Author Topic: James Duncan Forrest b12.03.1913 possibly in Calgary.  (Read 8484 times)

Offline Glenstrae McGregor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duncan Forrest b12.03.1913 possibly in Calgary.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I know this is not about your james but there may be a connection to this family with mine.  One of my GGGreat Uncles James Forrest was born in Tyrie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland 1834

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 02 June 12 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think you could be right about your GGGreat Uncle James Forrest having a link to my Forrests.   Tyrie seems to be only 20 miles (as the crow flies) from Ellon, where my Forrests come from and there are main roads connecting them.

I have got back to Robert Forrest bc1663 in Ellon, Aberdeenshire.   He had sons John baptised 03/12/1682 Ellon and George Bap. 18/12/1685 Ellon - there may be other siblongs, but those are the only ones I have found so far.

George had two sons that I know of:   George bap.30/08/1709 Ellon and Andrew bc1710.   Andrew is my direct line.

The name James doesn't seem to appear in my line until James S Forrest b07/06/1844 in Old Machar, Aberdeenshire.

Does any of this tie in with any of your Forrests?

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ISMacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Sorry this has nothing to do with James but I believe we share a g grandfather Robert Shaw Macmillan.

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 18 January 18 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

It is great to be in contact with a McMillan relative :)   How are you connected to Robert Shaw McMillan and how far back have you got with his family ???   

I know he was married to Agnes Harley and that his parents were Robert McMillan 1818-1882 and Jane/Janet Hamilton 1819-1889, both born and married in Belfast, Antrim, Ireland.   I believe Robert's father was James McMillan, but that is about as far as I can get - Irish records for this period don't seem to be available.

Do you know when Robert Shaw and wife Agnes died, as I have drawn a blank there as well ???

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline ISMacmillan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 19 January 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan, Irene Craig (nee Macmillan)here!
RS Macmillan was my paternal g grandfather, John Harley Macmillan grandfather and my father was George Harley Macmillan.  I presume RS and Agnes had other children otherwise we wouldn’t be chatting.  I had a DNA test and was told I had a 4th cousin in Canada.
I am just a beginner so don’t really have anything to add.  No idea when Robt or Agnes died and nothing on James. Irish records are practically non-existent.
Intriguing to note the change in the name from McMillan to Macmillan (although they still mean son of).  I wonder if this is an aspirational move away from the Irish preference.  Cheers, Irene

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 19 January 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Irene

Good to hear back from you.   I will send you a personal message.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire