Author Topic: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries  (Read 40985 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« on: Tuesday 28 October 08 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Greenbrae Loaning until I was fourteen years old and have long been curious about its history. Can anyone enlighten me about its past ?. thanks stoop.

Offline eccles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbrae Loaning Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I can't help you with the history, but perhaps you can help me. I'm just writing up my family history notes & my grandmother lived at 4 Lindsay Place, and 'Bethal Cottage', Greenbrae Loaning from 1891 - 99.  My sister says it was a row of low cottages (in 2004)
Do you know it?

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eccles, I indeed know number 4 I lived there until Iwas fourteen. My grandmother lived next door at number 3, the cottages were named Lindsay Place. The cottages were described as but and ben, that is they comprised of a front room and a rear room. They were joined together but Ido recall my father constructing a doorwaythrough the middle wall, this enabled my grandmother access without her having to go outside. From the Loaning we had to climb three wide steps to the front doors .The sandstone walls were very thick as I can remember sitting on the window sill. Today I believe they are used as holiday homes. I will be very pleased to tell you more if you are interested, particularly about my memories of the Loaning, regards stoop.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stoop and Eccles,

Sorry to intrude but I can also add to the residency of 4 Lindsay Place, Greenbrae.  In fact with the very helpful reocrds kept at the Ewart Library in Dumfries I was able to trace exactly what year my paternal ancestors lived there. 

Quite a coincidence for two rootschatters to have lived in same place, what price three?

Regards,

Kojak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak, quite remarkable to say the least. My grandmother would probably have bought 3 and 4 around 1945. Who were your ancestors and when did they live there?. Regards Stoop.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 23:00 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather George Green lived there from around 1910ish until 1917.  His war widowed wife - agnes green (nee dickson) lived there till 1930s with her son, my grandfather.  I have exact dates somewhere...

Regards,

Kojak

:-)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kojak, regards stoop.

Offline eccles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kojak,
Yes, it's a pretty small world - and I'm writing from Australia!
My family is the Paul family, and from 1891 census my g grandfather aged 26 lived at no 4 with his wife & 4 children.  My granny married & moved south to manchester, but Matthew Paul is still listed there in the Kelly's of 1903/4 as a carter & I found planning permission for a stable in 1904, I think.  In the 1911/12 Kelly's he's moved to the end of the street - so dates fit.
A son lived at no 7 until the 20s I think, and the family kept to that small area. descendants, grandchildren & g grandchildren still live in Dumfries.
Do you know the area?
regards,
Eccles (as in Manchester, not the Goons, as my husband immediately thought!)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 09 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eccles,

Indeed I do.  I was born in Dumfries not far from Greenbrae Loaning.

In 2007 I spent about 3 hours every Saturday for about 6 months in the library photocopying, researching and noting down genealogy info in Dumfries (which was in addition to all the online research undertaken).

Whilst at the Library I spent ages looking through year by year valuation rolls (dating from 1860s right through to the present day) to trace family members.  It is like a yearly census of sorts, but includes taxation details.

Since my great grandparents once lived at Greenbrae Loaning I photocopied the relevant years they stayed there (A3 sheets) and on the same print out I have his neighbours.

In 1914-1915 the properties under the heading Greenbrae Loaning were owned by John Wright, a retired clothier who lived at Delvinbrae, Tinwald.  In the four houses listed, John Anderson, sawmiller and his family lived in one. James Hackney, fireman in another, Mrs Jane McLellan the other, and, Thomas Little, a railway employee in the fourth (No. 4 perhaps).

In the following taxation year (1915-1916), the same owner and occupiers were recorded.

In 1916-1917 I see William Paul, labourer was the tenant living in a house with a yearly rent/value of £6 10s 0d.  The property was owned by the Trustees of James Teenan, horse dealer of Dumfries - and administered by Jas. Hiddleston & Son, hosue agents.

Mr Paul's neighbours were my great grandmother (Mrs Agnes Green) and her children (my greatgrandfather was at the first world war).  Mrs Elizabeth McConnell was in the other house.  All had a rental value of £6 10s 0d.

The 1917-1918 and 1918-1919 records showed that the same records applied.

On the 1919-1920 valuation roll, the properties were still owned by the Trustees but Robert Paul, soldier is listed as tenant and his neighbours were William McConnell, labourer and in the other house was my Greens.

The same occupants are listed for the 1920-1921 valuation roll, but the rental value increased to £7 10s 0d.

In 1921-1922 roll record situation was the same except the rental value Had again increased to £9 1s 0d.

In 1922, Robert Paul was listed as a dealer - a situation that remained the case till 1925.

I didn't copy any records for Greenbrae Loaning after 1925 as my Green lot had relocated.

Hope you find some of the above interesting.

Best regards,

Kojak
 ;D