Gunners: A History of the Air Observation Post of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery Lt.-Col. D.L. Fromow (Ottawa: Air O.P. Pilots Association, 2002)
- Where The Hell Are The Guns? George Blackburn, MC (Toronto: McClelland & Stewart, 1997).

Dave,

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Jefford's work.
I have Halley's The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force, but also am familiar with Jefford.
They both have mentioned the locations of the HQ Flights. I have checked it with the ORBs of the units.
Will check Air 10/3962, have missed that one. Good point! Thanks.

Jaap

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 January 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jaap
H.J.Parham and E.M.G. Belfield. Unarmed into Battle. Chippenham. 1986.
is the book I now have.
I also knew personally  before the war Major Allan Newton But when he came to see us in Ayr I underestood he was CO of 651 and he he had Desert Rats Emblem. But not according to that book.
We were
652 "Cobley's Flying Circus"
Cheers Bob T.

Offline SixtiesSurvivor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'd love to find out more about 652. My father, Billy Chadkirk, was an RA sargeant seconded to the squadron when it was formed at Old Sarum. He flew in to Plumetot on the 7th June 1944. I've read the squadron war diaries in the National Archives in Kew and recognised the details of some of the stories he told. He wa discharged at Aarnham in 1945. Unfortunately he died before I managed to get any coherent narrative from him.

Offline Bobsy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I do not recall that name.
652 was formed at RAF base moved to Westley nr Bury St Edmonds in Sept 42. I was posted there and it was the begining of a new experience as we were not allowed to drive the vehicles as they were RAF. With personel coming in everyday we got Army vehicles and equipment and were copleted as a unit. I was in the advance party that went in on D day we marched to Plumetot some one else was driving my vehicle. I was loaned to the RA bty with 6 th Airborne for two weeks as they lost there signalers. I came back to England in a Dakota from Beayeure to Swindon then to hospital Wolverhamton on 15 Aug 1944.
I will send a PM later.
Cheers Bob T.

Offline btx-alpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 January 10 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bob,
I found one of your old blog messages and it refers to  'Cobley's flying Circus'
I would love to know more about him if you knew him. R R Cobley that is.
He was my uncle and I have been doing some research on his war and post war exploits.
I have ordered the book 'unarmed  into battle' as a stating point for his war
environment but as I have no idea as to what is in it I dont know if he is mentioned.
If you knew him and have any photos I would be very happy to see them.  If it is  of any
interest to you I can tell you his post war history. It is somewhat amazing. There is a
museum built to immortalise his last action.
Even if it is not interesting to you please do let me know, however, anything
that you have got will be interesting to me
regards
Charles Cobley

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 January 10 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just looked at my RAF Sqns book and it says for 652 Sqn:
No. 652 was formed at Old Sarum on 1 May and went to Normandy with the 2nd army in June 1944, taking part in the campaign in France, the Low Countries and Germany for the rest of the war.  It remained in Germany as part of the occupation forces, later becoming a unit of the Army of the Rhine until absorbed by the Army Air Corp. 

Not much unfortunately but it might be worth contacting the AAC (I am sure they have a museum) for more details.

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor