Author Topic: McMahon family  (Read 9502 times)

Offline Corky44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McMahon family
« on: Sunday 26 October 08 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge of the McMahon family from Carnaross in County Meath?  My gg Grandfather was Patrick McMahon, born in Carnaross in 1833.  I believe he had an older brother, Hugh born in 1831 and a younger brother Anthony born in 1837.  Their mother was Rose, not sure of her maiden name.  I have been unable to find out the first name of Patrick's father, I believe he died round the time of the potato famine. 

Ireland, Lancashire and Cheshire: McMahon, McKeown, Howard, Pennington
Ireland: Mackin
Ireland: McManamon,
Ireland and Lancashire: Kelly
Ireland: Bell
Gloucestershire: Elliott

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMahon family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 12 02:53 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if you still monitor this board, but the McMahon family you mention I believe is my family? My great grandmother was Mary McMahon, married to Patrick Lynch and they lived near Carnaross, Meath, as well as in Cavan. My great grandmother, Mary, was born to Laurence McMahon and Bridget Dolan, and they lived at Carriga, Kells Lower, Meath. However, Laurence was born to James McMahon, and I believe his mother was Rose Clarke. That, I am unable to prove.

I recently had a preliminary genealogy study done and it shows McMahons registered in Moynalty, and my family, who lived at Carriga, also spelled Carrigagh. Later, they moved to Corragloon.

I am hopeful that you get this message. I think the information we both have may be helpful to one another!

Patti
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline Corky44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I am really struggling to find information on my McMahon relatives from the Carnaross area.  I know my GG Grandfather Patrick was born in 1833 and up until recently, I thought he had two brothers, Hugh and Anthony.  I have since found out he had a sister Mary, looks like she was born at some point between 1838  and 1841.  I am hoping to update my family tree over the next few weeks so will let you know what I find.

Liz
Ireland, Lancashire and Cheshire: McMahon, McKeown, Howard, Pennington
Ireland: Mackin
Ireland: McManamon,
Ireland and Lancashire: Kelly
Ireland: Bell
Gloucestershire: Elliott

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 19:13 GMT (UK) »
What other names are associated with your McMahon family? There is a really good website that you should check out since it lists nearly all of the McMahons born in Meath during the time frame you mention.

Here's the link:
http://www.peterspioneers.com/mcmahongenealogy.pdf

This site helped me find the origin of my family and track down the names of my great grandmother's siblings. We originally thought she only had 10 siblings, but it turned out her mom had 19 children, and 16 survived. However, I am now struggling to find connections to them beyond the 1900s since nearly all of her siblings and earlier generations immigrated elsewhere by the early 1900s.

Do you know the name of your gg grandmother? If so, it should help you narrow results down considerably.

If you find her name, please let me know since there is a possibility that you could be a distant relative if mine given that your family lived at Carnaross. You might want to check the 1901 or 1911 Irish Census online, as that might provide some clues. You can look at all Patrick McMahons in Carnaross or the names of his children. If you know the name of the townland they lived at you can further narrow down the results, assuming you haven't already checked it out?

Here's the link:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline samiam28714

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information about the remaining family of Archibald McMahon (McMahan). He was born in Meath in 1731. He went to the US (Virginia) and was married to Ann McNulty. He was the son of Robert MacMahon (possibly spelled Robbert) who was born in 1706 Claire Monaghan.

Offline mmr071997

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 14 01:34 BST (UK) »
I too descend from Archibald.  I have discovered that we appear to descend from the Oreil McMahan sept that originated in County Monaghan and then moved to County Meath not Clare.  Robert and Catherine both appear to be from Meath and married there and Archibald as born there.  Have you been able to find anything else out about their ancestors?

Offline Missy0528

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Archibald McMahon was my 5th great grandfather. I am trying to find out more information on him. If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it. I will do my best to be of help to anyone.

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 July 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
Wondering if you have any information on my wife's Great grandmother Margaret Mary McMahon. She was born in Drumconrath, Meath (according to records) in 1869 to James Joseph McMahon and Mary Meade. She was in Manchester England in 1901
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 July 22 12:29 BST (UK) »
Wondering if you have any information on my wife's Great grandmother Margaret Mary McMahon. She was born in Drumconrath, Meath (according to records) in 1869 to James Joseph McMahon and Mary Meade.

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03384/2240966.pdf

James Joseph McMahon a farmer living at Balrath Cottage.
https://www.townlands.ie/meath/duleek-lower/balrath/kentstown/balrath/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo