Author Topic: James Duncan Forrest b12.03.1913 possibly in Calgary.  (Read 11172 times)

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duncan Forrest b12.03.1913 possibly in Calgary.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 October 08 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice

Thankyou for all those great websites.   I not only found my great uncle James (Jim) Simpson Forrest and his wife Isabel/Isabella at Mountainview Cemetery, but also my grandparents Robert and Elizabeth MacMillan.

I haven't, so far, managed to locate my Uncle Robert Shaw MacMillan and his wife Eileen.   I know their ashes were buried at a different Vancouver Cemetery, but I don't know which one.   Is there a separate website for cremations? 

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Forrest - Ellon Aberdeenshire, Govan Glasgow
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Jerrett - Devon, Lancashire
McMillan - Belfast Ireland, Govan Glasgow
MacMillan - Vancouver Canada
Thornley - Warwickshire
Wernham - Chieveley Berkshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 October 08 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Little wonder I couldn't find James Simpson Forrest on any passenger list.   I never thought to look at 'Forrester'.   It sounds as though he might have encouraged my grandparents to emigrate to Canada in 1913.

Many apologies Joan :-[

He was indeed listed as 'James Simpson Forrest'

That's OK.   I obviously didn't look hard enough when I tried to find him :-[

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 October 08 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Although I haven't been able to find your other relatives in Ross Bay Cemetery, I am sending you the link just in case there is someone listed that you recognize.

http://www.victoria.ca/archives/archives_vit.shtml

http://www.victoriags.org/links.htm

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janice

Thanks for those websites.   Might the reason that I can't find the deaths/burials of my uncle Robert Shaw MacMillan and his wife Eileen (nee Ford) be that they both died after 1985?   Robert around 1989 and Eileen around 2000.   I don't know how accessible recent records are.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Returning to the reason for my original post, is anyone able to help me find the parents of James Duncan Forrest b12.03.1913 and living in Calgary aged 4years, according to my grandmother's birthday book.   Was he perhaps the son of James Simpson Forrest or William J M Forrest (both born in Scotland and emigrated to Canada), or another member of the family I haven't yet discovered?

Thanks to the help I have received, I now know that he died in North Vancouver 28.05.1979.   Was he married and did he have any children?

Why wasn't I into tracing my roots whilst the family members who could have helped me were still around :(   I'm sure that is a feeling that is echoed by many of you too.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan - I can look up the death registration for you.  I should be able to get to the library tomorrow for the look up.

JJ actually pinged me about this post yesterday but I was too busy with work to reply - sorry!

Regards,
Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline SamnJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi LemonMallie

Thanks for your offer.   

I have the death record for James Duncan Forrest now, but am still missing my Uncle Robert Shaw MacMillan and his wife Eileen who died sometime after 1985.   My husband has been studying Vancouver maps for me and is wondeing if their ashes are buried at the Memorial Park South, off E41st St, near to Mountain View Cemetery.   Just a guess.

Joan
Adams - Berkshire
Bell - Berkshire
Hendry - Aberdeenshire
Thornley - Warwickshire

Offline LemonMallie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

The memorial park is actually part of Mountain View Cemetery.  Their online listing is not 100% complete so you could try emailing them at the general enquiries email here: http://vancouver.ca/COMMSVCS/NONMARKEtOPERATIONS/MOUNTAINVIEW/contact.htm.  They are quite good at answering enquiries and the bonus is that they have a database of headstone photos.  So if they are buried there, ask them for a photo.

My guess would be that if they died in Vancouver they were either cremated at Mountain View or Ocean View cemetery on the Vancouver/Burnaby city boundary.  These are the sites of the two main crematoriums in Vancouver and I think two of the largest cemeteries.  Mountain View is the main non-denominational cemetery in Vancouver but many Vancouverites were buried at Ocean View due to burial limits at Mountain View.  I have also had good luck with Ocean View staff looking up burials but I don't have an email address for them.  The other option is Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Burnaby.  They are operated by the same company as Ocean View but I've never had any dealings with them.  I'll try and call Ocean View and see what they say.

Of course, it is possible that they were not interned in a cemetery.  We are all a bit flakey out here on the West Coast so it is possible they asked for their ashes to be spread in the mountains or the sea!

Lynwen
Malandain/Mallandain/Mallandaine/Malllindine - anywhere and everywhere
Corson/Causon - Gloucestershire
Nicholas - Pembrokeshire
Clark - Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I have the death record for James Duncan Forrest now
someone did the lookup through the death records already.... what were his parents names, then...?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com