Author Topic: Unknown soldier  (Read 3530 times)

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown soldier
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 October 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken

I dont know the gentlemans name unfortunately.   The photo was found amongst my grandmothers collection in 1999. 

The major surnames are, Terrell, Neil, Morris(convict), Mitchell(convict),Wagstaff.  William Wagstsff was from the 51st Regiment later the 51st Foot 2nd Yorkshire West Riding Light Infantry Regiment, he died in 1880, in Western Australia.  He had a son, John Wagstaff who was born in Western Australia 1845. 

The other army photo's I have are all from 1st and 2nd WW's. 

Thaks
Kish

Terrell, Mitchell, Morris and Wagstaff

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 November 08 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken
Question?  Could an Australia gone to England and joined this regiment?  I have 2 possibles that I cant find death certificates in Western Australia, they were brothers, Charles Morris and Alfred Morris, born around 1852 and 1860 respectfully.  Their grandfather William Wagstaff was in the 51st westriding regiment from England, so they may have joined the British army.

Kish

Offline kishtu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 March 15 07:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello to all who had a hand in helping me find out who this is.  I think it is my 5th great grandfather, John Wagstaff, the brother of William Wagstaff, who was part of the 51st Rigiment of foot, which came to Western Australia in 1829. He retired in Toodyay WA in 1837.